5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

california hauler

Reaction score
Why is it dead?

I'm still using mine and totally happy with it.
It seemed like the topic was dead I guess as there had been a lot of activity on this thread then it died 8-9 months ago. Thankfully there is still life and it seems like some new solutions I was not aware of.

cbel1500

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and wanted to say thanks for the write up and suggestions about the different types of reverse lights. Was really looking into the XTR LP Reverse Light and with this write up it my decision much easier.

Purchased the XTR LP Reverse Light and Curt wiring harness last week and installed it tonight. Great addition! I have the multifunction tailgate and have no issues with hitting.

Again thanks for the write up! Made installation easy.

Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score
So I thought I'd put an update in here regarding my VLED plate lamp. I got mine back in September and it would not fit on top of the plate without some contact with the tailgate when opened. I ended up installing it on the bottom of the plate; unfortunately the rear bumper really blocked alot of the light that would shine directly behind the truck. See these first two photos. You can see how far the lamp shines, but it was providing no added light directly behind the truck where I wanted it: 2020-10-27 20.45.15 before Bottom.jpg 2020-10-27 20.48.51 before Botton.jpg

Today I decided to make it work on the top of the plate. Someone on facebook had done this and told me about it.
I took some tin snips and cut the lower part of the plate off, and then lowered the plate down. It was pretty easy. You can see the new holes slightly below the original in the photo below. The lamp works much better on the top of the plate, and as far as I can tell I won't have any issues with the tailgate hitting it when open now.
I was looking into trying to adjust the rear bumper but as far as I can tell there is no adjustment. It bolts to the hitch and the hitch is bolted to frame with no adj.

2020-10-29 16.34.27 Lower Holes.jpg 2020-10-29 16.43.41.jpg 2020-10-29 16.45.02.jpg 2020-10-29 19.28.32 after TOP.jpg 2020-10-29 19.34.10 after TOP.jpg

bourgeois

Reaction score
I installed the lights yesterday. I cut the top of my licnese plate about an 1/2" and drilled new holes in my plate and the truck. Very easy. I pushed my trailer harness connection out from the back of the bumper and used the supplied 2 way splice to tap into the wires of the harness. The wires on 7 pin harness are the center and the bottom left. You can see the wire diagram on the outside lid of the plug. I also did not use the extra wire to connect. I cut the plug off from the wire coming off the light and used those wires. Plenty of wire length

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and wanted to say thanks for the write up and suggestions about the different types of reverse lights. Was really looking into the XTR LP Reverse Light and with this write up it my decision much easier.

Purchased the XTR LP Reverse Light and Curt wiring harness last week and installed it tonight. Great addition! I have the multifunction tailgate and have no issues with hitting.

I just purchased the same light and was going to wire it directly to the wires that feed the led tail light. White with a purple strip has been suggested any thought or pictures from your install?
thanks

KJ13

Reaction score

Thanks for your update - based on your success I purchased the XTR LP Reverse Light and Curt 56584 and a 5-way plug to wire the XTR to the Curt. I m assuming I cap off the unused wires on the 5-way, ground the black wire from the XTR (somewhere near the XTR), and tie the XTR red wire to the white 5-way wire (which connects to the Curt). Does this sound right? I've been reluctant to move on this - so hoping someone can assist.

Rupp

Reaction score
I find it odd that on this site
there is a fitment message:
FITMENTS: All US-spec license plate mounts (Except 19+ Dodge Ram)

cbel1500

Reaction score
Thanks for your update - based on your success I purchased the XTR LP Reverse Light and Curt 56584 and a 5-way plug to wire the XTR to the Curt. I m assuming I cap off the unused wires on the 5-way, ground the black wire from the XTR (somewhere near the XTR), and tie the XTR red wire to the white 5-way wire (which connects to the Curt). Does this sound right? I've been reluctant to move on this - so hoping someone can assist.
I was reluctant too, but I soldered the red wire into the blue positive wire, which is the reverse light (middle wire) of the Curt harness. Then I soldered the black ground wire into the white ground wire on the Curt. Then just used the rubber dust cover, that's provided, to cover the 5-way pin.

cbel1500

Reaction score
I just purchased the same light and was going to wire it directly to the wires that feed the led tail light. White with a purple strip has been suggested any thought or pictures from your install?
thanks
Sorry for the late response.

At first I was going to tap into the LED tail light as well, but after reading all the comments on the forum. I went with the plug and play option. It was easier working with the wires off the truck. I also didn't feel comfortable splicing and soldering onto the factory wires. Sorry, I don't know what the color wires are coming out of the tail light. I didn't remove them to check. I also don't have pictures of the install.

cbel1500

Reaction score
I find it odd that on this site
there is a fitment message:
FITMENTS: All US-spec license plate mounts (Except 19+ Dodge Ram)

I think it's hit or miss with the tail gate. No issues with my fitment.

Rupp

Reaction score
I wonder if these guys will have a black Friday sale? I want one of these but at 80 shipped this seems very expensive for what it is.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Both have black friday sale. Going to get one or the other. Im sure it will be a last minute decision.

Scarriere

Reaction score
I did the XTR LP a couple of days ago. Unfortunately mine was one of the ones that the tailgate hit. Thanks to this thread and the advice given, I trimmed the bottom of the plate off and it doesn't hit now.
I tapped into the passenger tail light. White with purple.
The light output is excellent. Almost night and day, hahaha!

Thank you for the great advice here!

rotts4u

Reaction score
Have any of you considered a trailer hitch install of some aftermarket fog lights or specific back up lights? I really want to do something but dont want to risk it hitting the paint on the bumper etc.

slowjam

Reaction score
Any ideas on wiring up the VLED to either that cargo light switch or, in my case, the interior camper topper light? It would be very nice to have this light provide extra illumination in the back as needed. I have a deer hauler that could become a lot more usable at night when loading deer or anything on the platform. Also to have extra light as needed in the back of the truck when nor shifted in R. Thoughts?

U

User_21361

Have any of you considered a trailer hitch install of some aftermarket fog lights or specific back up lights? I really want to do something but dont want to risk it hitting the paint on the bumper etc.

I looked at this, but couldn’t find anything that we really clean looking. Anything hanging below the bumper line would have bugged me. Lots of folks have done it. I think Baja designs even has a bolt on kit for it. FWIW, I love the license plate light. I did have to trim my plate, but it wasn’t a big deal at all.

rotts4u

Reaction score
I looked at this, but couldn’t find anything that we really clean looking. Anything hanging below the bumper line would have bugged me. Lots of folks have done it. I think Baja designs even has a bolt on kit for it. FWIW, I love the license plate light. I did have to trim my plate, but it wasn’t a big deal at all.
Thanks I may just take that route !!

Baldd86

Reaction score
Did you drill new holes for the license plate bolts? If so what bit did you used? I'm going to install my plate tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

U

User_21361

Did you drill new holes for the license plate bolts? If so what bit did you used? I'm going to install my plate tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Don’t recall the size, but that area of the bumper is plastic (at least on my rebel). I did drill pilot holes to make it easy. I also had to drill a hole to run the cable through. I kept the plug coupling on so I can easily remove the light if needed. I think I cut about 1/8” off my plate

Users who are viewing this thread