5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
New member here with a 2019 Rebel. Thanks to this post, I will be saving money I can put into a set of Timbrens or air bags. I haven't ordered the stuff to flash the system yet. Other than the FCA bypass piece, can someone post links to the items I would need to flash the system from an iPhone or Windows PC? I want to make sure I get the correct items. Thanks

khzinger

Reaction score
I did my install today, amazingly easy. I used my kindle fire as my Android device. The hardest part was searching for the trailer tow module in the AlphaOBD II menu. I would up buying and using this OBDII dongle, worked great decent quality. 12.99 with an additional $2 off on amazon. I have a Jeep Cherokee as well so the secuirty bypass is good for both vehicles. The best past is that I didn't have to waste time at the dealership. I wish I would have negotiated for them to throw it in for free when I bought my truck. I will never have an under-dash unit again. If I can avoid it. Going to take the Travel Trailer out tomorrow for the weekend. I can't wait to try it.

parts- $128
Dongle- 12.99
Security bypass 49.99
download- 49.99
Total 239.97

1596752652099.png

20nightEdition

Reaction score
I did my install today, amazingly easy. I used my kindle fire as my Android device. The hardest part was searching for the trailer tow module in the AlphaOBD II menu. I would up buying and using this OBDII dongle, worked great decent quality. 12.99 with an additional $2 off on amazon. I have a Jeep Cherokee as well so the secuirty bypass is good for both vehicles. The best past is that I didn't have to waste time at the dealership. I wish I would have negotiated for them to throw it in for free when I bought my truck. I will never have an under-dash unit again. If I can avoid it. Going to take the Travel Trailer out tomorrow for the weekend. I can't wait to try it.

parts- $128
Dongle- 12.99
Security bypass 49.99
download- 49.99
Total 239.97

View attachment 64632

How did you use the kindle ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone in Houston, especially the north side that is adding the trailer brake controller and needs to get the flash, go see Dan Mittag at DeMontrond. $100 for the flash plus they have a 10% off coupon on their website. Worth it for $90

Attachments

• 2CD1B8F9-9C37-4A79-848C-9468B5DEFF5F.jpeg
    2CD1B8F9-9C37-4A79-848C-9468B5DEFF5F.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 5F622A8E-0D66-4418-9EFD-5DB5D43BA827.jpeg
    5F622A8E-0D66-4418-9EFD-5DB5D43BA827.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

MeyerzRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Ordered everything today. Can't believe it's half the price to buy the parts from MOPAR vs. the kit with the parts.

khzinger

Reaction score

Vinslayer

Reaction score
Great to hear. My TBC will be here next week. If JScan has IOS I am going to look into it. Thanks for the heads up
Were you able to get this to work with JSCan on the DT models? Just installed the BC on my 2020 1500. Just need to program now and weighting between all the options. Dealership wanted $150 for 1 hour of labor for programming. Even though I’m sure it takes like two minutes.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t end up buying the JSCAN. I found a dealer that would do it for $100. They also had a 10% off coupon on their site so got it done for $90

Last edited:

Rau

Reaction score
I didn’t end up buying the JSCAN. I found a dealer that would do it for $100. They also had a 10% off coupon on their site so got it done for $90

Where is this dealer located? I need to install one.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you already installed the controller and module? The $90 is just to program the computer. You will need to install the controller and module.

Rau

Reaction score
Have you already installed the controller and module? The $90 is just to program the computer. You will need to install the controller and module.

No, I didn’t install anything yet. Can you please share where I can get them from?
Also does it work like original part when it is installed and flashed?

MeyerzRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the great write up. This is where I got stuck......the menu looks different on the new release for Windows 10. I was connected, but no little car. I sent an email to ALFAOBD to see what the issue is. If the Windows 10 steps are slightly different, I will post them up.

Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

spaniel43

Reaction score
Guys I just finished installing my TBC and used an app different from AlphaOBD called OBD JScan. I used it before on Jeeps which is what it was developed for but they also support many other FCA vehicles including Ram Trucks. I'm not knocking AlphaOBD but this app is very simple with an easy to use interface. I run it on Android but I believe it's available on IOS as well. I also used the same bluetooth adapter (MX OBD) and SGA. Thanks to all of the previous posters as this thread made the install very easy. Message me with any questions about JScan. Also, our 5th Gen trucks will not show up but I used the 2018 DS model and was able to activate the TBC as well as change tire sizes and remove fog light drop-off with high beams all in about 3 minutes.
Do you know if it'll work with 5gen Ram trucks?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread