5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Left Vehicle Feature (Three Horn Chirp)

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I don’t mind the concept, I’m just not sure who decided three full honks of the horn were necessary when the person exiting the vehicle would be no further than a foot away.

Chevy uses a much softer notification, which won’t wake the neighbors or cause people you’re picking up to think you’re honking for them to come outside.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can we have 4 chirps or a gurgling sound when water starts leaking into the cab? The cracked manifold has built-in warning sounds so we're all set there
Hey Scram1500,

If you're experiencing concerns with leaks in your truck and manifold issues, please send us a DM. We'd be happy to get you some assistance with those.

Callie
Ram Cares

Scram1500

Reaction score
Sometimes humor and sarcasm aren't the best approach.

My point was this is pretty low on the list of things Ram owners want addressed.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We'd love to get your opinion on how you feel about the Key Left Vehicle Feature otherwise known as the Three Horn Chirp, or the horn that sounds when you've left your Key Fob inside of your truck or when your truck is left running without the Key Fob inside.
I like it - has saved me countless times from leaving/locking the fob in the truck

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have it in my 2020, and I love seeing all the complaints from those who do have it. I say keep it. :p
am i missing something? I have a 2020 and it will beep if I try to lock the truck if I leave the fob behind. Is there other nonsense that I am not experiencing...because to me that feature is valuable.

rfuilrez

Reaction score
am i missing something? I have a 2020 and it will beep if I try to lock the truck if I leave the fob behind. Is there other nonsense that I am not experiencing...because to me that feature is valuable.
This thread is talking about if you have the keyless start, start the truck and leave and close the door with the key FOB in your pocket. Cant speak for other model years, but on my 22 it beeps 3 times to let you know the truck is running and the key left the vehicle.

It’s super annoying. I hate it. It should default to off and have to be turned on.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is talking about if you have the keyless start, start the truck and leave and close the door with the key FOB in your pocket. Cant speak for other model years, but on my 22 it beeps 3 times to let you know the truck is running and the key left the vehicle.

It’s super annoying. I hate it. It should default to off and have to be turned on.
This 3-honk thing (engine running, fob not in vehicle) was added on the 2022 models.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Gotcha - I'm not sure if that happens with mine. I know it does on our 2021 Cherokee...which isn't a bad thing if the passenger is the one taking off with the fob in pocket. Like dropping ata door and going to park...that has happened to me for sure. With the keyless it doesn't really matter WHO has the fob as long as the vehicle starts...until someone runs off with it. LOL!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems like it was my previous Chrysler that used to run the door chime for the same thing. It would drive my wife crazy when I'd run into the gas station or something and leave her in the car running.

Juse a big note on the gauge cluster is all that's needed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

My point was this is pretty low on the list of things Ram owners want addressed.
To be fair its all differnet departments.
Adding a software switch for something already in use is very easy.

Putting the right parts in a truck after thousands are already sold mid generation? Not so much.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

not me lol it bugs the hell out of me, i will be very happy when they remove it, for me thats a priority, the rest its covered by warranty so im not to worry, and they are probably working on that too

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

it is, im thinking of unpluging the horn until they change that, and if not ill get the tazer but i find it stupid to have to pay for something that should be a option, just like when we lock our doors

Scram1500

Reaction score
not me lol it bugs the hell out of me, i will be very happy when they remove it, for me thats a priority, the rest its covered by warranty so im not to worry, and they are probably working on that too
Fair enough. I'm biased, my 2020 doesn't honk but did have a leak or three

Striker01

Reaction score
How about an option enable mirrors folding when we lock the truck? Would love that!

HemiDude

Reaction score
Thank you for asking. I see no reason why it can't be made optional, as there are obviously some who appreciate the feature. I personally dislike it, and have it disabled through my add-on Tazer.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying the tazer just to disable this stupid "feature".

hogger

Reaction score
Would love to see a more general disablement of the truck trying to outsmart me. Couple thousand miles in, and I keep discovering these "smart features" that make me grumble "STUPID TRUCK!" and long to go back to my 20 year old car every time I trigger one.

Dewey

Reaction score
Would love to see a more general disablement of the truck trying to outsmart me. Couple thousand miles in, and I keep discovering these "smart features" that make me grumble "STUPID TRUCK!" and long to go back to my 20 year old car every time I trigger one.
I agree.
They try to make everything idiot proof these days. As soon as they think they have it all figured out……along comes a bigger idiot.😆

hogger

Reaction score
I agree.
They try to make everything idiot proof these days. As soon as they think they have it all figured out……along comes a bigger idiot.😆
See, that's why I try to design things to be Scientist Proof. That way, they'll have to start making better scientists. Or so one hopes.

Users who are viewing this thread