5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

Bob.

Reaction score
2021 Longhorn (in case it matters)

I have LasFit bulbs on the roof (cargo and brake light) Another brand in my tail lights and reverse lights. LED's swapped out in the headlights from Headlight Revolution. Lasfit LED interior bulbs in the console and dome light. So I'm covered inside and outside with LED bulbs.
I start my vehicle from work with the remote starter. At home I just climb in and start it with the push button on the dash.

Only 1 time from a distance It didn't start with the remote start function on the key fob from 40 yrds away. I unlocked the truck instead of hitting the correct start button. The lights all came on in the dark, but I couldn't start the truck ( the truck was unlocked / headlights, interior & cargo lights on) I tried again the flashers blinked but still the starter motor wouldn't start the truck. I walked 20 yrds closer tried again and the problem went away. The truck roared to life.

Maybe I thumbed the key fob wrong and screwed it up. Maybe with all the LED lights blazing in all directions at 3 AM with me 40 yrds away the correct radio signal was blocked using the key fob. I don't know.
Otherwise other than than 1 time months ago it's been 100% with no LED start issues .

The Lasfit interior bulbs are wonderful. The factory interior bulbs were so dark. Terrible lighting for a modern vehicle. The cargo lights are 4 times brighter and the 3rd brake light now when I hit the brakes are brighter and come on the same time with the other LED brake lights. Before there was a delay with all the brake lights turning on. No more.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
that's weird. I haven't had a problem yet.

It was pretty intermittent. But still happened.

“Key fob not detected” and it wouldn’t lock with the remote from outside the truck if the cargo lights were still on after exiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I think the strangest thing about all of this is how no two trucks are the same. I tried multiple sets of bulbs and every one of them had problems. The truck always started fine but after a couple of days, key fob issues began. And they would progressively get worse until it would happen every time I started the truck. This happened with every bulb. This happened until I got the Recon unit which has been excellent without a single issue. But now many people report condensation issues with the Recon unit. Wild.

Bob.

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn the cargo lights off or to adjust the time they spend on? If you just exit the truck they go on. They stay on for a while too. I'd like to adjust the timer or tell the program just 10 seconds....
That could fix the guys who have problems with LED's, or in my case save the bulbs from wearing out for no reason.

I know they should last forever, but I don't want to change them out if I don't need too.

There is a switch to turn them on if I really want them on. I looked on the radio panel and didn't see anything for cargo lights.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah you can change exit lighting times. But when you get in the truck they still turn on. So the push to start still has issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
I just installed the headlight revolution carbide 2 LED red bulb in my 3rd brake light. Supposed to be canbus compliant. Nope. When braking it takes 10 seconds for any brake lamps to work! Then they come on but the 3rd BL flashes. When you release the pedal they stay on for 10 seconds! Lol. I have ALFA OBD so I'll try on another day to program the CHMSL and see if it fixes it. Put the halogen bulb in for now. Cargo lamps are the same only in white. They work but sometimes take a second to come on.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone with a 2021 Laramie suggest LED bulbs that work without keyfob issues? I see some people are reporting issues even with the Lasfit :(

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I think the keyfob issue is a bit over dramatized. I have the key fob in my pocket when I get in the truck (I have remote/push button start). I have since putting in the Lasfit bulbs, seen the "key fob not detected" a couple of times .. however, that is only ever shown AFTER starting my truck and all I have ever had to do is hit 'ok' to clear the message - or slightly move the key and then the message goes away. So have I seen it? Yes. Has it once been an actual problem? Nope!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone with a 2021 Laramie suggest LED bulbs that work without keyfob issues? I see some people are reporting issues even with the Lasfit :(
Lasfit 921 for my high-mount cargo lights. No fob interference at all (and bright!). I had used a different brand LED before Lasfit...and my keyfob didn't work.

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
Follow up post. I programmed the chmsl with Alfa OBD, to say it has LED lights after the GTR lighting Carbide 2 bulbs were malfuntioning and problem solved. No interference, no flashing, no delay in any lights going on or turning off. Before I did that , after installing the high mount LED bulb, it was flashing and my brake lights didn't go on or off immediately as they should. So buy Alfa OBD in conclusion!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lasfit 921 for my high-mount cargo lights. No fob interference at all (and bright!). I had used a different brand LED before Lasfit...and my keyfob didn't work.
So, the Lasfit LED's are plug and play for all 3 bulbs? I tinted my taillights and 3rd brake light. The LED taillights are still very bright and don't really look tinted when they are illuminated. The 3rd brake light looks like crap when the cargo or brake lights are illuminated.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just looked at Lasfit's website and they don't show a compatible bulb for the 3rd brake lights/cargo bulbs. I asked them via chat if the 921's will work and they responded with this: "I am not sure, however, I believe it will cause some errors, so I suggest not using it". Does any company make a bulb specifically for that location, that is guaranteed to work without interference?

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I just looked at Lasfit's website and they don't show a compatible bulb for the 3rd brake lights/cargo bulbs. I asked them via chat if the 921's will work and they responded with this: "I am not sure, however, I believe it will cause some errors, so I suggest not using it". Does any company make a bulb specifically for that location, that is guaranteed to work without interference?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0728DYR9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I use. No interference and for $13, you can't beat the price.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I just did another search on Lasfit's website, but this time I used the 2020 Ram 1500. It shows that the 921 bulb is compatible. I'm not aware of any changes to the 2021 models that would make a difference as far as the 3rd brake light / cargo lights and the key fob, so I'm just going to buy them.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did another search on Lasfit's website, but this time I used the 2020 Ram 1500. It shows that the 921 bulb is compatible. I'm not aware of any changes to the 2021 models that would make a difference as far as the 3rd brake light / cargo lights and the key fob, so I'm just going to buy them.
Please report back after your install. We pretty much have the same truck.

Users who are viewing this thread