5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License Plate Reverse light

geotex1

Reaction score
Interesting to see this fitment issue come up. I DO NOT have rubbing on my tailgate at all. I checked this before I ever wired it up. I've got a clear air gap between the light and the opened tailgate, and I just checked with two 50# bags of oil dry on the gate and can slide a business card between! My hypothesis is that it is a function of how tight the rear bumper was aligned on the line.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I have to at light again. My tailgate is touching it. Slight marks on tailgate. I love this light. Second truck it’s been on
Will try some adjusting or move plate lower if possible

sergetexan

Reaction score
Well I went to pull out of drive in dark this morning and no bright light . VLEDs crapped out on me in less than a month. Re checked all connections no issues just no light. For what that charge I expected this to be a quality product. Anyone else have theirs fail?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well I went to pull out of drive in dark this morning and no bright light . VLEDs crapped out on me in less than a month. Re checked all connections no issues just no light. For what that charge I expected this to be a quality product. Anyone else have theirs fail?
As far as I know, you’re the first. These things are very well built.. Contact them and they will make it right. I had no issues RMA’ing mine due to the rubbing, and once they come out with the redesign, I will buy from them again.

Cheers,

geotex1

Reaction score

First I've read with an issue. I'm running 3 myself between both trucks and my camping trailer. Did you verify you don't have a wiring issue?

sergetexan

Reaction score
First I've read with an issue. I'm running 3 myself between both trucks and my camping trailer. Did you verify you don't have a wiring issue?
What checks would you suggest? I installed using the harness method and it worked perfectly until now. Connections are tight and dry . Had a few rain storms this week but everything is dry and taped up.

gisboro

Reaction score
What checks would you suggest? I installed using the harness method and it worked perfectly until now. Connections are tight and dry . Had a few rain storms this week but everything is dry and taped up.
I would start by checking the fuse to harness.

geotex1

Reaction score

If you used the harness method, unplug the flat connector the bar is plugged to and either check continuity between the two terminals used if you have a meter, or use a 9V battery and feed the positive and negative from it. A 9V will dimly illuminate the bar. If good there, check to make sure all of the adapter plugs are firmly seated. If they are, and bar tests good, then I suggest checking for corrosion of the terminals. I personally used dielectric grease to seal mine given the humidity and road brines in winter do a number on my trailer connectors if not.

sergetexan

Reaction score
Ok, checked fuses, re did wire connections, all harness plug good and tight and still nothing. Called VLEDS , Eli sending replacement today. Thank goodness they stand by their product, not many do these days. Can’t wait to reinstall now that I am used to the extra light.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok, checked fuses, re did wire connections, all harness plug good and tight and still nothing. Called VLEDS , Eli sending replacement today. Thank goodness they stand by their product, not many do these days. Can’t wait to reinstall now that I am used to the extra light.
Yeah. Great guys to do business with. Can't wait for their redesigned LPR to come out. I'll be first in line :cool:

Pratherd

Reaction score
They making you send the failed one back? If so, are they paying shipping?

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
got mine all done today. did the folding license plate method and fits fine. Ideally i would've likes to not do that and even use the LPR frame since they look so nice together but this will do just fine.

sergetexan

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to install replacement VLEDS , everything is bright again!!! Hopefully the one that failed was a fluke and not something related to my trucks electrical system. Have to send a picture showing destroyed faulty product. Thanks VLEDS

barakutha

Reaction score
so far the weatherstripping has held up and not scratched my tailgate. I’m gonna drill some holes and trim my license plate for a more permanent solution

128c15af87b183110cc865dee331c2bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeeya

Reaction score
After trimming, I ended up setting the license plate down as far as it would go, resting in slot on bumper. Drilled holes in plastic approximately 1/2" lower than original holes. No rubbing. Had son get on tailgate (200lbs), no rubbing issues.
IMG_8121.jpg

67Woody

Reaction score
I did the same as Zeeya, I trimmed a 1/8" of the top and bottom of the plate with a tin snips, smoothed edge with a grinder and file, then made the top holes in the plate to slots to fit to the top of the VLED fixture. In all lowered the backup light about 1/4" from original plate position and original holes in bumper covered by VLED. No rubbing issue, at least 3/16" gap between the VLED and the tailgate. Love the light for backing.

Bigcountry

Reaction score
I did the same as Zeeya, I trimmed a 1/8" of the top and bottom of the plate with a tin snips, smoothed edge with a grinder and file, then made the top holes in the plate to slots to fit to the top of the VLED fixture. In all lowered the backup light about 1/4" from original plate position and original holes in bumper covered by VLED. No rubbing issue, at least 3/16" gap between the VLED and the tailgate. Love the light for backing.

Post some pictures

Users who are viewing this thread