5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

big al

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

So, I called around to several Houston area dealerships and kept getting quoted ~$700 for the purchase and install of a factory trailer brake controller. This seemed outrageous to me, and so I set out to find information about what all was involved in this installation. In the process of doing this I found a lot of information, and I just wanted to share my experience from start to finish including flashing the software myself in order to add the trailer brake controller to UConnect so that I don't have to go to the dealership for anything.

If you are interested in finding out how you can do this yourself at home and in under 2 hours (even if your neighbors keep dropping by and it is 100 degrees outside) then here we go!

Step 1: is to order the parts from whatever vendor you feel like ordering them from. I have the 12" touchscreen (as you will see in the pictures) and these are the parts that worked for me. Individual mileage may vary, but I think that you should be fine with these unless you have some kind of weird unicorn 1500 that takes special parts or something.

PART LIST (original from staffcurtis, but updated by me):
68277136af trailer tow module $79.07
68309259ac (this is the right one at this time for the 12" and probably others) switch instrument panel $28.69
68346572ab module bracket $1.39
6510468aa x3 nuts $0.61 each
6101946 x3 screw $0.54 each
OBD2 Reader (I used BAFX products OBD2 Bluetooth Reader from Amazon) ~$25
FCA Security Gateway Bypass Module ~$50
AlfaObd (From the app store) ~$50

All in price: ~$237.60 (including the software update)

Step 1: get the parts (If you don't want to do the software yourself, or your local dealer will flash the software for less than $100 you can save some money by taking it in to the dealer for the flash. The advantage to having the AlfaObd and the other hardware is that you can read engine codes and clear errors plus add other software updates besides the trailer. There may be some value in that for some people and not for others. Individual mileage will vary.)

Step 2: Disconnect your negative battery terminal. See pics below. Use a 10mm wrench, or something equivalent.

View attachment 31398
View attachment 31399

Step 3: remove the center stack of the dash. This is not as scary as some people make it out to be. Remove the 2 screws at the top. Place on hand in the cupped area at the top and one at the bottom of the piece. Pull straight out (toward the back of the cab) it will come out, and it is a sturdy piece, you wont break it unless you are being a gorilla. Don't be a gorilla.
View attachment 31400
View attachment 31403
View attachment 31404
View attachment 31405

For the connector pictured below I used a very small screwdriver to depress the latch to remove it. You may or may not need to, but I have sausage fingers so I had to. You will have an easier time if you disconnect all of the plugs on the back of the console. It is not a lot of connectors, and it just reduces the chances of damaging wiring or the console...it also makes it much easier to deal with.
View attachment 31406

Step 4: Unwrap that sweet connector that is all covered in cloth tape. You will need it to connect to your trailer brake switch later!
View attachment 31407
Can a person use a brake control like the ones that attach under the dash?

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Wait went to alphaObd and all it says is android downloads. I need software for ios
You are seeing things correctly. AlfaOBD does not have an app for iOS, that is why you must download the software for your pc laptop and pay for the software key (he will email the key after payment).

saturn298

Reaction score
Interesting... I'm guessing that must be another setting which would make the module light up. I'm wondering if by chance someone will stumble across that setting at some point in the future as I'd enjoy mine lighting up as well.
yours doesn't light up at all?

Backinblk

Reaction score
(Continued from last post)

12) Finally, do the same after selecting ‘P/T Chassis Net-ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module’ near the bottom of the Select option menu, and ‘Enabled’ from the Select value menu.
View attachment 47284

13) Go back to the Start tab and click ‘Disconnect’ on the right side of the screen.
View attachment 47285

14) Press the trucks ignition button to shut the truck ignition Off. Remove your OBDII scanner and security gateway bypass. Make sure the plugs removed from the bypass go back into their module under the dash.

15) Turn your truck back on and you will find the driver’s display now has a trailer brake option with two screens. One for trailer brake effort, and another for trailer trip mileage.

16) Go to your UConnect and open ‘Settings’. Find the trailer menu item near the bottom of the list and you can update the trailer type and trailer brake system type for up to four different trailers, tagging one as the current one in use.

Hope this helps!
(Sorry about making these instructions so lengthy, but I warned you that I’d be breaking this process down to parade rest.)
When I click connect I get a select com port?

Emg006

Reaction score
I had a dealer install my controller. Is there a new settings menu for the trailer? I looked on the dash and in the Uconnect system and don’t see anything. My old ford had a trailer setting in the dash menu

I verified that the controller box is under the dash And connected...

41magmag41

Reaction score
dealer should have flashed the computer after the install. on your screen go into settings and scroll down you should see trailer brakes and go from there.

Emg006

Reaction score
dealer should have flashed the computer after the install. on your screen go into settings and scroll down you should see trailer brakes and go from there.
Thanks it’s not there. I guess they didn’t do it. Hooked up my trailer too and nothing recognized.

DCM-NC

Reaction score
Awesome instructions, thank you! Just finished installing my brake controller. Hardest part was getting the blank cover out where the switch goes and all the wire disconnects, I always have a hard time getting those out. I disconnected all the cables from the center stack to make it easier to put the switch in. Just forgot to plug my camera back in and had to pull it apart again. Got my parts from Factory Chrysler Parts dot com for $123.20, they shorted me a screw for module bracket. Schedule to get flashed by a local dealership for $99.95 plus tax.

Hawk296

Reaction score
Just added he trailer brake controller to my wife’s 2020 V6 bighorn. Went pretty smooth following the updates from LincolnSixAlpha except with the current version of AlphaOBD there is now a 2020 DT option when selecting the body control module.

bhurst10

Reaction score
I just want to say thank you to Brotharon for creating this post even thought it is almost a year old it was spot on very detailed and the pictures are awsome. I wouldn't have never attempted this with the instructions and the pictures. I paid $125 for everything it took me a lil over an hour to install everything. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning for them to service my truck amd flash the truck computer i don't know how much it going to cost but I feel like I already came out on top just by doing the install myself. Thanks again Brotharon

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
If I installed this on my own then took the truck in for the new recall which calls for flashing new software, would it be automatically added in that process, foregoing the need for the alpha obd or paying for dealer flash?

datammwv13

Reaction score
When they do a TSB or most updates it does NOT change the settings you changed via Alpha. They just replaced my battery and Recall W33 and it did not remove any of my Alpha Odb settings.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

bhurst10

Reaction score
If I installed this on my own then took the truck in for the new recall which calls for flashing new software, would it be automatically added in that process, foregoing the need for the alpha obd or paying for dealer flash?
I am going go say no I installed mines on Thursday took it in for service Friday I look at the service invoice and I can see both where they performed the recall and it says no charge covered under warranty and the update for the trailer brake controller they charged me $140.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bradleys

Reaction score
@brotharon - I assume your center gauge trailer information popped up because you actually had a trailer connected? :)

I finished the setup steps in alphaobd and the only new management screens I see are the “Trailer Brake“ in the settings menu.

just wondering if we should see anything else?

I do not have my trailer stored locally - so this is the extent of my testing at the moment.

i will say; I used the pc version of Alphaodb and there are soo many configuration options in that drop down list! It took forever to find the four item you called out! I had to just step through the list until I found the first - then do it again to find the other three in a different section...

Thanks for the write up!

69AC99B7-DB9C-439E-A985-280D44FB1F95.jpeg

Last edited:

Teamlacalle

Reaction score
@brotharon - I assume your center gauge trailer information popped up because you actually had a trailer connected? :)

I finished the setup steps in alphaobd and the only new management screens I see are the “Trailer Brake“ in the settings menu.

just wondering if we should see anything else?

I do not have my trailer stored locally - so this is the extent of my testing at the moment.

i will say; I used the pc version of Alphaodb and there are soo many configuration options in that drop down list! It took forever to find the four item you called out! I had to just step through the list until I found the first - then do it again to find the other three in a different section...

Thanks for the write up!

View attachment 53189
I am winding the same thing. I just installed this last night and I have the setting menu on the Uconnect by nothing on the evic. Do you need a trailer hooked up to access the trailer controls on the evic?

datammwv13

Reaction score
You should see this . Even without a trailer attached
21088ab962b8dd3ef2ef730f6054321c.jpg

Teamlacalle

Reaction score
You should see this . Even without a trailer attached
21088ab962b8dd3ef2ef730f6054321c.jpg

Yeah I don’t have that in the evic.. even after truck has sat overnight. I’ll try to disconnect battery and reconnect since I didn’t do that during install. Probably won’t help but maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread