5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the used market really this crazy?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 ram bighorn 5.7 hemi crewcab. Level 1 package (8inch screen) , upgraded speakers, sport package, 20 inch factory wheels, came with a bed cover and bed liner. 21k miles. Payed $35,145 pre tax and fees. Did I get a good deal ? I really couldn’t wait, needed a truck for my business
In general, I think you did OK considering this market. People will tell you they got great deals in 2019 or 2020 (March/April/end of year with Employee Pricing), but there is a difference between new and used. There is also a HUGE difference in the market now vs. even February, especially the used market. If you feel good about the deal that is all that matters. Again, I think you did OK in the current market.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I settled a bit for my truck when I got it last year. I’m seriously tempted to just order the exact one I want since the used market is so nuts. The dealer I’ve used for my last two trucks only has one ecodiesel in stock. I don’t need to worry about the chip shortages because I’m a big horn guy and don’t want any of the tech or safety packages. Main things I want that I don’t have is the 6’-4” bed, LED light package and bed utility group. would likely get the north edition and patriot blue
Go for it. I just did the same thing - ordered April 30 because I bought a great deal last year and didn't get the exact truck I wanted. Would have ordered a Laramie again if not for the chip shortage restricting BSM/CP. This feature was very important to me.

But a Laramie how I would want it was within $2,200 MSRP of a Limited anyway, and that is without BSM/CP. A Laramie order would have not had the power running boards and would have had the larger gas tank and trailer brake vs my Limited build (but 26 gallon is fine, the 23 sucks, and I have never needed trailer brake before and know I can add it later for $250 and with alpha obd). Features-to-Features a Laramie was only $400 less than Limited because to get power running boards you need the Level 2 (now B) package.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is also a HUGE difference in the market now vs. even February, especially the used market. If you feel good about the deal that is all that matters.

That is very true. I estimate a new Longhorn would cost me around $58,000. With taxes and warranty I saved about $10k buying CPO vs new.

In today’s environment buying used is the same or more than new. It makes no sense unless you can’t wait for an order.

Booch

Reaction score
Used market is crazy right now. The lots around me are about 20% capacity. I just paid sticker price last weekend for a 2015 car (for my 16 yr old). Any decent car is gone within a day. Try to negotiate, they just say "nope".

ifrankyr

Reaction score
Go for it. I just did the same thing - ordered April 30 because I bought a great deal last year and didn't get the exact truck I wanted. Would have ordered a Laramie again if not for the chip shortage restricting BSM/CP. This feature was very important to me.

But a Laramie how I would want it was within $2,200 MSRP of a Limited anyway, and that is without BSM/CP. A Laramie order would have not had the power running boards and would have had the larger gas tank and trailer brake vs my Limited build (but 26 gallon is fine, the 23 sucks, and I have never needed trailer brake before and know I can add it later for $250 and with alpha obd). Features-to-Features a Laramie was only $400 less than Limited because to get power running boards you need the Level 2 (now B) package.
Thanks for your input. Curious how much did your limited come out to ?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I settled a bit for my truck when I got it last year. I’m seriously tempted to just order the exact one I want since the used market is so nuts. The dealer I’ve used for my last two trucks only has one ecodiesel in stock. I don’t need to worry about the chip shortages because I’m a big horn guy and don’t want any of the tech or safety packages. Main things I want that I don’t have is the 6’-4” bed, LED light package and bed utility group. would likely get the north edition and patriot blue
I ordered a Bighorn. I got just the package I wanted this way. Locked in incentives at the time so it is a good deal. I also did not get the tech packages. Placed the order on 3/24 and got the email on 5/4 that it’s in. 1 month, 10 days is not a bad wait for getting what I wanted.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Curious how much did your limited come out to ?
I ordered an almost bare bones Limited 4x4 (see signature). Only extra costs were $100 for delmonico red color, $445 for BUG, and $95 for engine block heater. MSRP $62,985. My deal is invoice - holdback - incentives. I locked in 0% for 72 plus $500 cash back, plus I will have PenFed. IIRC it is around $54k after discounts (would have to look up for exact). Have $47,650 locked in (could go up if market keeps moving in this direction) as minimum on trade (see sig). This is a similar deal (and much less hassle) to selling to Carvana and ordering from Phillip or Aaron and shipping, due to WI tax benefits of trading in and shipping costs.

I thought about the 33 gallon tank but the 26 gallon that comes with the regular HEMI is fine (I had 26 gal on my f150, which is still a noticeable difference from my current 23 gallon). Also decided against Advanced Safety Group. More to go wrong and it is more microchips which could delay delivery. None of the other options interested me.

Last edited:

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mean that’s about right for a used truck but to be honest, you can get a brand new one for about that same price if the dealer has enough discount. Back in 2019 I got a Laramie new for $39k OTD after taxes and fees. My dealer has been offering about $10k off or more consistently for the past 2 years for the 5th Gen 1500s new. This month’s incentives just dropped and will show for most dealers by the end of the week if not already.

If ya truly needed a truck right now than it’s up to you if it was worth it. Check out the thread here:

$39k OTD for a Laramie?? Damn man that’s the best deal I’ve seen yet on a Laramie. So the sales price must have been around $37.5k? Who’s your dealer? That is amazing.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just traded his 19 Limited and got $51k. That sparked me to check mine. KBB shows $52-$54k trade in for my 19 limited with 29k miles. That is exactly what I paid brand new in June 2019 (when they had 20% off MSRP plus dealer discounts). Imagine driving a truck for 2 years and nearly 30k miles and trading it for the same thing you paid.

What a crazy market! While its tempting, I really don't want to start over and it seems there is not much available in my area (other than several TRX models!!).

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$39k OTD for a Laramie?? Damn man that’s the best deal I’ve seen yet on a Laramie. So the sales price must have been around $37.5k? Who’s your dealer? That is amazing.
C847853A-DB45-4708-8B7F-9FC84DC46C41.jpeg

Granted it was a V6 but I mean Hemi’s we’re only like $1k more, I just wanted the Two Tone and better gas mileage at the time. Sold it last year tho to get a ‘20 HD for the farm, and currently have my ‘21 Limited EcoDiesel I ordered.

Dealer is Ganley Village. Over 20% off MSRP on that Laramie back in June ‘19, about 15% off my ordered Limited back In February ‘21.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've ran mine through vroom, carvana and autonation. Vroom sends you an email or two, carvana doesn't contact you at all and autonation did contact me but I informed them I was waiting on my new truck to arrive prior to selling my current 2017. That was about a month ago, got a follow up email today checking on the progress. I don't mind that at all, I really don't like phone calls or constant emails, but I was fine with this type of contact. Autonation also is currently the highest bidder on my truck but I may also try to sell privately if I can sell it quick enough too.

Otherwise autonation will likely get it if they continue to beat the others offers, currently their offer from a month ago was already nearly $5,000 more than my trade in offer from when I ordered in March.

Edit: Worst car buying service thing to use in terms of nagging phone calls, is kbb instant offer. They came in the lowest at the time I tried it and got several phone calls instantly from various dealers.

Same here, I ended up paying around $6-8k more to go brand new factory order, than a 2 year old 10-20k mile truck. And getting the 0% financing (saves $4k over the life of the loan vs my CU rates), it made absolutely no sense to me to buy used at this time.

Carvana texted me right away last time I submitted my info and Vroom called me multiple times.

Maybe they are overwhelmed right now

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carvana texted me right away last time I submitted my info and Vroom called me multiple times.

Maybe they are overwhelmed right now

They must be, I've ran mine through them multiple times without much contact at all. Actually just ran my 17 through vroom again last night, here's my progression on my trucks value:

3/6 trade in value $30,000
4/10 Carvana $32,965
4/12 AutoNation $34,500
5/6 Vroom $37,470

At this point that vroom offer is nearly $2,000 more than I paid for the truck on 4.26.19. From what all I've heard though, seems like Carvana is the easiest to deal with in terms of getting a check instantly (or driving it to autonation about 3 hours away), so hopefully either Carvana or Autonation can get their bids higher when my new truck is finally arriving.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ran mine through two of them:

Vroom: $52,400
Carvana: $42,600

Why is there such a hugh difference between the two?

..if Vroom is legit, I'd be stupid to keep my truck.. I have to check, but I think I bought it for not too much more than that 16 months / 23k miles ago..

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score

..if Vroom is legit, I'd be stupid to keep my truck.. I have to check, but I think I bought it for not too much more than that 16 months / 23k miles ago..
Interesting.

I just ran mine through Vroom, and already had a Carvana from several days ago. Nearly identical, within $50.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Like I said, Vroom and Carvana are very volatile in pricing. Vroom is legit, it's just sketchy and really a hit or miss when it comes to reviews.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I got what I considered a good deal on my new Ram but what really made it sweet was my trade. This particular dealership treats the sale and trade in as two separate deals, they will buy your used car even if you don’t buy a new one. Anyhow my trade was a 2019 Jeep Wrangler, low mileage, as new. The Jeep stickered for a few dollars over $40,000, I paid $37,000 over two years ago. I negotiated a good price on the Ram and the dealer offered me $30,000 for the Jeep. I showed them my CarMax quote for $35,500 and they raised their offer to match. $1,500 depreciation in 2+ years, not bad. Out of curiosity I checked the dealer website a couple days later. They had my Jeep listed for more than the new sticker price and three days later it was sold. I have never purchased a used vehicle from this dealer but they claim That their advertised price is final selling price.
Jeep Wrangler resale value is crazy right now, more so than most veh.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like my local Ford dealer is on crack for new truck pricing too. F150 is MSRP + $7,095 “Market Value” and Ranger was marked MSRP +$2,000 on basic mid-level trims

B34E398C-5E53-418E-8EF7-0F2D9C1C4ED6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread