5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
HUGE thank you to the OP for the excellent instructions. The entire job took me a couple of hours. I took my time and followed the instructions. I tried to use the DEMO version to do the programming. I was able to get to everything, but it would not allow me to actually set the change. So, I bought the app. I'm a happy camper now and have my ebrake.....

rpomroy

Reaction score
Thank you so much for these very detailed and easy to follow instructions. I have completed the install and everything appears to be working great. One very minor issue I noticed with mine and was wondering if anyone else has it, the newly installed switch does not light up like the rest of the buttons on the console. Is this normal behavior or is there something else that I would need to do to make it light up? When I push the gain button, it does display on the instrument cluster and appears to work fine, the buttons just don't light up.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Thank you so much for these very detailed and easy to follow instructions. I have completed the install and everything appears to be working great. One very minor issue I noticed with mine and was wondering if anyone else has it, the newly installed switch does not light up like the rest of the buttons on the console. Is this normal behavior or is there something else that I would need to do to make it light up? When I push the gain button, it does display on the instrument cluster and appears to work fine, the buttons just don't light up.

I'm thinking that there are no lights in that little module trailer braking module. Mine does not light up like that either after the install like some of the other switchgear.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
HUGE thank you to the OP for the excellent instructions. The entire job took me a couple of hours. I took my time and followed the instructions. I tried to use the DEMO version to do the programming. I was able to get to everything, but it would not allow me to actually set the change. So, I bought the app. I'm a happy camper now and have my ebrake.....

Thankfully I had a 50 buck credit with google play store from purchasing a new Samsung TV last year, or so and I just never used it. Anyhow, it was used to purchase the AlphaOBD software. My feeling is that the software seems kinda dated, and the 50 bucks was kind of expensive for it, even though I purchased it for free -- of sorts. But hey it worked and in the end, I'm sure it's worth the 50 bucks.

saturn298

Reaction score

mine is a tad dimmer than the rest on that switch panel as well. assuming so its so you don't accidently bump it and start adjusting or hit the brakes when its dark out?

saturn298

Reaction score
Thankfully I had a 50 buck credit with google play store from purchasing a new Samsung TV last year, or so and I just never used it. Anyhow, it was used to purchase the AlphaOBD software. My feeling is that the software seems kinda dated, and the 50 bucks was kind of expensive for it, even though I purchased it for free -- of sorts. But hey it worked and in the end, I'm sure it's worth the 50 bucks.

beyond worth the 50 bucks. there are a lot of features you can add/change instead of going to the dealer. Also gives a better reading for check engine lights instead of a code reader.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
mine was installed by a dealer and it does light up.

Interesting... I'm guessing that must be another setting which would make the module light up. I'm wondering if by chance someone will stumble across that setting at some point in the future as I'd enjoy mine lighting up as well.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Which security bypass is everyone having the best luck with, found the entire brake kit on ebay for 145, part number 82215278AC

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Seeing as all the instructions I have observed here show the Android interface for AlfaOBD I thought I’d show some step by step shots for the PC version, broken down Barney style.
1) Plug in your OBDII scanner and security gateway bypass, then connect your PC wifi to the OBDII scanner.

2) On the Brand drop down menu select ‘DODGE/RAM’.
dodge.png

3) One the Model drop down menu select ‘RAM 1500 (DS/DX)’.
ram.png

4) On the Function drop down menu select ‘BODY COMPUTER’.
body.png

5) Ensure that the truck engine is NOT running but the ignition is in the RUN position. Then click on the ‘Connect’ button on the right. The software will select and highlight ‘Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet’.
connect.png

6) Go to the Active Diagnostic tab, then select ‘Car configuration change’ from the bottom of the (long) drop down menu.
car.png

7) The Select option drop down menu appears near the bottom of the screen, select ‘SetMenu 2-Trailer selected CSM’ on the drop down (about three quarters of the way down yet another long menu).
selected.png

8) Then select ‘Yes’ from the Select value drop down menu.
yes.png

9) Click the ‘Start’ button in the middle/left of the screen. The text window will tell you the current status and let you know to click ‘Next’ to make the change. Click ‘Next’.
start.png

10) Do the same for ‘CustSetMenu 2-Trailer name CSM’, also selecting ‘Yes’.
name.png

11) And the same for ‘CustSetMenu 2-Trailer type CSM’, selecting ‘Yes’.
type.png

(Continued in next post)

Apexbasher

Reaction score
(Continued from last post)

12) Finally, do the same after selecting ‘P/T Chassis Net-ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module’ near the bottom of the Select option menu, and ‘Enabled’ from the Select value menu.
ITBM.png

13) Go back to the Start tab and click ‘Disconnect’ on the right side of the screen.
disconnect.png

14) Press the trucks ignition button to shut the truck ignition Off. Remove your OBDII scanner and security gateway bypass. Make sure the plugs removed from the bypass go back into their module under the dash.

15) Turn your truck back on and you will find the driver’s display now has a trailer brake option with two screens. One for trailer brake effort, and another for trailer trip mileage.

16) Go to your UConnect and open ‘Settings’. Find the trailer menu item near the bottom of the list and you can update the trailer type and trailer brake system type for up to four different trailers, tagging one as the current one in use.

Hope this helps!
(Sorry about making these instructions so lengthy, but I warned you that I’d be breaking this process down to parade rest.)

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Which obd2 module is everyone having the best luck with work with the alpha software?

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Which obd2 module is everyone having the best luck with work with the alpha software?

This one is for iOS:

And this is for Android:

briantracy

Reaction score
Great instructions! Thank you so much for posting. All of the pictures really gave me the confidence that I could do it myself. I paid $130 for the parts and shipping and dealer performed the software flash for $67. Out the door for less than $200! I am am very happy with that!

Attachments

• 20200229_084030.jpg
    20200229_084030.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 75

Backinblk

Reaction score
I got the reader for iOS and got the security gateway. What software do I use alpha obd? Do ya download it in the App Store?

Backinblk

Reaction score
I assume you have an iPhone, so you have to go to the AlfaOBD website and download the software for your computer.
Wait went to alphaObd and all it says is android downloads. I need software for ios

TXSportDiver

Reaction score
Again, thanks to the OP for such great instructions and photos. At this point, I've only done the switch/module install...not the flash. A couple of quick notes: Immediately after the install (as others also experienced) my AC was weird (showing only HI LO and blowing hot air), no back up cam, and no XM on the 12" Uconnect system. But, the truck did drive and after being parked a few hours everything is back to normal. Also, the plus-minus lights on mine do light up; not the trailer icon, it looks to be printed on the plastic.

Two dealers in San Antonio, TX area quoting $89 (Ancira) or $149 to flash the install. But, if anyone's in town that has the bypass/interface/software and wants to "help a brutha out," I'm happy to help defray the cost of your gear/time.

Users who are viewing this thread