5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest (tallest) tire on 2020 limited 22" rims (with air suspension)

Lucyassault

Reaction score
Yes...you most certainly do...325 is CRAZY wide! Did your tire shop not tell you this was too large a tire for your truck or do a test fit?

It was discount tire and they said yes, lol. I’m ok with it. I’ll do what it takes to keep them on there. So beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhb1638

Reaction score
Only problem I see after reading all these posts is every size gives a certain degree off the odometer and speedometer with the 285/55 being the worse of the bunch....at about 4-5 off on the speedometer. I like the tire size but I'd need a programmer for the adjustment....
33x12.5 is off 1-2 is anyone was wondering

bwsall

Reaction score
FYI, right now FCA is offering buy three, get one free on tires. I called my Ram dealer and asked if Nitto Ridge Grapplers qualify for this sale, and they do. I assume other Nitto tires do as well. I had them quote me 285/45/22 Ridge Grapplers, and the price installed is about $1400. They will also price match, so once they price match Amazon's price, it would be about $1250 out the door. This is several hundred dollars less than I have found them anywhere else (Discount Tire, Tire Rack). They just extended the sale through the end of May, so will likely pull the trigger on some in the next couple of weeks.

My specific dealer is also offering free lifetime rotations, flat repair, pro-rated warranty, and road hazard. For the savings, its worth it when comparing it to Discount Tire's price and warranty.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
FYI, right now FCA is offering buy three, get one free on tires. I called my Ram dealer and asked if Nitto Ridge Grapplers qualify for this sale, and they do. I assume other Nitto tires do as well. I had them quote me 285/45/22 Ridge Grapplers, and the price installed is about $1400. They will also price match, so once they price match Amazon's price, it would be about $1250 out the door. This is several hundred dollars less than I have found them anywhere else (Discount Tire, Tire Rack). They just extended the sale through the end of May, so will likely pull the trigger on some in the next couple of weeks.

My specific dealer is also offering free lifetime rotations, flat repair, pro-rated warranty, and road hazard. For the savings, its worth it when comparing it to Discount Tire's price and warranty.
You will get Discount Tire to match that deal as well...I did. The RAM dealer warranty sucks @ 2-year prorated.

As an FYI...RAM does the buy 3 get 1 for a dollar all the time ;)

bwsall

Reaction score
You will get Discount Tire to match that deal as well...I did. The RAM dealer warranty sucks @ 2-year prorated.

As an FYI...RAM does the buy 3 get 1 for a dollar all the time ;)
Can you get Discount Tire to match the buy 3, get 1 for $1 from Ram, and combine it with the Amazon price? Dealer is $413/tire, Amazon is $352/tire.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can you get Discount Tire to match the buy 3, get 1 for $1 from Ram, and combine it with the Amazon price? Dealer is $413/tire, Amazon is $352/tire.
All you can do is try but I was getting CRAZY price matching everywhere because everyone's desperate to sell anything during the COVID-era:)

TowMode

Reaction score
I got 35x12.50R20 Ridge Grapplers with Fuel Maverick Anthracite wheels (20x9 +1) yesterday. I have a 2020 Limited. I do not have the ORG. They are obviously a stiffer ride than stock, louder too, but not uncomfortably so. I can still hear the annoying bass rattle more than I can the tires...

They fit without a lift, but rub at full lock in reverse. I would not recommend running them like this indefinitely, they are super tight. I have a BDS 4" lift scheduled to go on next week.

Also, Discount did match the online 352 price, but I wasn't aware of the 3/1 offer. I plan to ask them if they will retroactively honor it. Will let everyone know what they say.

LGBarnett

Reaction score
So, I was watching a bunch of YouTube reviews on the RG and I am hearing folks complain about wet traction and the trucks rear sliding around a bit and hydroplaning issues. With all of that tread capable of ejecting water, I was surprised to read about the wet traction issues. Being in FL with a lot of rain...very heavy at times, I want something capable of excellent wet weather traction. Thoughts or opinions?
My research is telling me that the AT tires (Toyo OC AT2/3 or Nitto TG 2) are better in rain due to lots of siping in the tread. The Hybrid tires like Nitto RG do not have as much siping which robs its wet traction. Siping is the super narrow slits in the tread blocks. This siping is also good for snow from my reading.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My research is telling me that the AT tires (Toyo OC AT2/3 or Nitto TG 2) are better in rain due to lots of siping in the tread. The Hybrid tires like Nitto RG do not have as much siping which robs its wet traction. Siping is the super narrow slits in the tread blocks. This siping is also good for snow from my reading.
Not sure where you're doing your research. All of the folks I spoke with at Nitto Corporate, numerous YouTube videos I watched, and several reviews by tire shops have all said the TG2 is FAR worse in wet weather than the RG and it's noisier. The RG is OK but still not good. I do like the looks of the new Toyo AT3 but it's too new to get several impressions except for the article in MotorTrend where they just did a test and were very impressed with the tire in all conditions and said the wet traction was very good.

TowMode

Reaction score
I can only compare the Ridge Grapplers to the BFG AT KO2. They are FAR better than the KO2 in wet weather. I would not consider them great, but definitely superior to the KO2. They also ride much better, and are not as noisy. There is a hum there but not obnoxious.

Bizkit

Reaction score
Not sure where you're doing your research. All of the folks I spoke with at Nitto Corporate, numerous YouTube videos I watched, and several reviews by tire shops have all said the TG2 is FAR worse in wet weather than the RG and it's noisier. The RG is OK but still not good. I do like the looks of the new Toyo AT3 but it's too new to get several impressions except for the article in MotorTrend where they just did a test and were very impressed with the tire in all conditions and said the wet traction was very good.
Have you decided on what to go with yet?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you decided on what to go with yet?
Actually, I think I have. I need/want excellent wet weather traction and want a comfortable ride without tire noise. Therefore, since I HATE Goodyear brand tires, and their reviews are **** poor, I am looking at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I only plan to keep the truck for 2 more years and I can get the COVID special price of $1000 installed with full replacement road hazard versus spending over $1700 for the AT tires I was pondering. If the Toyo Open Country AT3's keep getting positive reviews, on my next truck, I may very well get the Toyo's...thinking about the RAM TRX when it launches and then wait one year to debug it.

LGBarnett

Reaction score
Interesting that a supposedly more street friendly tire is actually worse for at least some elements of street use. I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos by folks who sell tires and some folks who have them. Seemed to be a common thread about amount and type of siping impacting wet traction. I also read reviews from folks posting on tire rack and discount tire which seemed to support. That said, I would surely give deference to what someone from Nitto is telling you.

LGBarnett

Reaction score
Also, thanks for the heads up! I did have the TG2 on my radar, and with living in Louisiana, I also need some confidence in the rain.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That said, I would surely give deference to what someone from Nitto is telling you.
I never take one persons word for it so, after speaking with one man, who stated he's been in Technical Support at Nitto for 7 years, I called in again a few days later and got someone else. I was told the same thing...that's all I can say. It's not just about the sipes but the rubber compound. I was told by both that the TG2 is very old technology...I think he stated dating back to 2012, and the old rubber compound does not do well in wet weather regardless of siping.

Bizkit

Reaction score
I did 34.34” tires , it’s a 285/55/22 nitto g2 and have very minor rubbing at full lock only on right wheel I’m still playing with inner wheel well and have it all but fixed with minor trimming
What does your gas mileage look like with those tires?

H4vok

Reaction score
I did 34.34” tires , it’s a 285/55/22 nitto g2 and have very minor rubbing at full lock only on right wheel I’m still playing with inner wheel well and have it all but fixed with minor trimming
Hey, how those tires holding up? how much trimming and where did you have to do? Trying to decide between the 285/50 r22's or the 285/55 r22's Ridge Grapplers. Stock suspension with 1.5" BORA spacers...

Users who are viewing this thread