5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light bar Power Wire

chino

Reaction score
The
Chino,

Thanks for posting this mod. I like the hidden set up but have a couple of questions to ask.

Is there enough room between the light and the black grill to clean the light? And coming from the Wrangler world, $200 for a decent 20" light bar seems inexpensive for the light alone without the kit. Any opinion on quality? I see the warranty but ......

Thanks for any help on this item!

I don’t know that there is enough room to clean it, but you can always spray it down.
The light quality is good, and also the light is pretty bright

fireron

Reaction score
The

I don’t know that there is enough room to clean it, but you can always spray it down.
The light quality is good, and also the light is pretty bright
Thanks for your reply!

Gilu812

Reaction score
Installed on my Bighorn Sport. I did have to trim the back panel.

Attachments

• 20181129_154752.jpg
    20181129_154752.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 337

Gilu812

Reaction score
I just crawled under there with a dremel with a cut off wheel and trimmed the backing plate on both sides next to the sensors and then popped the clips off and took the section out. I will crawl under there this weekend and get a pic.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
This light kit will not work on the sport. I went to the dealer and the sport option has the lower grill as a solid piece. The only way you could make it work is to cut the whole center section of the grill out. Therefore it would not be hidden behind the grill and would not be flush to the front of the grill opening. I am not sure if the non sport grill would fit. It appears to be the same shape . Thought about ordering the non sport grill to see if it fits.
I installed a rigid light bar in the same spot, and the piece your talking about can be removed without cutting. There is about 20 clips around the piece and it comes right off.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
I installed a rigid light bar in the same spot, and the piece your talking about can be removed without cutting. There is about 20 clips around the piece and it comes right off.

That’s good to know, how long did it take you to install?

Jordan2929

Reaction score

Drewsky510

Reaction score

drsubie

Reaction score
I've just got around to installing this RC 20" light bar, and I've got the bar itself installed,
Hi all,
I installed a RC 20 inch light bar inside the bottom grille, install went great and simple, now the wiring harness is somewhat of an issue, the instructions tell you to hook it up to the + and - side of the battery, but i do not want constant power being drawn, the switch turns it off and on but I do not want that switch to be powered unless the truck or accessories are on. Other than that the light looks great. Any ideas on a ignition wire inside the hood? The harness is inside the hood and I don’t want to have the harness and relays inside the cab. Thanks

--did you ever figure out the wiring so that the light bar isn't always power-on?

--my version of the RC kit came w/ a 3-way SPDT rocker switch...

I've just got around to installing this light bar, and I've got the bar itself installed, gonna finish up the wiring.

Some tips that might help someone looking to do this:

• It's easiest to just pull the front bumper off... I initially followed RC's included directions, but I had a hell of a time working in a confined space, on my back, trying to get those stupid click-tabs off. Taking off the front bumper was super easy, and it will allow full unfettered access to removing the plastic air deflector piece behind the grill and installing the light bar is much easier
  • RC's directions also mentioned to remove the lower plastic spoiler, not sure why, but if you remove the bumper, you won't need to do this
  • RC's wiring harness hooks up directly to the battery--as mentioned, this will leave your switch always ON, even with the car shut off. Presumably the rocker switch will also be always lit up...I want to hook this up so that the RELAYS are hooked up to constant power, but the power to the SWITCH will be from a keyed-on ignition in the cab, same w/ how I wired my radar detector. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just need to splice the wiring harness to pull keyed-on power to the switch...
  • Still need to figure out where to mount the rocker switch. I'm thinking on the plastic panel beneath the steering wheel, lower left, but have to check on depth available as the rocker switch is pretty deep...

20181219_165132.jpg

Reaction score
How did you separate the lower grille mesh, I just checked mine, seems it is one piece, not able to separate at all.

Any idea?

Attachments

• 2018-12-04 16.02.20.jpg
    2018-12-04 16.02.20.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
I've just got around to installing this RC 20" light bar, and I've got the bar itself installed,

--did you ever figure out the wiring so that the light bar isn't always power-on?

--my version of the RC kit came w/ a 3-way SPDT rocker switch...

I've just got around to installing this light bar, and I've got the bar itself installed, gonna finish up the wiring.

Some tips that might help someone looking to do this:

• It's easiest to just pull the front bumper off... I initially followed RC's included directions, but I had a hell of a time working in a confined space, on my back, trying to get those stupid click-tabs off. Taking off the front bumper was super easy, and it will allow full unfettered access to removing the plastic air deflector piece behind the grill and installing the light bar is much easier
  • RC's directions also mentioned to remove the lower plastic spoiler, not sure why, but if you remove the bumper, you won't need to do this
  • RC's wiring harness hooks up directly to the battery--as mentioned, this will leave your switch always ON, even with the car shut off. Presumably the rocker switch will also be always lit up...I want to hook this up so that the RELAYS are hooked up to constant power, but the power to the SWITCH will be from a keyed-on ignition in the cab, same w/ how I wired my radar detector. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just need to splice the wiring harness to pull keyed-on power to the switch...
  • Still need to figure out where to mount the rocker switch. I'm thinking on the plastic panel beneath the steering wheel, lower left, but have to check on depth available as the rocker switch is pretty deep...

View attachment 11179

May I ask how did you remove this piece
file

Seems my 19 RAM's lower grill insert is one piece, not able to separate the mesh with the back piece at all. Any idea?

Muttmutt

Reaction score
May I ask how did you remove this piece
file

Seems my 19 RAM's lower grill insert is one piece, not able to separate the mesh with the back piece at all. Any idea?

I have the Laramie sport and that grill is 1 piece. There is no back that comes off

Reaction score
So LARAMIE Sport is the only trim that this product will not work. How about Big Horn or Lone Star?

drsubie

Reaction score
That plastic wind deflector came off of my '19 Limited...so it's likely your model is different... sorry can't be much more help

Users who are viewing this thread