5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest (tallest) tire on 2020 limited 22" rims (with air suspension)

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
What's a full size 35?
A full size 35 is an actual 35. 35x12.50x22/35x11.50x22 vs a metric “almost” 35” tire. 285/55/22 is an example or 285/50/22 etc. they are 33.5 or 34” tires not a 35”. Nothing wrong with that but people call them a 35” tire when they are a metric in between size. When I said an actual I just meant a standard full size 35” tire

TyH2009

Reaction score
A full size 35 is an actual 35. 35x12.50x22/35x11.50x22 vs a metric “almost” 35” tire. 285/55/22 is an example or 285/50/22 etc. they are 33.5 or 34” tires not a 35”. Nothing wrong with that but people call them a 35” tire when they are a metric in between size. When I said an actual I just meant a standard full size 35” tire
It‘s closer, but still not truly a 35”. Just like a 33 isn’t true, 37, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 48

TyH2009

Reaction score
What I meant is more of the in between sizes.. you chose the one size that is close in height but still way skinnier lol. Most people choose the 285/50/22 which is a tiny tire.. it’s the same width and not much bigger overall as it is only 33.xx tall. Just was saying I am Running a full 35x12.50. Not a 34.xxx by 11.xx tire or 33.xx by 11.xx tire. I was stating that because people Get confused and spend thousands on tires that are too small looking for their truck or opposite, too big and they rub bad. To each their own, wasnt trying to start an argument over metric vs standard tire size lol.. just clarifying because someone asked what my truck had and how they fit etc.
I’m not trying to start an argument either, just saying that there’s not really a “full 35”,
as they always measure less than actually what it states. Just F rated tires (standard rating) have the height first in the numbers, and then has to do with the height, you can’t call it any more “full” cuz it’s a 12.5“ wide tire. Width shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Either way, agree to disagree, tomato/tomato, etc etc.

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
I’m not trying to start an argument either, just saying that there’s not really a “full 35”,
as they always measure less than actually what it states. Just F rated tires (standard rating) have the height first in the numbers, and then has to do with the height, you can’t call it any more “full” cuz it’s a 12.5“ wide tire. Width shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

Either way, agree to disagree, tomato/tomato, etc etc.
The width is a huge part on whether you rub or not lol.. 11.5” wide vs 12.5” wide is a huge difference but again enough is enough, Move the topic on.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got up underneath the truck last night and even at entry/exit I had at least 2 inches all the way around my stock tire/setup (285/45R22), going up to a 285/50R22, 295/50R22, or even possibly a 305/50R22 should not rub. Am I missing something?
I’ll say though that my current 285/45R22s have a diameter of almost 31” (not 32” as described), and while the tread is getting low, idk if it was ever a full 32.1”.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I got up underneath the truck last night and even at entry/exit I had at least 2 inches all the way around my stock tire/setup (285/45R22), going up to a 285/50R22, 295/50R22, or even possibly a 305/50R22 should not rub. Am I missing something?
I’ll say though that my current 285/45R22s have a diameter of almost 31” (not 32” as described), and while the tread is getting low, idk if it was ever a full 32.1”.
I have 305/45R22 Toyos on my Limited with no rubbing.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered some 285/55R22 Nitto Recons for my stock Limited. There’s not a lot of information out there for those on a stock 1500 with air suspension but I found a couple videos and it seems it will only rub at full turn on entry/exit. Figured I’m just going to have to try it for myself.

TyH2009

Reaction score
I just ordered some 285/55R22 Nitto Recons for my stock Limited. There’s not a lot of information out there for those on a stock 1500 with air suspension but I found a couple videos and it seems it will only rub at full turn on entry/exit. Figured I’m just going to have to try it for myself.
Nice. Let us know your results and pictures of course.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice. Let us know your results and pictures of course.
Reading your signature I’m surprised your tires weren’t bigger with your lift. Is that as much as can fit with the 12” tire? (Trying to get a handle on how much tire width affects fit compared to just diameter)

TyH2009

Reaction score
Reading your signature I’m surprised your tires weren’t bigger with your lift. Is that as much as can fit with the 12” tire? (Trying to get a handle on how much tire width affects fit compared to just diameter)
No I’m sure I could go bigger. I still want to. I just wasn’t sure at the time I wanted a 35”, but now that I’m used to it, I kinda do.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here to confirm that 285/55R22 Nitto Recon Grapplers will fit on a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited (with air ride suspension) and NOT rub, even down to entry/exit; but that is the largest diameter tire you can go to without reducing tire width (it’s the same width tire as the OEM 285/45R22s). I have maybe 1-2mm to spare at entry/exit, but I’m sure everyone’s plastic wheel liner is molded slightly different and you may have to flex it a smidge if you want to hard turn at entry/exit and not rub, but I didn’t have to.
Now idk if you got the 285/55R22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, those might rub at entry/exit if the knobs stick out further than the Recon’s.
Oh, and I’m running about 40psi currently as that’s what the shop put in them when they put them on.

Josh24

Reaction score
Here to confirm that 285/55R22 Nitto Recon Grapplers will fit on a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited (with air ride suspension) and NOT rub, even down to entry/exit; but that is the largest diameter tire you can go to without reducing tire width (it’s the same width tire as the OEM 285/45R22s). I have maybe 1-2mm to spare at entry/exit, but I’m sure everyone’s plastic wheel liner is molded slightly different and you may have to flex it a smidge if you want to hard turn at entry/exit and not rub, but I didn’t have to.
Now idk if you got the 285/55R22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, those might rub at entry/exit if the knobs stick out further than the Recon’s.
Oh, and I’m running about 40psi currently as that’s what the shop put in them when they put them on.

Do you have any pictures you can share on this set up? What are your thoughts on the ride so far?

TyH2009

Reaction score
Simpletire has/had a great sale going on, plus PayPal 5% rebate for them and a MT $100 gift card rebate going on, so I picked up a set of Baja Boss 285/55/22s. Can’t wait.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures you can share on this set up? What are your thoughts on the ride so far?
So one of the things I hadn’t considered when I said that it didn’t rub (which it doesn’t on flat and level ground) is when I back out of my (inclined) driveway or drive over something that rocks the truck a little, then it does rub some at Normal; I haven’t tried this yet at Off-road 1, but once I level out then it’s good. And it’s not every time so it has to be the right amount of turn and rocking.

There is a slight noise to the tires compared to the OEM but I expected this since of course they’ll pick the smoothest/quietest tire to come stock. I hear this most around 30-45mph because going over 50-60mph I hear the wind noise more. It’s very subtle but it is there. If you have the radio on I doubt you’ll ever hear it. I have also heard that after some miles the tires will wear in and it should go down, so I’ll find out soon (maybe). I’m hyper-focused on it trying to hear a difference so I’m sure after about a week I won’t even notice.

The ride is still smooth and overall they look 1,000% better! I love driving it. Oh and these tires automatically raise the truck up just over an inch, and it was noticeable climbing in the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_7973.jpeg
    IMG_7973.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7970.jpeg
    IMG_7970.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7967.jpeg
    IMG_7967.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 165

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So one of the things I hadn’t considered when I said that it didn’t rub (which it doesn’t on flat and level ground) is when I back out of my (inclined) driveway or drive over something that rocks the truck a little, then it does rub some at Normal; I haven’t tried this yet at Off-road 1, but once I level out then it’s good. And it’s not every time so it has to be the right amount of turn and rocking.

There is a slight noise to the tires compared to the OEM but I expected this since of course they’ll pick the smoothest/quietest tire to come stock. I hear this most around 30-45mph because going over 50-60mph I hear the wind noise more. It’s very subtle but it is there. If you have the radio on I doubt you’ll ever hear it. I have also heard that after some miles the tires will wear in and it should go down, so I’ll find out soon (maybe). I’m hyper-focused on it trying to hear a difference so I’m sure after about a week I won’t even notice.

The ride is still smooth and overall they look 1,000% better! I love driving it. Oh and these tires automatically raise the truck up just over an inch, and it was noticeable climbing in the first time.
Oh and I forgot to add, it rained a lot today so I got to try it on wet roads. I could make it slip in 2WD if I gave it enough gas but in 4WD Auto it didn’t slip. It felt much tighter to the road and I was certainly more comfortable driving with the new tires than with my OEM “road slicks” after just 21k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread