5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It really is a strange feature...like they seriously think somebody exited their vehicle 'for good' and forgot to shut it off? If this is their attempt at trying to stop theft DO BETTER cuz this ain't the scenario. To me it only makes sense and has saved me a bunch of times is if I am trying to lock the truck with the keys still in it. I do not have passive entry so I would just toss the keys in the console and forget to grab them when I exit. I always hit the door lock to the lock the truck on my way out so leaving the keys behind happens quite a bit...but the truck is OFF so this would be a good alert IMO.
Unfortunately, people actually do that, and have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they left vehicles running in closed garage. There have been a few times with my wife's Traverse where I hit the stop/start button after parking and started getting out, but I must not have pushed hard enough because the car was still running. Of course I noticed before I actualy got out because the radio didn't shut off, but if I had radio off, might not have realized it since her car is so quiet

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately, people actually do that, and have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they left vehicles running in closed garage.

So because of the few, all must be punished. This feature should not be forced on all of us. If someone feels they need to be protected from themselves, fine, turn it on. The rest of us don’t need or want it so we should be able to turn it off.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So because of the few, all must be punished. This feature should not be forced on all of us. If someone feels they need to be protected from themselves, fine, turn it on. The rest of us don’t need or want it so we should be able to turn it off.
If someone forgets to turn off their vehicle and dies of carbon monoxide poisoning that’s the Law of Natural Selectivity working at it’s finest.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would wager a bet that more people have died in electric vehicle related fires than Ram pickups that were left running in a closed garage.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same could be said for seat belts, anti lock brakes, safety glass, padded dashes, and every other safety item.

CatServant

Reaction score
It’s especially annoying when I’m trying to get my travel trailer in a good location because I’m usually out of and into my truck multiple times.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same could be said for seat belts, anti lock brakes, safety glass, padded dashes, and every other safety item.
Don't need to buckle my seat belt.
No seatbelts in school busses still.
ABS can be bypassed in most cars

I don't get the comparison.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would wager a bet that more people have died in electric vehicle related fires than Ram pickups that were left running in a closed garage.
It's not just a Ram feature.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't need to buckle my seat belt.
No seatbelts in school busses still.
ABS can be bypassed in most cars

I don't get the comparison.
Anything can be bypassed if you really wanted to. Just depends on how much it annoys you and how far you will go to disable it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
$320 for a Tazer and it’s gone. Plus you get some other cool features.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

On the HD trucks, it's easily gone if it has a VSIM and AUX switches, somewhat more work if no VSIM. Just takes a relay or two and some creative electronics.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What if they started requiring breathalyzers in all vehicles. Punish all for the actions of a few. It just doesn’t make sense that it cannot be turned off.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What if they started requiring breathalyzers in all vehicles. Punish all for the actions of a few. It just doesn’t make sense that it cannot be turned off.
As mentioned, pretty much every safety nanny in modern vehicles is there because of a few. Modern drivers have gotten complacent and rely on the nanny's to alert them, or just do the tasks, instead of just being alert and knowing your vehicle. Anti-lock brakes, traction control, Park sensors and cameras have taken the place of just knowing your vehicle and how close you can get to objects. Lane keep assist, emergency braking, auto cruise control have all taken the place of paying attention to the road. Newer cars will even parallel park for you so another skill lost to the new generations. And trucks with auto trailer backing.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have a Tazer and it's still not gone. The Tazer command isn't 100% effective at erasing this annoyance. Last I heard from them they were still trying to make it work with UC5 consistently. Lots of issues.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Tazer and it's still not gone. The Tazer command isn't 100% effective at erasing this annoyance. Last I heard from them they were still trying to make it work with UC5 consistently. Lots of issues.
Yeah, same for me. Kill3Honk works 90% of the time. But still better than 0%. I bought the Tazer for another reason (amber DRLs), and Kill3Honk is a side benefit.

1679400518772.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No one is forcing ram to put in a breathalyzer.
Also no one is forcing ram to make your truck honk several times when exiting.

It's just a company making poor choices. There are a ton more things they could do to help in regusrds to these trucks getting stolen like being able to yank the horn cables. Also the ability to lock the truck when you walk away with the keys in your pocket.

Ram just doesn't care because people buy their stuff. As long as there isn't massive public outcry or an easy way to trace a feature to lost sales they don't care if we like what's in our truck that's just how corporate business works.

If they put breathalyzer in every truck no one would buy a ram and they would go out of business/remove them while sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold and make a public apology for doing it.

As mentioned, pretty much every safety nanny in modern vehicles is there because of a few. Modern drivers have gotten complacent and rely on the nanny's to alert them, or just do the tasks, instead of just being alert and knowing your vehicle. Anti-lock brakes, traction control, Park sensors and cameras have taken the place of just knowing your vehicle and how close you can get to objects. Lane keep assist, emergency braking, auto cruise control have all taken the place of paying attention to the road. Newer cars will even parallel park for you so another skill lost to the new generations. And trucks with auto trailer backing.
It's not for nanny's, it's because the average age new car buyer is 53 years old. Old people like those safety features (I know not everyone does).
Yes at 53 years old you are old, not elderly but old.

Some of the safety features you list are improvements.
Auto cruise control isn't a safety feature.
Cameras are no different then side and review mirrors, are you saying those are for people too lazy to turn their head around and look to use mirrors? Cameras didn't exist years ago to put into cars/trucks or else they Probbly would of used them. I can easily park within 3-6 inches of something without hitting it, no way I could get that close without cameras.
Traction control can be turned off, but then you also must be saying we don't need anti-slip diffs also since that does the same action as traction control? Also no awd vehicle, only 2wd and 4wd since those also adjust for slipping and thus preform traction control for you?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No one is forcing ram to put in a breathalyzer.
Also no one is forcing ram to make your truck honk several times when exiting.

It's just a company making poor choices. There are a ton more things they could do to help in regusrds to these trucks getting stolen like being able to yank the horn cables. Also the ability to lock the truck when you walk away with the keys in your pocket.
So you want a nanny to lock the truck for you because it's hard to remember to lock the doors on your own but don't want a nanny to remind you your truck is running. Little hypocritical.

Ram just doesn't care because people buy their stuff. As long as there isn't massive public outcry or an easy way to trace a feature to lost sales they don't care if we like what's in our truck that's just how corporate business works.

If they put breathalyzer in every truck no one would buy a ram and they would go out of business/remove them while sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold and make a public apology for doing it.

It's not for nanny's, it's because the average age new car buyer is 53 years old. Old people like those safety features (I know not everyone does).
Yes at 53 years old you are old, not elderly but old.

Some of the safety features you list are improvements.
Auto cruise control isn't a safety feature.
Cameras are no different then side and review mirrors, are you saying those are for people too lazy to turn their head around and look to use mirrors? Cameras didn't exist years ago to put into cars/trucks or else they Probbly would of used them. I can easily park within 3-6 inches of something without hitting it, no way I could get that close without cameras.
Traction control can be turned off, but then you also must be saying we don't need anti-slip diffs also since that does the same action as traction control? Also no awd vehicle, only 2wd and 4wd since those also adjust for slipping and thus preform traction control for you?
Stretching a little comparing 4x4 and limited slip differentials to traction control/esp. But that's what some people do when trying sensationalize things. Last I checked, 4x4 and limited slip differential don't reduce power to maintain traction, neither apply brakes for you to prevent wheel spin. If you don't know how to handle your vehicle, a limited slip can actually cause more issues. It will kick the rear end out from under you easier.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you want a nanny to lock the truck for you because it's hard to remember to lock the doors on your own but don't want a nanny to remind you your truck is running. Little hypocritical.

Stretching a little comparing 4x4 and limited slip differentials to traction control/esp. But that's what some people do when trying sensationalize things. Last I checked, 4x4 and limited slip differential don't reduce power to maintain traction, neither apply brakes for you to prevent wheel spin. If you don't know how to handle your vehicle, a limited slip can actually cause more issues. It will kick the rear end out from under you easier.
Nope I don't want my truck to lock itself if I walk away and don't lock it, but lots of people want the option, more people then those who want the truck to honk at them when they step outside with it running for sure.
Personally I don't even let my truck auto unlock when I put it in park. I hit the unlock button when u am ready to get out.

LSD is a form of traction control, I also didn't say 4wd, I said awd and yes awd does reduce power to wheels to maintain traction that's the entire point of it. I was saying you think vehicle should be 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, as all wheel drive is for "nannies" because it's another form of automated traction control.

You like some safety features and bash anything that improves upon it.
There was never a safety feature for you leaving your car on before the honks.
Dont you think it would be more useful for the truck to prevent someone without a fob from driving away with it? Shutting off as soon as someone puts it in drive with the fob missing? Nope instead it will just honk when you get out so people know you left it and be silent whole someone else gets in and drives away.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope I don't want my truck to lock itself if I walk away and don't lock it, but lots of people want the option, more people then those who want the truck to honk at them when they step outside with it running for sure.
Personally I don't even let my truck auto unlock when I put it in park. I hit the unlock button when u am ready to get out.

LSD is a form of traction control, I also didn't say 4wd, I said awd and yes awd does reduce power to wheels to maintain traction that's the entire point of it. I was saying you think vehicle should be 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, as all wheel drive is for "nannies" because it's another form of automated traction control.

You like some safety features and bash anything that improves upon it.
There was never a safety feature for you leaving your car on before the honks.
Dont you think it would be more useful for the truck to prevent someone without a fob from driving away with it? Shutting off as soon as someone puts it in drive with the fob missing? Nope instead it will just honk when you get out so people know you left it and be silent whole someone else gets in and drives away.
AWD, by itself, does not reduce any power to the wheels unless combined with electronic traction control/stability control system. The transfer case can't tell the PCM to reduce power. And LSD isnt traction control in the same sense as the electronic traction control systems being discussed. And in the right conditions, with an inexperienced driver, LSD will cause a person to lose control easier. LSD isn't a safety feature, it's to help get power to the wheels to prevent one wheel spin. Once again, you are stretching trying to connect AWD and LSD to modern safety nannies.

Users who are viewing this thread