5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the used market really this crazy?

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I settled a bit for my truck when I got it last year. I’m seriously tempted to just order the exact one I want since the used market is so nuts. The dealer I’ve used for my last two trucks only has one ecodiesel in stock. I don’t need to worry about the chip shortages because I’m a big horn guy and don’t want any of the tech or safety packages. Main things I want that I don’t have is the 6’-4” bed, LED light package and bed utility group. would likely get the north edition and patriot blue
No matter what model you buy or what packages you get, that new Ram will still have hundreds and in some cases thousands of microchips in it. So there is no escaping the microchip shortage.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember my grandpa saying during ww2 there was a price freeze on new cars so the dealers titled them or something so they could sell them as used and raise prices.

Dealers still do that with aging inventory.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They must be, I've ran mine through them multiple times without much contact at all. Actually just ran my 17 through vroom again last night, here's my progression on my trucks value:

3/6 trade in value $30,000
4/10 Carvana $32,965
4/12 AutoNation $34,500
5/6 Vroom $37,470

At this point that vroom offer is nearly $2,000 more than I paid for the truck on 4.26.19. From what all I've heard though, seems like Carvana is the easiest to deal with in terms of getting a check instantly (or driving it to autonation about 3 hours away), so hopefully either Carvana or Autonation can get their bids higher when my new truck is finally arriving.

Just to update this post, I ran my truck through autonation again last night and they came back at $39,500. So this week I will be selling them my 17 and gambling that my 21 will be built and arriving hopefully in the next month. Don't want to be truckless but coming out $4,000 more than I paid 2 years and 35k miles ago is too temping to pass up.

ldoh

Reaction score
Just to update this post, I ran my truck through autonation again last night and they came back at $39,500. So this week I will be selling them my 17 and gambling that my 21 will be built and arriving hopefully in the next month. Don't want to be truckless but coming out $4,000 more than I paid 2 years and 35k miles ago is too temping to pass up.

As long as you get your 2021 it's a good move. And that potential trade-in tax savings is marginal given the dealer's almost certain low-ball offer.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you get your 2021 it's a good move. And that potential trade-in tax savings is marginal given the dealer's almost certain low-ball offer.

Yep, certainly a bit of a gamble if the 21 has complications or further delays, by mid to late June I would be stressing a little by not having my truck for some trips we have.

And I agree on the sales tax savings for trading in, I always trade in but in this scenario I'm way better off going this route. The way I was looking at it was, my trade in offer at my time of ordering back in March was $30,000, and that was pretty standard from carvana and vroom at that time as well. By not trading in at that price, I would be paying an additional $2500 in sales tax, so anything over $33,000 would cover that difference and then some. So at nearly $10k more than my original trade offer, it's a no brainer. I will have to have the new truck shipped up here so that will be additional cost, however, the trip from NY to LA and back would exceed the cost of shipping the new truck up here.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, certainly a bit of a gamble if the 21 has complications or further delays, by mid to late June I would be stressing a little by not having my truck for some trips we have.

And I agree on the sales tax savings for trading in, I always trade in but in this scenario I'm way better off going this route. The way I was looking at it was, my trade in offer at my time of ordering back in March was $30,000, and that was pretty standard from carvana and vroom at that time as well. By not trading in at that price, I would be paying an additional $2500 in sales tax, so anything over $33,000 would cover that difference and then some. So at nearly $10k more than my original trade offer, it's a no brainer. I will have to have the new truck shipped up here so that will be additional cost, however, the trip from NY to LA and back would exceed the cost of shipping the new truck up here.

It is strange how much lower I found dealers offering on trade than the internet guys.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plugged into Vroom, offer is $50,739

So not terribly crazy. Ordering new would cost me ~$57,500+ttl so basically not worth it. If they hit me at $55k I’d probably take a closer look

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is strange how much lower I found dealers offering on trade than the internet guys.
Not really strange to me. In fact, when I brought up the difference they immediately mentioned the sales tax savings when trading in. I'd be interested to know what dealerships are offering in states that make you pay sales tax on the full price and not just on the difference.

Nova90

Reaction score
Not really strange to me. In fact, when I brought up the difference they immediately mentioned the sales tax savings when trading in. I'd be interested to know what dealerships are offering in states that make you pay sales tax on the full price and not just on the difference.
So, then the dealer wants to profit from the consumer's sales tax savings

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer has 21 new Rams on the lot: 19 are 4th gens and two are 1500 Limiteds. No Ram HDs at all.

The Ford dealer down the street has six new F-150s and three Superduties.

The Chevy dealer has seven new 1500 Silverados, and five HDs.

Oddly, none of the three dealers I've mentioned have much used inventory, either.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050308 miles.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a trade in offer but it is still about $6-7K more than what I would pull the trigger at. It is also one of the dealerships that is a scam and plays games which is why they still have the truck I want on the lot. The Ramboxes and the HUD are tempting though!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, then the dealer wants to profit from the consumer's sales tax savings
Dealers gotta stay in business too LOL. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it. You can't expect them to stay in business if they don't make a profit on each sale. I'm not saying I want to personally fund their retirements, but I'm all for supporting local business. I live in a small town, and if this dealership were to go under I'd have to drive for 90 minutes just to get to another Ram dealership.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Trade in is awfully low around here. We have to pay tax on over $10,000

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, this thread and the other thread (Vroom) is kind of baffling to me. I could see doing it if these were old vehicles with lots of miles but most of the people I see posting are trading in 1-3 year old vehicles with virtually no miles on them. Even if I were to trade and get exactly what I paid, I wouldn't consider it a good deal because my time is worth something to me. I spent a lot of time getting this truck set up just the way I want it; I spent a lot of time looking for the truck in the first place, finding one with the options and color I wanted. Getting recalls done. Doing the paperwork. ETC. I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to go through putting the wheel well liners in again or the bed steps :p

Maybe I just see it different because I tend to keep vehicles for 10-20 years and 175k miles, and maybe I would think differently if I was putting 25k miles a year on my truck and now could start over for free, but I don't think the people that are getting top dollar like that are in that boat - most of the people I see thinking about it have less than 20k miles on their vehicles. Maybe if I was in a truck that had been back for warranty work 10 times, that would be a good trade off too. I'm just puzzled by the number of people that would do this here!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, this thread and the other thread (Vroom) is kind of baffling to me. I could see doing it if these were old vehicles with lots of miles but most of the people I see posting are trading in 1-3 year old vehicles with virtually no miles on them. Even if I were to trade and get exactly what I paid, I wouldn't consider it a good deal because my time is worth something to me. I spent a lot of time getting this truck set up just the way I want it; I spent a lot of time looking for the truck in the first place, finding one with the options and color I wanted. Getting recalls done. Doing the paperwork. ETC. I certainly wouldn't be in any hurry to go through putting the wheel well liners in again or the bed steps :p

Maybe I just see it different because I tend to keep vehicles for 10-20 years and 175k miles, and maybe I would think differently if I was putting 25k miles a year on my truck and now could start over for free, but I don't think the people that are getting top dollar like that are in that boat - most of the people I see thinking about it have less than 20k miles on their vehicles. Maybe if I was in a truck that had been back for warranty work 10 times, that would be a good trade off too. I'm just puzzled by the number of people that would do this here!

I purchased with 25k in Feb/March and about to roll 30k on my 2019

There were two relatively minor items missing from my truck that I really wanted; Integrated Trailer TPMS and tow mirrors.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I totally get what you're saying. And I would normally not have even considered trading in the 2020 Laramie that only had 9k miles on it. But I settled when I bought that truck. I didn't know I was only getting a 23 gallon fuel tank, didn't think I cared about the MFT, didn't realize how useful the 360 camera was, and had almost no experience with ACC, and really wanted a white truck. My new truck has all that, so this one is the truck I should have bought 18 months ago.

Last edited:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I totally get what you're saying. And I would normally not have even considered trading in the 2020 Laramie that only had 9k miles on it. But I settled when I bought that truck. I didn't know I was only getting a 23 gallon fuel tank, didn't think I cared about the MFT, didn't realize how useful the 360 camera was, and had almost no experience with AAC, and really wanted a white truck. My new truck has all that, so this one is the truck I should have bought 18 months ago.
My story is similar: when I got my 2019 Laramie, it was used with 6,400 miles on it. I was torn between it and a new Longhorn with the 360 camera, the color I wanted (Delmonico Red) and some other goodies. I wanted the Longhorn, but I went with the practical, money saving choice.

I love my Laramie, but I wanted a Longhorn since the 2010 debut, and I had a bit of buyers remorse ever since.

Now that my Laramie is worth more than I paid for it, and I learned how to get a great deal thanks to this forum, I decided, what the heck, get the exact truck I want and keep THAT for ten years. More importantly, I got the wife’s blessing to splurge.

And this actually worked out better than had I brought the Longhorn in the first place, because I’ve since learned that I want features that one didn’t have, including the 6’4” bed and ORG. Plus the Technology Group which wasn’t an option then.

Everyone’s situation is different, but this decision made sense for me at this time.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was negotiating three weeks ago Carvana was at $48,700ish on my Laramie. The dealer I ordered from was at $47,650. That price is locked in as a minimum, and could go higher at delivery if the market keeps going how it is. I save about $2,500 trading because of sales tax benefits. Canrvana and Zoom are now at about $49,500.

Johnnyb001

Reaction score
Meh, if it worked out where I could trade in and have driven one of these trucks for essentially free (or awful close to it) for 1-3 years and 5000-30000 miles, to me that’s a no brainer. Brand new identical or even upgraded truck, brand new warranty, and all it’s costing you is a couple of hours of your time?

Users who are viewing this thread