5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just sold to Vroom...

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Just sold my 2020 Limited 2x4, Night Edition with 9,272 miles to Autonation. Bought it back in August 2020 for $55,567. Vroom offered $54390, then 2 days later they raised it to $54,890. Filled out the online appraisal for Autonation and they sent back $53,000. I sent over the Vroom appraisal and set an appointment for today. Came in gave them the Vroom offer of $54,890 and they offered me $55,000. I am happy to say the least. Best deal out of everyone. Ordered through Aaron at Mark Dodge and I am excited. Now I just have to wait for my 2021 Limited 4x4 Night Edition. Walked away with $9,730.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This shee-it is sure crazy. How are peeps going to pay for these trucks after the dealers mark them up? Are people that desperate for a 2 yr old pickup that they can't wait? Can you get a loan on a 2 yr old truck that costs 20-25% more than it did new?
I get it if yours was stolen or wrecked and you use it daily for work but no other really good reason comes to mind.

That's why we are waiting instead of overpaying for a 4x2 lot leftover that was built in August or September of 2020 and has been sitting on the dealers lot since then... There's 6 of those at Kville now, all 4x2 built from 8/20 to 10/20. Nothing (in a quad cab Laramie) that's newer...Must be a reason why those trucks didn't sell, hmmm. :unsure:

AutoNation already has my 2017 up for sale, actually they did yesterday (only one day after I sold it to them). They currently have it listed at $42,991, from the $38,250 they gave me. Crazy, I could never imagine overpaying that much on a 2017 with nearly 53k on it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sold my 2016 WRX to Carmax yesterday. They offered $75 more then Vroom. 62k miles, stickered at $33XXX, paid $29,500, and sold to Carmax for $21,600. If I don't find a truck on a lot I like in the next 3 days, the money will go towards a 2022.
My vote with your money is to order a 22'...
I would say to order a '22 if you can't find anything on a dealer lot in your buying area that meets your specs. I suspect that the packages on some '22 models will be trimmed down because of the shortages that are happening right now. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just sold my 2020 Limited 2x4, Night Edition with 9,272 miles to Autonation. Bought it back in August 2020 for $55,567. Vroom offered $54390, then 2 days later they raised it to $54,890. Filled out the online appraisal for Autonation and they sent back $53,000. I sent over the Vroom appraisal and set an appointment for today. Came in gave them the Vroom offer of $54,890 and they offered me $55,000. I am happy to say the least. Best deal out of everyone. Ordered through Aaron at Mark Dodge and I am excited. Now I just have to wait for my 2021 Limited 4x4 Night Edition. Walked away with $9,730.
If I could hit "like" 3 times I would have...

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
It keeps going up. I just got another offer from a dealership here in Kentucky for $47,000. That's $7,000 more than I gave for the truck two winters and 17,000 miles ago. Craziness.

I'm going to take the offer, but I have two dealers now in a bidding war so we'll see how this shakes out.

At this rate I’ll break even on the trx hahahahahhaa. Sorry meant to say afford it. Hahahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
This shee-it is sure crazy. How are peeps going to pay for these trucks after the dealers mark them up? Are people that desperate for a 2 yr old pickup that they can't wait? Can you get a loan on a 2 yr old truck that costs 20-25% more than it did new?
I get it if yours was stolen or wrecked and you use it daily for work but no other really good reason comes to mind.

That's why we are waiting instead of overpaying for a 4x2 lot leftover that was built in August or September of 2020 and has been sitting on the dealers lot since then... There's 6 of those at Kville now, all 4x2 built from 8/20 to 10/20. Nothing (in a quad cab Laramie) that's newer...Must be a reason why those trucks didn't sell, hmmm. :unsure:

Dude.....Businesses are.....you need that depreciation. By year end the used will be insane unless they can fix the chip problem. So yes. Used will be valuable. Dealerships need to stay afloat and businesses need vehicles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Dude.....Businesses are.....you need that depreciation. By year end the used will be insane unless they can fix the chip problem. So yes. Used will be valuable. Dealerships need to stay afloat and businesses need vehicles.

Business yes, but how many are writing it off?
I don't have any real idea of the % of owners who are in business and/or take a writeoff but I'd guess it's south of 50%. So what are the other 50+ % doing? Just ponying up over 100% of original sale price for a 2 yr old truck? I like the RAM but it isn't a 65' mustang or anything...

You (and others) make a good point for dealerships needing vehicles to resell, after all, next to service that's probably the #1 and 2 moneymakers they have. Parts adds some to the mix and a few have bodyshops too.
I get it that we are seeing a temporary shift in price, from "normal" incentives/values to an unrealistic 20-25% over valuation. If enough peeps pony up the benjamins then yes, that will set the new standard until supply catches up.

I still (stubborn old fool) don't see the economics behind everyday commuter folk who have a sound 2 year old truck deciding, "F it, I'll just pay over value for another, just cause'...".
Business yes, everyday Joe - ?

Lastly, someone please edumacate me on how banks and credit unions will lend 90-100% of these inflated values then when the market corrects, the buyer is upside down BIG TIME. Don't you think the repo's will start happening then? If I remember, the same stuff happened in the housing market in 2008-2010.

Not trying to argue (hate that in forums), just not sure what's driving this market in used trucks so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

slatersan

Reaction score
I don't have any real idea of the % of owners who are in business and/or take a writeoff but I'd guess it's south of 50%. So what are the other 50+ % doing? Just ponying up over 100% of original sale price for a 2 yr old truck? I like the RAM but it isn't a 65' mustang or anything...

You (and others) make a good point for dealerships needing vehicles to resell, after all, next to service that's probably the #1 and 2 moneymakers they have. Parts adds some to the mix and a few have bodyshops too.
I get it that we are seeing a temporary shift in price, from "normal" incentives/values to an unrealistic 20-25% over valuation. If enough peeps pony up the benjamins then yes, that will set the new standard until supply catches up.

I still (stubborn old fool) don't see the economics behind everyday commuter folk who have a sound 2 year old truck deciding, "F it, I'll just pay over value for another, just cause'...".

Lastly, someone please edumacate me on how banks and credit unions will lend 90-100% of these inflated values then when the market corrects, the buyer is upside down BIG TIME. Don't you think the repo's will start happening then? If I remember, the same stuff happened in the housing market in 2008-2010.

Not trying to argue (hate that in forums), just not sure what's driving this market in used trucks so hard.
Everything is more expensive, not just trucks ( new or used). Lots of frothy liquidity in the entire economy with all of the printed money over the last 18 months.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Everything is more expensive, not just trucks ( new or used). Lots of frothy liquidity in the entire economy with all of the printed money over the last 18 months.
Dat be true' and there's more monopoly money to come.
I suppose that history may be repeating itself with inflationary trends. History tends to do that, despite what the new crop of pseudo-economists think. If they print enough of it, we will be buying trucks with 1Mil notes...
(circa 1923 Germany below)
1621083745354.png

"Dad, is this enough for that 2.5 year old truck you want?"

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone that just took their new truck delivery tried to sell it to vroom or other car buying companies? i am wondering if they would make if they would make a profit?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Assuming you paid cash then probably, but most loans add a few thousand unless you pay off the principal right away, and Uncle Sam wants a taste of the action too

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
So I’m doing the same as everyone else, got all the quotes which are averaging around 53k.... driving by my local dealership decided to go look at an upgrade and EVERYTHING had a dealer markup for ‘market adjustment‘ of $4995. I asked how firm is this and their reply was they will not waiver because if I don’t pay it someone else will.

I was a little shocked, I’ve never seen these trucks go for msrp let alone a markup. So ya, our trucks are worth more right now but so are the New ones due to demand and lack of inventory.

anyone know of a dealer close to the west coast who has anything at msrp or lower ?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyone know of a dealer close to the west coast who has anything at msrp or lower ?

I would try Phillip Olsen at Bud Clary in Washington. From what I know on here, he is the west coast version of Aaron at Mark Dodge in Louisiana. Not sure of their inventory or current pricing, but if they aren't dealing I doubt anyone else out there is.

mophead

Reaction score

Supposedly, CARMAX, CARVANA et al trying to take over the used car market. The prime buyers in the market want to do everything over their phone and don't want to do any face to face negotiations. The companies will have a no haggle price, plus make a ton of money selling extended warranties and service contracts AND of course inflated financing. I think they have a sound business model that will work.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Supposedly, CARMAX, CARVANA et al trying to take over the used car market. The prime buyers in the market want to do everything over their phone and don't want to do any face to face negotiations. The companies will have a no haggle price, plus make a ton of money selling extended warranties and service contracts AND of course inflated financing. I think they have a sound business model that will work.
Thanks for a plausible explanation.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
So I’m doing the same as everyone else, got all the quotes which are averaging around 53k.... driving by my local dealership decided to go look at an upgrade and EVERYTHING had a dealer markup for ‘market adjustment‘ of $4995. I asked how firm is this and their reply was they will not waiver because if I don’t pay it someone else will.

I was a little shocked, I’ve never seen these trucks go for msrp let alone a markup. So ya, our trucks are worth more right now but so are the New ones due to demand and lack of inventory.

Now that's crazy. My selling dealer, who says on their website that they are the largest RAM commercial dealer in the SE, still had discounts as of this morning. Here's a Limited for you to drool over:

2021 Ram1500 Limited 12in Truck Crew Cab

• 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine Engine
  • 8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission
  • 15/21 mpg City/Hwy
  • Bright White Exterior
  • Black Leather Seats Interior
  • Stock #: 212143
  • 4WD
  • Gasoline
MSRP $72,810 You Save-$6,099 Internet Price $66,711

See 4 Available Specials

https://www.31dodge.com/new-invento...lFuelType=Gasoline&sortBy=internetPrice desc#
Notice the $6,100 discount... and it's a 4x Ltd 2021, not some dog. A plane ticket is cheap, or getting it shipped, vs paying that insane dealer markup.

Oh, here's another (of like 8). This one is basically a 2 year newer model than what I have... and it's only a a bit more than a grand higher than I paid in April of 2019!:

2021 Ram1500 Limited 12in Truck Crew Cab

• 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine Engine
  • 8-Speed Automatic 8HP75 Transmission
  • 15/21 mpg City/Hwy
  • Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearlcoat Exterior
  • Black Leather Seats Interior
  • Stock #: 212017
  • 4WD
  • Gasoline
MSRP $67,125 You Save-$5,408 Internet Price $61,717

See 4 Available Specials​

Get Today's Price

BNeal

Reaction score
Finally got my Vroom estimate. They only offered me $51k for it. The dealership offered me $64k, and I would have taken it, but he had no inventory for me to buy.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Finally got my Vroom estimate. They only offered me $51k for it. The dealership offered me $64k, and I would have taken it, but he had no inventory for me to buy.
AutoNation, Carvana, KBB are 3 more options. I tried all 4, Carvana was the lowest by far ($6K) compared to Vroom and AutoNation. KBB was mid-pack.

mophead

Reaction score
AutoNation, Carvana, KBB are 3 more options. I tried all 4, Carvana was the lowest by far ($6K) compared to Vroom and AutoNation. KBB was mid-pack.
Guess it depends what vehicle you have. My Mazda 6 (2016 avg mileage 70 k, great mpg 30+, low maint, and attractive w/ the GT pkg) has almost doubled since Nov. The carmax price has been going up $1000 a week for the past 3 weeks. KBB today has them all beat by almost $2000 more. $16500 vs $14500. Going to look at a BH Granite Nite today. Hopefully they will discount 10 off MSRP and be competitive on trade . My numbers are starting to align again.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Guess it depends what vehicle you have. My Mazda 6 (2016 avg mileage 70 k, great mpg 30+, low maint, and attractive w/ the GT pkg) has almost doubled since Nov. The carmax price has been going up $1000 a week for the past 3 weeks. KBB today has them all beat by almost $2000 more. $16500 vs $14500. Going to look at a BH Granite Nite today. Hopefully they will discount 10 off MSRP and be competitive on trade . My numbers are starting to align again.
Gee at that rate in September you'll get like 100K...

Users who are viewing this thread