5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the used market really this crazy?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My story is similar: when I got my 2019 Laramie, it was used with 6,400 miles on it. I was torn between it and a new Longhorn with the 360 camera, the color I wanted (Delmonico Res) and some other goodies. I wanted the Longhorn, but I went with the practical, money saving choice.

I love my Laramie, but I wanted a Longhorn since the 2010 debut, and I had a bit of buyers remorse ever since.

Now that my Laramie is worth more than I paid for it, and I learned how to get a great deal thanks to this forum, I decided, what the heck, get the exact truck I want and keep THAT for ten years. More importantly, I got the wife’s blessing to splurge.

And this actually worked out better than had I brought the Longhorn in the first place, because I’ve since learned that I want features that one didn’t have, including the 6’4” bed and ORG. Plus the Technology Group which wasn’t an option then.

Everyone’s situation is different, but this decision made sense for me at this time.
Very similar situation to me. When test driving last September I didn't care for the feel of the etorque during braking, but convinced myself it wasn't that bad. So when I found the best deal, it had the etorque and I bought the deal and not the truck. I also quickly learned that I missed having factory navigation (Android auto is buggy for me and at times says "can't connect" when trying to get directions, and the cord to my phone needs to be just right for it to work - this is a phone issue not a truck issue), and there is a noticeable difference between the 26 gallon tank in my old F150 and 23 gallon in the RAM. Shortly (within a few days) of buying the truck I had major remorse and looked into trading it in. Glad I didn't. Now the truck is worth a guaranteed $47,650 on my order, and was between $41-42k a week after I bought it (paid $43,500).

See sig below for the current truck and the one on order. I recently inquired about adding the Advanced Safety Group, and was informed it would make it a 22 MY instead of 21. Was going back and foth on it before ordering and decided against it, but thought more recently to check into it. Because of that the incentives I had locked in (0% for 72 plus $500 cash back) would go away and I would be stuck with whatever incentives were at the time of delivery on 22 trucks, which is likely to be nothing. The 0% is worth $2,500+ to me. The dealer also said that Wrangler pricing has gone up $2,000 for 2022 MY, and while he didn't have any numbers yet on the RAM he would expect at least $1000 price increase. So now that is $3000+ in incentives I'd lose, plus the price increase, plus the cost of the package ($1,695, though I'd get it at invoice which is about $1,500). ACC and the 360 camera (the only two things I'd care about in the package) are not worth $5,500. Would have also delayed delivery up to a month. It seems like most deliveries are about 8 weeks on here that don't have the safety features, and those that do are 3+ months. Maybe I should have gotten the ASG at the time of order, and the 33 gallon tank, but have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Meh, if it worked out where I could trade in and have driven one of these trucks for essentially free (or awful close to it) for 1-3 years and 5000-30000 miles, to me that’s a no brainer. Brand new identical or even upgraded truck, brand new warranty, and all it’s costing you is a couple of hours of your time?

This is my exact thought process and depending how much they give me I can get into a Cummins or maybe just maybe if I can find a reasonably priced trx that would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hear you, both sides of the discussion. For us it was an entirely different issue, the truck not fitting in the 19’9 garage to come when it barely fits in the current 20’ one. Just not comfortable with a $60k truck sitting outside, especially since she rarely drives it (1x a week max).

Our deal isn’t quite as “rich” due to a higher intial purchase price (April 2019 vs June 2019), I have almost $60K in the truck not counting renewal plates and AutoNation’s offer is $55K. So five thou’ to have driven it (lightly, 13,500 miles) for 2 plus years.

I’d look at waiting till the end of the year (Dec) and ordering a 22’ from Mark Dodge if she still wants a RAM. (She’s already looking at SUV’s now.)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my exact thought process and depending how much they give me I can get into a Cummins or maybe just maybe if I can find a reasonably priced trx that would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices on 3/4 and 1 ton’s have gone even higher it seems

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Vroom offered 50,045 and Autonation offered 49,000. Carvanna only offered 42,000 so they are out. Might pick up the Limited at Mark Dodge and fly down to get it. If they get a BUG, MFT, and Ramboxes in addition to the Limited Level 1, 3.92, eTrq, model in stock in Black, Max Steel, or Pat. Blue I will pull the trigger.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tampa Bay, I also have 8k miles
You live in the bay? What, do you live on a boat or something? :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. My wife is from Tampa and she used to correct me all the time when I called the city Tampa Bay.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
You live in the bay? What, do you live on a boat or something? :ROFLMAO:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. My wife is from Tampa and she used to correct me all the time when I called the city Tampa Bay.
It’s just easier to say that, half of people don’t know where Clearwater or St.Pete is, and I don’t live in Tampa LOL.

Though I spend enough time on the boat to possibly make the statement work.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sold my 2017 longhorn with 52,7xx miles on it today to AutoNation. Their original offer was $39,500, however, I noticed on my quote that it had my tires described as new. I told them they are more on the verge of needing to be replaced, so I expected to get an offer lower than the initial $39,500. Ended up agreeing to $38,250, due to the tires and some average scratches and small ding. That was still more than vrooms offer (my next highest bidder at $37,500), and the truck had some other things needing attention as well so I was more than happy with the price we agreed to.

They never moved my truck, did start it and take a decent exterior walk around, but that was pretty much it. My inspection was up at the end of the month and I didn't want to dump money into this one right before (hopefully) my new truck shows up. The process was alright, we ended up getting held up for quite a while but it was due to an error by a previous lien holder. Once we had that cleared up we were out of there in about 15-20 minutes with a nice check to bring home.

I would recommend them, wasn't anything shady feeling about any of it and leaving with a check was a nice reassurance. If it didn't work out today I likely would have explored vroom again in another week.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for that detailed report. I’m still waiting my Autonation selling trip which is on this Monday. I drive 3.5 hours into Tn (from NC) to their dealership. Then probably the same “take off $500 for this paint spot” and hopefully a check that same morning.
Vroom took 7 days to email a contract, I won’t even bother with it.

I ran my 14’ Ford Edge thru both Carvana and Vroom, Carvana was actually much higher ($10,950) vs Vroom ($8,500) but I won’t be selling. Just shows that they vary depending on age/style of vehicles. Obviously they both don’t want/need a 100K mile SUV very much.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that detailed report. I’m still waiting my Autonation selling trip which is on this Monday. I drive 3.5 hours into Tn (from NC) to their dealership. Then probably the same “take off $500 for this paint spot” and hopefully a check that same morning.
Vroom took 7 days to email a contract, I won’t even bother with it.

I ran my 14’ Ford Edge thru both Carvana and Vroom, Carvana was actually much higher ($10,950) vs Vroom ($8,500) but I won’t be selling. Just shows that they vary depending on age/style of vehicles. Obviously they both don’t want/need a 100K mile SUV very much.

No problem at all!

Unfortunately for me, the first owner of my truck managed to ding up every corner just a little bit (nothing major but you could tell they weren't the best with spatial awareness)...so I kind of saw the hit there coming, although I didn't add any damage to the truck and did keep it rust free so overall it was still very solid. Still, they could have inspected it a lot more so I certainly wasn't complaining.

Went to the bank first thing this morning, they actually deposited the entire check with no hold so that was nice too. First day without a truck in a solid decade at least, already feels weird. Will be driving these two until my new ram shows up:
IMG_4393.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpg

After my new truck arrives we are going to see what the market is like on the Jetta. Although unless that offer is more ridiculous than my trucks, we will stick with that car as well. Only has 23k on it and tons of warranty left.

Good luck on your trip on Monday and be sure to let us know how it went!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No problem at all!

Unfortunately for me, the first owner of my truck managed to ding up every corner just a little bit (nothing major but you could tell they weren't the best with spatial awareness)...so I kind of saw the hit there coming, although I didn't add any damage to the truck and did keep it rust free so overall it was still very solid. Still, they could have inspected it a lot more so I certainly wasn't complaining.

Went to the bank first thing this morning, they actually deposited the entire check with no hold so that was nice too. First day without a truck in a solid decade at least, already feels weird. Will be driving these two until my new ram shows up:
View attachment 93309
View attachment 93310

After my new truck arrives we are going to see what the market is like on the Jetta. Although unless that offer is more ridiculous than my trucks, we will stick with that car as well. Only has 23k on it and tons of warranty left.

Good luck on your trip on Monday and be sure to let us know how it went!
Lovin' that LeSabre!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went through the big 3 to get offers. Carvana only offered 41k, Vroom offered 45K, AutoNation offered 42.5K. I’ll just keep mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread