5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest (tallest) tire on 2020 limited 22" rims (with air suspension)

Josh24

Reaction score
So one of the things I hadn’t considered when I said that it didn’t rub (which it doesn’t on flat and level ground) is when I back out of my (inclined) driveway or drive over something that rocks the truck a little, then it does rub some at Normal; I haven’t tried this yet at Off-road 1, but once I level out then it’s good. And it’s not every time so it has to be the right amount of turn and rocking.

There is a slight noise to the tires compared to the OEM but I expected this since of course they’ll pick the smoothest/quietest tire to come stock. I hear this most around 30-45mph because going over 50-60mph I hear the wind noise more. It’s very subtle but it is there. If you have the radio on I doubt you’ll ever hear it. I have also heard that after some miles the tires will wear in and it should go down, so I’ll find out soon (maybe). I’m hyper-focused on it trying to hear a difference so I’m sure after about a week I won’t even notice.

The ride is still smooth and overall they look 1,000% better! I love driving it. Oh and these tires automatically raise the truck up just over an inch, and it was noticeable climbing in the first time.

Cliff, thanks for the detailed review. Gives the truck a whole new look and it's nice to hear the noise isn't over the top and the ride is still smooth. I've been contemplating the 285/55/22s for awhile now and have been having a hard time pulling the trigger because I've been so happy with the stock ride. Been hearing a lot of positive reviews though with people that have done it with very few negative reviews.

Josh24

Reaction score
Simpletire has/had a great sale going on, plus PayPal 5% rebate for them and a MT $100 gift card rebate going on, so I picked up a set of Baja Boss 285/55/22s. Can’t wait.
This will be awesome. Looking forward to hearing your reviews on the new set up as well!

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I freaking love it. Not many thoughts on the tires yet, I’ve only driven it about 10 miles, but it looks amazing.

View attachment 158078 View attachment 158079 View attachment 158080 View attachment 158081 View attachment 158082 View attachment 158083 View attachment 158084 View attachment 158085
I was never a fan of the grays but this looks real good.
When you leveled it up, could you tell much of a difference seeing over the sport hood for closer objects?
And how about that exhaust? I’m thinking about the touring; why did you go with S?

TyH2009

Reaction score
I was never a fan of the grays but this looks real good.
When you leveled it up, could you tell much of a difference seeing over the sport hood for closer objects?
And how about that exhaust? I’m thinking about the touring; why did you go with S?
Thanks!

hah front visibility sucks with the sport hood either way. I’ve just gotten used to it. Can’t say leveling it made it better or worse.

I listened to the Touring, S-type, and atak, Atak was too aggressive, sounded good though. Touring seemed fairly tame. The S-type just seemed like a good blend. I figured worst case I could always add the the borla resonator, but I don’t think I will.

Josh24

Reaction score

TyH2009

Reaction score
Little follow up.

So far I’m really liking them. At low take off speeds with the windows down, they’re a tad more noisy than the Recons, BUT at highway speeds, they’re quieter.

These things are big/heavy. For sure can tell a difference accelerating and maintaining highway speeds. I was supposed to have my speedo calibrated at a dealer Tuesday, but it was a different dealer than last time, and they jacked me around about pricing, so I told them f it. Don’t mess with it then. I’m going to go back to the original dealer, it’s just going to be a month. I’ve noticed a drop in fuel economy. Can‘t say how much yet, but it’s there.

It does ride a bit rougher. Running 40psi in them. Not horrible, but people saying E rated or F rated tires feel the same as stock have to be lying or something is off with them.

I’ve driven in the rain twice, no slippage. There is a spot leaving the car wash on an incline that right after I got out, would spin the wet Recons a bit, these don’t spin.

They look awesome. Had a few compliments on them so far and the wheel wells look much more filled out and doesn’t quite have a slight rubber band look on the wheels with the level and 32.80” tires before.

TyH2009

Reaction score
Forgot to add, am not hearing and rub in drive, but in some circumstances, in reverse I am hearing some rubbing when turning the wheel left. It’s not bad, some time I’ll look more into it and fix it.

Josh24

Reaction score
Forgot to add, am not hearing and rub in drive, but in some circumstances, in reverse I am hearing some rubbing when turning the wheel left. It’s not bad, some time I’ll look more into it and fix it.

TY, thanks for the detailed review and glad to hear you are liking them. I've heard a ton of positive reviews from a noise standpoint considering how aggressive they are. The rougher riding part is what concerns me as these trucks drive so smooth from factory. How noticeable would you say it is coming from the 305/45/22 Recons? I imagine you feel the bumps a bit more but overall would you consider the ride quality still pretty good all things considered?

TyH2009

Reaction score
TY, thanks for the detailed review and glad to hear you are liking them. I've heard a ton of positive reviews from a noise standpoint considering how aggressive they are. The rougher riding part is what concerns me as these trucks drive so smooth from factory. How noticeable would you say it is coming from the 305/45/22 Recons? I imagine you feel the bumps a bit more but overall would you consider the ride quality still pretty good all things considered?
It’s noticeable coming from the 305/45/22. Those rode a bit firmer than the stock tires, these ride firmer than those, but those were just XL rated, these being E rated, I’m not surprised. I was expecting it. It doesn’t make the ride bad, it’s just firmer. If you want to keep a super plush ride, you may want to keep stock tires, stock suspension, or downgrade to 20’s, adding sidewall may help.

naterizzle

Reaction score
285/55r22 with it in kneeling mode, these are the Toyo OC ATIII. Similar don't gear any rubbing.

View attachment 158569

Significant rubbing at that level at full lock, I assume? I'm thinking of going 295/50R22 on my '22 Limited with stock air suspension. Would be 0.7" smaller tire diameter than yours. Hoping it fits and can run with no rubbing at Aero (not as concerned with Entry/Exit, but would be nice to not rub there too).

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Significant rubbing at that level at full lock, I assume? I'm thinking of going 295/50R22 on my '22 Limited with stock air suspension. Would be 0.7" smaller tire diameter than yours. Hoping it fits and can run with no rubbing at Aero (not as concerned with Entry/Exit, but would be nice to not rub there too).
I don't have air suspension, but doesn't it lower to aero only above a certain speed? Then how much steering angle can you get safely on the street at that speed, excluding dirt track racing, of course?

naterizzle

Reaction score
I don't have air suspension, but doesn't it lower to aero only above a certain speed? Then how much steering angle can you get safely on the street at that speed, excluding dirt track racing, of course?
As far as I can tell, it will only lower from Offroad modes to Normal above a certain speed. Aero I believe you have to select yourself. That being said, this is our family daily driver, and my wife will get in and drive regardless of what setting it's in LOL so I'd prefer to have zero rubbing at any levels.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it will only lower from Offroad modes to Normal above a certain speed. Aero I believe you have to select yourself. That being said, this is our family daily driver, and my wife will get in and drive regardless of what setting it's in LOL so I'd prefer to have zero rubbing at any levels.
Air ride suspension will go to aero if you are like 65-70 and up. You can not select ride height once you hit those speeds. It will raise back up wants it senses you have slowed down to 50 or so.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I freaking love it. Not many thoughts on the tires yet, I’ve only driven it about 10 miles, but it looks amazing.

View attachment 158078 View attachment 158079 View attachment 158080 View attachment 158081 View attachment 158082 View attachment 158083 View attachment 158084 View attachment 158085
I wish they would’ve painted the wheel lug holes. I upgraded to the black lug nuts and since they are smaller I hate seeing the chrome metal color show through. Thinking of painting it.

naterizzle

Reaction score
Air ride suspension will go to aero if you are like 65-70 and up. You can not select ride height once you hit those speeds. It will raise back up wants it senses you have slowed down to 50 or so.
I have driven mine in Normal at 70-80mph and pretty sure it didn't go to Aero, but I will confirm for sure next time I'm on the freeway!

Users who are viewing this thread