5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

DDJRAM

Reaction score
I used the one from infotainment.com and had no issues following the OP instructions at the beginning of the thread. The bypass itself doesn't require any programming, just plug and "play." As long as you have the OBD bluetooth adapter (I also used the one from BAFX on amazon) and AlfaOBD (available from Google Play and I assume iTunes, but I'm an Android user). Just don't get too excited when you see all the options in there. I'm pretty sure you can make your truck turn right instead of left and have your seat warmers shock your wife in the passenger seat if you're not careful (or if you're spiteful). :)

https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass
I have the BlueDirver OBDII interface for iPhone. I can read and cancel codes but don’t know about downloading.

come5117

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Dumb question, but can the Tazer DT itself be used as the Security Gateway Bypass Module for these purposes? (for use of AlphaOBD, for example)
I buy one " bypass module " from internet store 49.9$+ shipping , such a tiny one. and I need to buy APP at 50$, so expensive . but less than the dealer ship ask 250$-560$( crazy price , greedy) , thanks for your post .

come5117

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Hi, thank you very much for you very detailed photo. I buy the same equipment with you and APP, cost me
1. BAFX, OBD, 25$
2. fca by pass, 57$( 49.99+ shipping )
3. APP, alfaobd , 49.99 $
4. brake control module : 158$+ tax from texas or florida .
+ several hours of installment and configuration . I do not like the RAM dealer ship , they ask 200$-560$ for programing it . and ask 350$ for the brake control module ( I spend 158$),
I live in san francisco area California . if somebody need the same kits, i would like to help .

come5117

Reaction score
I was so disappointed with RAM dealer ship. they have very different quotation from 200$-560$ for programing only . that is a joke . my next truck will be another brand diesel or tesla truck . although I love RAM1500 new design inside .

come5117

Reaction score
oh , the AlfaOBD APP is only available on Android phone. not available on iPhone . the App is 50$, that is too high . but I have no way. RAM is squeeze the customer's money. I ever own JEEP grand Cherokee , Chrysler 300C, and this RAM1500, this Ram maybe the last one from Chrysler . I hope Chrysler change something to keep me buy the fourth auto from them .

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Forum,

So, I called around to several Houston area dealerships and kept getting quoted ~$700 for the purchase and install of a factory trailer brake controller. This seemed outrageous to me, and so I set out to find information about what all was involved in this installation. In the process of doing this I found a lot of information, and I just wanted to share my experience from start to finish including flashing the software myself in order to add the trailer brake controller to UConnect so that I don't have to go to the dealership for anything.

If you are interested in finding out how you can do this yourself at home and in under 2 hours (even if your neighbors keep dropping by and it is 100 degrees outside) then here we go!

Step 1: is to order the parts from whatever vendor you feel like ordering them from. I have the 12" touchscreen (as you will see in the pictures) and these are the parts that worked for me. Individual mileage may vary, but I think that you should be fine with these unless you have some kind of weird unicorn 1500 that takes special parts or something.

PART LIST (original from staffcurtis, but updated by me):
68277136af trailer tow module $79.07
68309259ac (this is the right one at this time for the 12" and probably others) switch instrument panel $28.69
68346572ab module bracket $1.39
6510468aa x3 nuts $0.61 each
6101946 x3 screw $0.54 each
OBD2 Reader (I used BAFX products OBD2 Bluetooth Reader from Amazon) ~$25
FCA Security Gateway Bypass Module ~$50
AlfaObd (From the app store) ~$50

All in price: ~$237.60 (including the software update)

Step 1: get the parts (If you don't want to do the software yourself, or your local dealer will flash the software for less than $100 you can save some money by taking it in to the dealer for the flash. The advantage to having the AlfaObd and the other hardware is that you can read engine codes and clear errors plus add other software updates besides the trailer. There may be some value in that for some people and not for others. Individual mileage will vary.)

Step 2: Disconnect your negative battery terminal. See pics below. Use a 10mm wrench, or something equivalent.

View attachment 31398
View attachment 31399

Step 3: remove the center stack of the dash. This is not as scary as some people make it out to be. Remove the 2 screws at the top. Place on hand in the cupped area at the top and one at the bottom of the piece. Pull straight out (toward the back of the cab) it will come out, and it is a sturdy piece, you wont break it unless you are being a gorilla. Don't be a gorilla.
View attachment 31400
View attachment 31403
View attachment 31404
View attachment 31405

For the connector pictured below I used a very small screwdriver to depress the latch to remove it. You may or may not need to, but I have sausage fingers so I had to. You will have an easier time if you disconnect all of the plugs on the back of the console. It is not a lot of connectors, and it just reduces the chances of damaging wiring or the console...it also makes it much easier to deal with.
View attachment 31406

Step 4: Unwrap that sweet connector that is all covered in cloth tape. You will need it to connect to your trailer brake switch later!
View attachment 31407

How much do you charge to do this install on another members truck? :)

khzinger

Reaction score
I just purchased the OEM kit on Ebay for 154 +tax. I stumbled on this thread when looking for the best way to flash the Body ECM. I was able to cancel the order and was able to order everything for $128. delivered. I'm always up to save $40. Anyone have any luck with any of the security bypass plugs aside from FCA? Any other wireless OBDII dongles tried? If I am going to spend $60- $100 for the dealer to flash my car, I am going to buy everything I need for s few bucks more and be able to edit my configuration.

Thanks brotharon for a great write up.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased the OEM kit on Ebay for 154 +tax. I stumbled on this thread when looking for the best way to flash the Body ECM. I was able to cancel the order and was able to order everything for $128. delivered. I'm always up to save $40. Anyone have any luck with any of the security bypass plugs aside from FCA? Any other wireless OBDII dongles tried? If I am going to spend $60- $100 for the dealer to flash my car, I am going to buy everything I need for s few bucks more and be able to edit my configuration.

Thanks brotharon for a great write up.
What site did you purchase all the parts from for $128?

freerobert

Reaction score
Last edited:

freerobert

Reaction score
go to ebay there are several dealerships selling on line and you can get the kit from anywhere from 169. to 256. as long as its a ram kit any dealer should install it. Mine dealer quoted me one hour labor and flash the computer included for 105 an hour. If your stealership is quoting more than that find a new dealership.
Mopar Wholesale OEM
Shipment Details
Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
68105206ACElectronic Trailer Brake Kit, Switch$59.9410
68288760ACModule-Trailer Tow$92.7210
68160146AAElectronic Trailer Brake Kit, Bracket$2.3610
6509940AAElectronic Trailer Brake Kit - Screw$0.7930
Subtotal:$157.39
Shipping (USPS Priority Shipping):$14.89
Total:$172.28
Safer no?

Reactions: aai

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar Wholesale OEM
Shipment Details

Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
68105206ACElectronic Trailer Brake Kit, Switch$59.9410
68288760ACModule-Trailer Tow$92.7210
68160146AAElectronic Trailer Brake Kit, Bracket$2.3610
6509940AAElectronic Trailer Brake Kit - Screw$0.7930

Subtotal:$157.39
Shipping (USPS Priority Shipping):$14.89
Total:$172.28

Safer no?
The one on EBay I just bought is the Mopar kit.

rcoles871

Reaction score
Guys I just finished installing my TBC and used an app different from AlphaOBD called OBD JScan. I used it before on Jeeps which is what it was developed for but they also support many other FCA vehicles including Ram Trucks. I'm not knocking AlphaOBD but this app is very simple with an easy to use interface. I run it on Android but I believe it's available on IOS as well. I also used the same bluetooth adapter (MX OBD) and SGA. Thanks to all of the previous posters as this thread made the install very easy. Message me with any questions about JScan. Also, our 5th Gen trucks will not show up but I used the 2018 DS model and was able to activate the TBC as well as change tire sizes and remove fog light drop-off with high beams all in about 3 minutes.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great to hear. My TBC will be here next week. If JScan has IOS I am going to look into it. Thanks for the heads up

rcoles871

Reaction score
There is a VIN specific fee of around $22 but no cost for the app. Pay the fee once and your good for the life of the vehicle

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got mine installed. Thanks for the write up @brotharon.
Freaking dealerships want $150 to do the flash?!?!?! That is ridiculous!!!

Attachments

• 43EA9099-2928-44F8-9E69-C5A391FCBD8B.jpeg
    43EA9099-2928-44F8-9E69-C5A391FCBD8B.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Has anyone got this error message..............
FAILED!!!
Interface message: CAN ERROR Connect failed. Verify that key is in MAR and check wiring.
Try to turn key to 'Stop' then to ' MAR' and repeat connect

I am connected to OBDII picked RAM 1500 then Body computer then MY2016-17 PowerNet. Then I hit connect and the message above comes up after it tries to connect on CAN 4 times.

I have AlfaOBD version 2.1.7.8

I suck at this tech stuff but loving the new RAM.......converted Chevy guy

Thanks
I'm having the same issue as this guy. Anyone know how to resolve it?

Users who are viewing this thread