5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

slowjam

Reaction score
Installed my VLED kit tonight and can't be happier; what a difference. Extra LED completely eliminates and brake light red hue. That was my biggest issue before, if I did not ride the brake light there was "almost" enough illumination. Now I can see my exhaust fumes like I did on my Gen4!
Trimmed the plate along the bottom edge, lower the holes from top 3/8" and also drilled a hole for the grommet in the upper right corner for the power lead towards the harness. I chose to clip the Curt T-harness and wire up maybe a foot of the VLED female wire to it (Blue to Black-White and White to solid black). A lot less wire to deal with!

NOW, if I could somehow install a manual switch to crank these light on-demnd, that would be great! That would be priceless for backup up on a boat ramp, loading deer carrier, setting up the camp site, etc, etc...any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Installed my VLED kit tonight and can't be happier; what a difference. Extra LED completely eliminates and brake light red hue. That was my biggest issue before, if I did not ride the brake light there was "almost" enough illumination. Now I can see my exhaust fumes like I did on my Gen4!
Trimmed the plate along the bottom edge, lower the holes from top 3/8" and also drilled a hole for the grommet in the upper right corner for the power lead towards the harness. I chose to clip the Curt T-harness and wire up maybe a foot of the VLED female wire to it (Blue to Black-White and White to solid black). A lot less wire to deal with!

NOW, if I could somehow install a manual switch to crank these light on-demnd, that would be great! That would be priceless for backup up on a boat ramp, loading deer carrier, setting up the camp site, etc, etc...any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated!
Ram schematic reverse bed lights.JPG
This is how I wired up my reverse lights and a set of lights for my tailgate (states bed lights in note). It enables me to work on my tailgate area and also lights up the path behind the truck. I have a separate set of LED strip lights mounted to my bed rails for inside the bed on a separate switch. As you can see from the pictures it is mounted to the cover hole for the factory OEM bed lights. The center position of the switch shuts off power to the lights all together. I purchased the DPDT switch on ebay and very carefully cut out the hole for the switch.
You can set up additional lights from your trailer harness utilizing the white wire and a ground and put those where you see fit. BE CAREFUL not to leave them on though. I'm still planning on putting some sort of timer on my LED strips to prevent leaving them on due to CRS condition.

IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0877.JPG Ram lights  DPDT switch .jpg Ram lights LEDs bed.jpg

Background: This started with the reverse lights utilizing the curt 5 wire harness and 5 wire adapter. If anyone is starting from scratch use the 7 wire harness from Curt which will have the auxiliary wire. If you use the 5 wire you will have to tap into the white wire somehow for power off of the trailer harness or find another power source.

start at post 27

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
View attachment 77294
This is how I wired up my reverse lights and a set of lights for my tailgate (states bed lights in note). It enables me to work on my tailgate area and also lights up the path behind the truck. I have a separate set of LED strip lights mounted to my bed rails for inside the bed on a separate switch. As you can see from the pictures it is mounted to the cover hole for the factory OEM bed lights. The center position of the switch shuts off power to the lights all together. I purchased the DPDT switch on ebay and very carefully cut out the hole for the switch.
You can set up additional lights from your trailer harness utilizing the white wire and a ground and put those where you see fit. BE CAREFUL not to leave them on though. I'm still planning on putting some sort of timer on my LED strips to prevent leaving them on due to CRS condition.

View attachment 77296 View attachment 77297 View attachment 77298 View attachment 77299 View attachment 77300 View attachment 77301

IMG_0888.JPG Protecting the wires. Attention to detail or OCD?:)

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I am waiting for wiring harness and will schedule the install later.
I will do anything but wiring... and plumbing...

Jako

Reaction score
I am waiting for wiring harness and will schedule the install later.
I will do anything but wiring... and plumbing...
Do any of these make the list: carpentry, roofing, siding, landscaping and so forth.

My father in law did plumbing and also installed boilers. Never learned the electrical aspect. Heavy dirty work versus the light clean stuff.

What's the worse that could happen doing the work? A flood or an electrical fire where the house burns down? LOL
Necessity is the mother of invention and being broke is the father of learning to do things yourself. Being short on funds enabled me to do a lot of self educating, no degrees though, opposite of college today - many degrees but no education.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Do any of these make the list: carpentry, roofing, siding, landscaping and so forth.

My father in law did plumbing and also installed boilers. Never learned the electrical aspect. Heavy dirty work versus the light clean stuff.

What's the worse that could happen doing the work? A flood or an electrical fire where the house burns down? LOL
Necessity is the mother of invention and being broke is the father of learning to do things yourself. Being short on funds enabled me to do a lot of self educating, no degrees though, opposite of college today - many degrees but no education.

Specialize in where you can make money. Find a friend who does that which you cannot.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I've seen some of my friend's work, it is better than my service with Ram but not as good as mine. Tired of doing work over.
Did enough of my own work to know that I do not want to void my 100k bumper to bumper warranty or spend more of my time. Plus, this is America, it’s important to be able to point a finger and make someone else liable.

Jako

Reaction score
Did enough of my own work to know that I do not want to void my 100k bumper to bumper warranty or spend more of my time. Plus, this is America, it’s important to be able to point a finger and make someone else liable.
No one is at fault in America, it is the system or Donald Trump, well maybe till January 20th, or maybe me. LOL

Jako

Reaction score
Lifetime warranty - agree, I do a lot of "work" stopped at cars but not my motorcycles.

zlman

Reaction score
That looks really clean! Does it improve the camera view at night? Any idea if this can be utilized with a tailgate light bar?
Yes it really helps light up the area at night, I would think it will work with any combination of lights that you'd like.

Baldd86

Reaction score
Got my vleds license plate installed today, I trimmed my license plate a bit and made new holes for the license plate.
c8d327700ad678af5724802a73ab0f3e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Baldd86

Reaction score
Link to where you bought it from?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

k4thdan

Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone installed the VLED LPR on a 2020 Ram Rebel with the split tailgate? I noticed the website says it will not fit. thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread