5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fobs and LED interference

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spoke to soon on my Lasfit Cargo lights. If I open the door and the cargo light goes on, then without closing the door I press the start/stop button, it gives a Key not Detected. If I close the door, no problem, if I turn off the cargo light by pushing the button on the light switch, no problem. So what is the fix for that?
Are you referring to the Start/Stop button on the dash or the remote start button on the fob? And why do you need the door open when pressing either of them - dash button or fob?

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Yes, I am referring to the Start/Stop button. Sometimes you get in your truck and start it up without closing the door. It's not a need to keep the door open, its an option, and with the Lasfit cargo light on you cant start the truck. At least that is what is happening with my truck. Others do not have this issue, so as the saying goes YMMV.

RickWaz

Reaction score
Below is from the Manual for the Ram and I believe that it's been posted before, BUT still a good reminder if you're having some Key Fob issues.

1608127356125.png

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon, still no issues with the 3rd brake light led from lasfit, but the cargos are giving me problems in the ‘21. Strange that I had no issues with any of the bulbs in the Bighorn but the Laramie doesn’t like the cargo led’s.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Well I spoke too soon, still no issues with the 3rd brake light led from lasfit, but the cargos are giving me problems in the ‘21. Strange that I had no issues with any of the bulbs in the Bighorn but the Laramie doesn’t like the cargo led’s.
Frustrating, isn't it.

GB1911

Reaction score
I put the cargo lights from Lasfit in mine. On occasion if I try to start with a door open it will say "key undetected." Once I get in and close the door (cargo lights go off) no problems at all. They are still 1000% worth it for me though. I don't have bed lights, and these give off a TON of light.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I put the cargo lights from Lasfit in mine. On occasion if I try to start with a door open it will say "key undetected." Once I get in and close the door (cargo lights go off) no problems at all. They are still 1000% worth it for me though. I don't have bed lights, and these give off a TON of light.
It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with this issue. And like you I do not have bed lights.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
May I ask what trim level you have? Based upon the issue described I’m assuming a Laramie?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My cargo lights stay on even after closing the door. I don’t have bed lights either. Out of curiosity, when you open the tailgate do your cargo lights come on? I enabled it with AlfaOBD since the factory doesn’t, maybe that’s why they stay on. But I had no issues with my ‘20 which was set up the same.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I reached out to Lasfit and got a reply that the version they sent me were indeed the newer ones, and that it appears that they will not work with the '21 model year. I even went so far as trying to use some foil behind the housing in hopes of maybe shielding the frequency from interfering with the rf hub and keyfob, but no luck. Looks like I may just end up ordering the factory led version after all.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I reached out to Lasfit and got a reply that the version they sent me were indeed the newer ones, and that it appears that they will not work with the '21 model year. I even went so far as trying to use some foil behind the housing in hopes of maybe shielding the frequency from interfering with the rf hub and keyfob, but no luck. Looks like I may just end up ordering the factory led version after all.
My opinion is it isn't the fact yours is a 2021 MY but the issue is because it is a 2021 Laramie. I have two neighbors who recently purchased 2021 Lone Stars (Big Horns) and replaced all bulbs with Lasfit LEDs. They're having zero problems...would be interested if anyone with a Big Horn/Lone Star is having this issue or if it is isolated to the Laramie trim level?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My opinion is it isn't the fact yours is a 2021 MY but the issue is because it is a 2021 Laramie. I have two neighbors who recently purchased 2021 Lone Stars (Big Horns) and replaced all bulbs with Lasfit LEDs. They're having zero problems...would be interested if anyone with a Big Horn/Lone Star is having this issue or if it is isolated to the Laramie trim level?
I think you're right about it being specific to the Laramie. My '20 was a Bighorn and I replaced all the interiors, the cargo/3rd brake light, and reverse lights and I didn't have a single issue. I'd be curious to know what's different on the Laramie that would lead to more issues compared to the other trim levels.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have a Laramie, and guess what, I have a problem with the Lasfit LED's! Let's hear from others that have a Laramie and those that don't, to see if the theroy stated above is true.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thinking is it appears to be Laramie specific. If someone smarter than me can determine what the difference is between the Laramie and Big Horn/Lone Star, then we may find a solution. Do they have the same lens? Same shielding? It just doesn’t make sense RF from a bulbs in a Laramie would cause a problem but not in a BH/LS. Perhaps the Laramie utilizes a difference fob/hub frequency than the BH/LS which is the same as the bulb?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thinking is it appears to be Laramie specific. If someone smarter than me can determine what the difference is between the Laramie and Big Horn/Lone Star, then we may find a solution. Do they have the same lens? Same shielding? It just doesn’t make sense RF from a bulbs in a Laramie would cause a problem but not in a BH/LS. Perhaps the Laramie utilizes a difference fob/hub frequency than the BH/LS which is the same as the bulb?
I’m not sure, but maybe the difference is the passive entry on the Laramie that isn’t available on bighorns.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure, but maybe the difference is the passive entry on the Laramie that isn’t available on bighorns.

I had passive entry on my bighorn using all factory parts and had no issues with led's.

trithumb

Reaction score
yeah I had this issue with a couple bulbs. I used the Tazer DT to switch the cargo light to LED and its still doing it on my 21

Users who are viewing this thread