5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest (tallest) tire on 2020 limited 22" rims (with air suspension)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just got a price on the 33x12.50x22 Ridge Grapplers for $1700 out the door (includes a full alignment) including prorated road hazard or $1899 with FREE Replacement road hazard for the life of the tires down to 2/32" so $50/tire for the enhanced RH plan. The Toyo OC AT3 would be $180 less. I also get a $100 rebate so my final cost on the Ridge's would be $1600 with 6 months same as cash. I think that's an amazing deal and going to give it the weekend to think it over. I have now had Nitto, Discount Tire and Mavis Tire all tell me that the Ridge will be quieter than the Terra Grappler G2 as long as I have them rotated every 5K miles which is included free (balancing and rotation free for life) so now I'm leaning back towards the Ridge. They say people having noise issues are because they did not rotate as aggressively as they should. This decision isn't supposed to be this complicated :unsure:

Any final thoughts before I bite the bullet next week?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
They did a free fitment of one they had in stock to ensure that it wouldn't rub. Here are two pics I took while it was mounted on the front left. Nitto RG_2.jpg Nitto RG Closeup.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, I was watching a bunch of YouTube reviews on the RG and I am hearing folks complain about wet traction and the trucks rear sliding around a bit and hydroplaning issues. With all of that tread capable of ejecting water, I was surprised to read about the wet traction issues. Being in FL with a lot of rain...very heavy at times, I want something capable of excellent wet weather traction. Thoughts or opinions?

Fatboy

Reaction score
Bro...all I am telling you is what the Nitto Tech Support guy told me yesterday. He said our OEM rim is 9" wide. The 305-45-22 requires a minimum 9.5 (as listed on their website) and, in his words..."1/2 inch may not sound like a lot but it is in this case it can have several negative ramifications so I strongly suggest you stick with the 33's". I'm not a tire fitment engineer but I'll heed his advice. You can listen to him or not...frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn. Not looking to get in an argument as I know a few folks already put the 305's on their trucks...my point is that this is what I was told by a manufacturer, it's on their website and you can believe them or not. Just stay safe!!!

I am headed out today to look at the Ridge Grapplers and Terra Grappler 2's in person as a local shop has a few I can look at. They said they will order the Toyo OC AT3's too and have them next week so I can look at them as well and them make my decision. It looks like business is slow so they are all having "Coronavirus Sales" and the pricing I am getting now is insanely low :D

no one arguing, just use common sense and look at the numbers.. butyou will get a smoother ride with 285s.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
no one arguing, just use common sense and look at the numbers.. butyou will get a smoother ride with 285s.
I get what you are saying. However, if a manufacturer specs the 305 tire for nothing less than a 9.5" wide rim, and the OEM rim is 9.0", what makes you think it's "safe" and only impacts the quality of the ride? I was told it actually can have a dramatic impact on the tires safety so I'll listen and steer clear of 305's period since I am retaining the OEM wheels since I think they look great.

Fatboy

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. However, if a manufacturer specs the 305 tire for nothing less than a 9.5" wide rim, and the OEM rim is 9.0", what makes you think it's "safe" and only impacts the quality of the ride? I was told it actually can have a dramatic impact on the tires safety so I'll listen and steer clear of 305's period since I am retaining the OEM wheels since I think they look great.

Bro you have to calm down. I’m not running 305s, I'm running 285s.. I never said run that tire. You have me confused with some else short fry. You been told exactly what is what. Thread over. Love it and weep

Attachments

• 63D87864-0DA0-4C94-8153-BDEBC03F637B.jpeg
    63D87864-0DA0-4C94-8153-BDEBC03F637B.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 617

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bro you have to calm down. I’m not running 305s, I'm running 285s.. I never said run that tire. You have me confused with some else short fry. You been told exactly what is what. Thread over. Love it and weep
Totally calm @Fatboy. I am only responding to the conversation. Last time I was called "short fry" was when I hit 6'2" ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think @Ram41313 convinced me to lean towards the 285/55/22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I would rather have the extra height to fill in the wheel well than the extra width which I don't need and would have a far greater negative effect on the mpg. He was kind enough to give me a ring on my cell and discuss his tires...greatly appreciated when folks will go out of their way to help a fellow forum member and I think the pics of his truck look amazing(y) Tire 1 is stock and tire 2 the 285/55/22. Guess I'll need a tool to adjust the speedo...anyone have one I can borrow?

285_55_22.jpg

Fatboy

Reaction score
I think @Ram41313 convinced me to lean towards the 285/55/22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I would rather have the extra height to fill in the wheel well than the extra width which I don't need and would have a far greater negative effect on the mpg. He was kind enough to give me a ring on my cell and discuss his tires...greatly appreciated when folks will go out of their way to help a fellow forum member and I think the pics of his truck look amazing(y) Tire 1 is stock and tire 2 the 285/55/22. Guess I'll need a tool to adjust the speedo...anyone have one I can borrow?

View attachment 50859

On these new RAMs it’s best to go to the dealer and have him red lash your system to add the correct tire size. It’s $150 but well worth it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Latest update...if you weren't aware...FCA is offering buy 3 tires and get the 4th for a $1. You can choose just about any brand. I priced out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/55/22) and my RAM dealer priced out a set of 4 OTD at $1698 which is over $500 less than all of the local tire stores. And...if I apply for the RAM credit card, I get $100 off my purchase so net is $1598. Deal is good through 4/30/2020:)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Latest update...if you weren't aware...FCA is offering buy 3 tires and get the 4th for a $1. You can choose just about any brand. I priced out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/55/22) and my RAM dealer priced out a set of 4 OTD at $1698 which is over $500 less than all of the local tire stores. And...if I apply for the RAM credit card, I get $100 off my purchase so net is $1598. Deal is good through 4/30/2020:)
I’d have to drive somewhere to need new tires...lol.

Fatboy

Reaction score

they do this like every other month. I looked into back in December when they did this.

hey. Be careful, there tires deal are ok. But it’s the warranty and road hazard that they get you on. Bc it’s crap.

At the dealer you pay more per tire than discount tire. Yes only 3+1. But the warranty and road hazard from the dealership SUCKS.
And they will charge you rotation, balancing mounting each time you come. It’s how they make their money backetc.
discount tire per tire is cheaper, but you buy 4 and pay a few bucks more, BUT you have lifetime rotation mounting balancing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
hey. Be careful, there tires deal are ok. But it’s the warranty and road hazard that they get you on. Bc it’s crap.

At the dealer you pay more per tire than discount tire. Yes only 3+1. But the warranty and road hazard from the dealership SUCKS.
And they will charge you rotation, balancing mounting each time you come. It’s how they make their money back etc.
discount tire per tire is cheaper, but you buy 4 and pay a few bucks more, BUT you have lifetime rotation mounting balancing.
You are correct my friend to a degree. It will cost me about $500 more to go with Discount Tire or other competing shops in my area than the RAM Dealer. The RH is 1 year @ 100% coverage (have to pay for the mount and balance) and then 50% year 2. Not great but not bad either and it's no charge. A tire rotation is only $15.99 and I plan to rotate them every 5K miles so the cost is not extreme. I have never balanced a tire for the sake of balancing a tire so there should be zero cost there unless something strange happens to a tire. I think the $500 saving far outweighs the benefits of Discount Tire unless I am missing something more my heavy friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread