5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyless entry keypad

Skater

Reaction score
Here is the deal with those keyless entry pads, which mostly Fords have, but GMC now offers on its HDs:

BoDarville

Reaction score
Short answer, yes. If someone breaks into the truck without entering the door code, I understand the keys will not start the truck. I never removed the keys from the center console in my F-150. I just locked the door and walked away. It is just as easy to remember to push the remote button to lock the door as it is to push the door lock button on the door handle. I could check if I locked my F-150 with my phone… now with my Ram I have to pay a monthly fee to do that on my phone or Apple watch, and I do not have the keypad. If you have never used/needed the Ford keypad, it may be difficult to grasp the convenience it offers. I just hate carrying keys, and I guess so too do many Tesla owners who have now had their electronic keys put into a chip and inserted under the skin in their hand to unlock their cars. I do not want to go that far, I just would very much appreciate a keypad like I had on my F-150.
My wife has an Expedition, and does the same thing. She rarely if ever takes the keys out of the truck, and just uses the keypad all time. She's kind of prone to losing things, so it's been really nice at least to not have her lose the fob. We live in a super safe area and park in the garage at home. I really have no concern at all that someone is going to steal it. I'd love to have a keypad for my Ram, if only for the boat ramp. I'm always worried I'm gong to lose my keys at the bottom of the lake - I've forgotten it was still in my pocket and almost jumped in before.

Krootz

Reaction score
My wife has an Expedition, and does the same thing. She rarely if ever takes the keys out of the truck, and just uses the keypad all time. She's kind of prone to losing things, so it's been really nice at least to not have her lose the fob. We live in a super safe area and park in the garage at home. I really have no concern at all that someone is going to steal it. I'd love to have a keypad for my Ram, if only for the boat ramp. I'm always worried I'm gong to lose my keys at the bottom of the lake - I've forgotten it was still in my pocket and almost jumped in before.
This is why I’d love to have the keypad feature or something similar. My truck is pretty well equipped (BTS) but still I didn’t get the uconnect feature on mine. It would be handy to be able to stash my keys, but even then some vehicles won’t allow you to lock the doors if is senses the keys inside. So yet another obstacle to overcome even if an after-market keypad is available.

Spaz86

Reaction score
amen amen... ridiculous

not fair to pay 250 for it, esp with the leading competitor includes in free.. doesnt feel great..
Unfortunately nothing is free. It's just added into the price

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ShortStack

Reaction score
Well I have driven Fords since 79 and when they put on the keypad entry I was very happy - Don't have to walk in the house, find the keys, go back out and
forget what you wanted to get out the car/truck. Now I have the 2021 1500 with no keypad.
So I have found a keypad I'm going to try and will let you know how well it works - or doesn't.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Well I have driven Fords since 79 and when they put on the keypad entry I was very happy - Don't have to walk in the house, find the keys, go back out and
forget what you wanted to get out the car/truck. Now I have the 2021 1500 with no keypad.
So I have found a keypad I'm going to try and will let you know how well it works - or doesn't.
Watching 👀

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you do if you don't have your phone?🤔 I assume that it can sense touch through the gass.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Viper SmartStart, it's something like $300 for 3 years and an app for Apple watch, Android Wear OS, and an app for iOS or Android. Alarm, remote start, GPS tracking, and remotes lock/unlock all more reliable and cheaper than UConnect.
*I haven't seen the Wear OS app but saw that it exists.

Those with proximity, a hidden key box wouldn't work as the truck would see a key nearby, unless you had it in a faraday pouch/box. Also, the truck wouldn't lock the doors right away with the key inside (eventually will after 3 times to warn you).

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm old enough to have alzheimer's, and can remember to take my FOB with me to get into my truck. Most of the time, some time, kind of, orrrr not. Pick one.🤔But for $300, I'll just keep it in my pocket.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm old enough to have alzheimer's, and can remember to take my FOB with me to get into my truck. Most of the time, some time, kind of, orrrr not. Pick one.🤔But for $300, I'll just keep it in my pocket.
Snap ring to the belt loop and a halyard attached to the key FOB works for me, no digging into the pocket to retrieve. I try to avoid the cell phone, still remember POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) one phone and vague recollection of a party line.
Open my car with a phone, what will they think of next? :eek: :cautious::unsure:
I do suffer from CRS and CRAFT so the snap ring and halyard keep me and the FOB attached at the hip. The halyard works for my glasses also. Maybe if I attach a halyard to my cell phone maybe I'll remember to take it. :unsure::) Now if I could just remember the cell number!

Trigger snap.png

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Snap ring to the belt loop and a halyard attached to the key FOB works for me, no digging into the pocket to retrieve. I try to avoid the cell phone, still remember POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) one phone and vague recollection of a party line.
Open my car with a phone, what will they think of next? :eek: :cautious::unsure:
I do suffer from CRS and CRAFT so the snap ring and halyard keep me and the FOB attached at the hip. The halyard works for my glasses also. Maybe if I attach a halyard to my cell phone maybe I'll remember to take it. :unsure::) Now if I could just remember the cell number!

View attachment 97064
PARTY LINE! Oh yea. Had one when I was a kid. Lady on the other line kapt breaking in and telling my sister she had been on the phone long enough and to hang up. Crazy.
You could get one of those arm band thingies that joggers wear for the phone. IT MIGHT WORK. and tattoo your phone # under it. 😅
Old age ain't for the squeamish.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
PARTY LINE! Oh yea. Had one when I was a kid. Lady on the other line kapt breaking in and telling my sister she had been on the phone long enough and to hang up. Crazy.
You could get one of those arm band thingies that joggers wear for the phone. IT MIGHT WORK. and tattoo your phone # under it. 😅
Old age ain't for the squeamish.
Thanks for the suggestion of "one of those arm band thingies". Need one on the other arm for my eye glasses so I can find and read the phone. I need a 17" laptop if I'm going to read without the glasses. :cry:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion of "one of those arm band thingies". Need one on the other arm for my eye glasses so I can find and read the phone. I need a 17" laptop if I'm going to read without the glasses. :cry:
Didn't mean to hurt feelings. Sorry if I reminded you of old age related degradation.

dmchugh24

Reaction score
Maybe wrong on this, but if the keys are in the car won't the door be able to be unlocked with the keyless entry by anyone who pulls on the handle? May need to get some sort of cage for your keys so the truck wont sense them.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe wrong on this, but if the keys are in the car won't the door be able to be unlocked with the keyless entry by anyone who pulls on the handle? May need to get some sort of cage for your keys so the truck wont sense them.
The Ford's did not work this way. If the key is inside the cab, the outer door sensors will not unlock the truck. I'm guessing for safety reasons.

If you were sitting in your locked truck, can someone simply grab the door handle and let themselves in?

AlaskaChris

Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Anyone know if there is a keypad we can add??? Thx!!
YES!

Not cheap, but Compustar/Drone has come up with an option. They make a “Key Locker” that allows you to keep your key fob secure in your vehicle and a keypad mounted in the front windshield. You need a Compustar remote start system. I got a quote from the local installer $800 for the PRO remote start and $200 for the Key Locker (which comes with the keypad). The salesman said it's a very popular install for Turo rentals.

Drone service is $60-120/year depending on features for app control of your vehicle.

I'll most likely be installing this on my truck when it finally arrives late this month.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/