5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are those better or newer than the ones I linked? They're almost double the price.

I didn't know there are different 'types' of Lasfit 921 bulbs. I bought the flat ones, not the cylindrical ones in your links. I've only had mine installed a few weeks. So far so good.

It says, upgraded version on their website, but I'm not sure what that means. When I searched for bulbs for a 2021 Ram, nothing came up for the 3rd brake/cargo light. I entered "2020" and those bulbs were the only ones that came up in the search. I didn't even see those flat bulbs on their website.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Quick update... I've wanted to change the bulbs back to the OEM. but life keeps getting in the way as I've been pretty busy... But now some good news... I've not got the "Key fob not found" message for several days... everything working as it should with the LED's installed... can't explain it... maybe my procrastination will work to my advantage for once??? I'm going to leave the Sylvania 921 ZEVO White LED Bulbs in for now and see how long before I get the "Key fob not found" message again.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
I'm now at a 50/50 rate as to whether the truck sees the key fob or not... The sticker price on the truck was over $70k and at this time I have 1,500 miles on it. Having a new vehicle that may or may not see the key for doesn't work for me... I'm going to swap back to the OEM bulbs, and then get the "correct" shielded bulbs.

RLee276

Reaction score
Are those better or newer than the ones I linked? They're almost double the price.

I didn't know there are different 'types' of Lasfit 921 bulbs. I bought the flat ones, not the cylindrical ones in your links. I've only had mine installed a few weeks. So far so good.
The last fit red led third brake lights didn’t give me the key fob not found message. But it did Throw some sort of RF hub communication DTC code in my truck.
It didn’t turn the MIL light on, but I do a diagnostic scan about once a week and kept getting that RF hub code until I took the led out my third brake light.
I would have never known it with out scanning the obd2 but I don’t like codes on my truck so I went back to halogen.
I have a 2020 1500 bighorn.

RLee276

Reaction score
If you don’t step on the brake and hit the ignition to acc and the.man press brake and start it will work every time.
But again, who wants to deal with that? I went back to halogen third brake light my self. It’s hassle free. I’ve spent waaaay to much money on 921 led bulbs. I’ve got a big *** 1qt freezer bag full from cheapo to top of the line. I’m done with it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Not always. The cargo lights come on when you open the door. And if they are led it will interfere with starting.

Install the oem led unit or a recon unit and you will have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not always. The cargo lights come on when you open the door. And if they are led it will interfere with starting.

Install the oem led unit or a recon unit and you will have no issues.

I’m pretty sure that’s what causes me to get the message every now and then. Only happens when I park, leave the truck running, get out and come back in. Only a few times a year so no biggy

2020SD

Reaction score
Sylvainia 921 red led lights also interrupt the key fob.
I also have the same brand 921 led lights in the bed lights that cause no problem.
I also have all led interior lights and lasfit reverse lights and led hi and low head lights and switch back turn signals in the front that cause no issues. But every led I tried in the cargo brake light has caused issues.I eventually settled for a halogen brake light in that spot. (2020 1500 bighorn)
So the bulb problem is just with the red third brake light and reverse lights? I would like to replace all the yellow looking halogen to the LED white lights which to me is high,low,fog ,two cargo and two reverse lights

Bob.

Reaction score
I changed everything on my truck to LEDs. Search my earlier posts to know exactly what brand I purchased.

Only issue which might not be the led lighting is if you unlock the truck at night, the lights go on. The auto start won't work. Turn the lights off and it's OK.

Last week after driving mine for over a year It was at night. It was auto started. I unlocked the truck and got in. I pressed the start button to pull out and I got the no key fob warning. I raised it up and all is good. I changed the battery in the fob. Either weak battery or a fluke. Change your lights you will like the change in lighting.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
So the bulb problem is just with the red third brake light and reverse lights? I would like to replace all the yellow looking halogen to the LED white lights which to me is high,low,fog ,two cargo and two reverse lights

Get a led replacement 3rd brake light assembly. You won’t have an issue and won’t need to mess with switching out bulbs.

RLee276

Reaction score
Correct. The RF hub is really close the the third brake light and for what ever reason red led bulbs interfere with the signal from your key fob.
I have super bright white 921 cargo lights and never had an issue or a code.
The lasfit 921 red led never interfered with my key fob. But I took it out because I was annoyed by the code every time I scanned my my obd2 port with my scanner. No MIL lights or anything. I just don’t like to see codes period on a new truck. But with out a scan tool I wouldn’t know they was there.
I still use a halogen in my third brake light and led cargo lights. Led reverse lights. And led front turns. With no codes or issues.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Correct. The RF hub is really close the the third brake light and for what ever reason red led bulbs interfere with the signal from your key fob.
I have super bright white 921 cargo lights and never had an issue or a code.
The lasfit 921 red led never interfered with my key fob. But I took it out because I was annoyed by the code every time I scanned my my obd2 port with my scanner. No MIL lights or anything. I just don’t like to see codes period on a new truck. But with out a scan tool I wouldn’t know they was there.
I still use a halogen in my third brake light and led cargo lights. Led reverse lights. And led front turns. With no codes or issues.
I bought some cheap white ones off Amazon that are really bright. They interfere a nice in awhile so it’s not just red ones that do it.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Get a led replacement 3rd brake light assembly. You won’t have an issue and won’t need to mess with switching out bulbs.

I want the OEM LED 3rd brake light so bad, but I've essentially talked myself out of it now due to all the horror stories of leaking problems after they've been disturbed and/or replaced.

RLee276

Reaction score
I want the OEM LED 3rd brake light so bad, but I've essentially talked myself out of it now due to all the horror stories of leaking problems after they've been disturbed and/or replaced.
That’s a fact lol. I replaced my third brake lights one time and it started to leak bad. Now that it’s fixed I’ll never pull it out again. I now change my cargo light bulbs by popping the the head liner loose in the back seat and going I. That way.
It’s really not all that hard after you have did it a time or two. And that way I don’t worry about the leaks.
These are good cargo white lights. Brighter than most reverse lights. I have tinted third brake and still light up the back yard.
LUYED 2 X 1550 Lumens
LUYED 2 X 1550 Lumens Extremely Bright Error Free 360-Degree Shine 921 912 W16W 3030 24-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs Used For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White https://a.co/d/gXnXdT5

tac63

Reaction score
For what it's worth for everyone, I've posted in this thread before and tried probably 5 different recommended and major named bulbs with all eventually having interference. Sometimes its barely noticeable for days or even weeks sometimes it's very noticeable immediately. I've even added ferrite core clamps with minimal effect.

After watching junk yards in my area I finally found one with a like new undamaged factory LED 3rd brake light housing out of a 2020 ram for a good deal and swapped it in last night....all interference appears to be gone. I can lock and unlock from farther than ever before with no issue so far.

As far as leaking I installed the gasket strip a while back with my previous housing when i noticed some leaking and it stopped it, and just reused it with the new housing, so minimal concerns of leaking so far.

RLee276

Reaction score
For what it's worth for everyone, I've posted in this thread before and tried probably 5 different recommended and major named bulbs with all eventually having interference. Sometimes its barely noticeable for days or even weeks sometimes it's very noticeable immediately. I've even added ferrite core clamps with minimal effect.

After watching junk yards in my area I finally found one with a like new undamaged factory LED 3rd brake light housing out of a 2020 ram for a good deal and swapped it in last night....all interference appears to be gone. I can lock and unlock from farther than ever before with no issue so far.

As far as leaking I installed the gasket strip a while back with my previous housing when i noticed some leaking and it stopped it, and just reused it with the new housing, so minimal concerns of leaking so far.

Good luck. I hope your truck stays dry inside. It wasn’t long after I got the cargo light to stop leaking that out of nowhere with out cause my back glass started to leak. Had less than 30k miles on the truck and already had 2 major leaks.
All fixed now. I have now faith In the factory back glass or cargo light so I seals them my self for piece of mind.

adorms

Reaction score
Hey gang - I have been reading through all of the pages of replies here and I don't see my specific scenario...

Bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with the Hemi engine and I am getting the "Key Fob not Detected" alert when I attempt to start the vehicle. The auto unlock handles and lock button on the handles also do not work.
All buttons on the key fob work properly at all times - lock, unlock, remote start, lower vehicle, drop tailgate, alarm.
I cannot get the vehicle to recognize the key fob even with my foot off the brake, I have to touch the key fob directly to the push to start button to start the vehicle. Then occasionally I get the "Key Fob has left the Vehicle" alert after it has been started.
I do not have LEDs in my 3rd brake light nor cargo lights. There are LEDs in the bed but I believe those are stock.
Truck battery is healthy and the key fob batteries are fresh.

I am stumped on the next step for troubleshooting - any ideas?
I have an appointment with RAM in a few weeks for them to check out the RF hub for water damage and possibly reset my key fobs.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread