5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

Bradleys

Reaction score
You should see this . Even without a trailer attached

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

thanks - I will review each of the settings. Does anyone know the specific alpahobd setting that is enabling this?

Teamlacalle

Reaction score
thanks - I will review each of the settings. Does anyone know the specific alpahobd setting that is enabling this?
Disabled all the settings and then confirmed that the settings disappeared from uconnect. Then re enabled everything with same results. Even tried unhooking the battery to make sure it’s power cycled. I have been trying other settings as well such as cabin net-Ttm trailer tow module, cabin net-Tbm, veh config 7- tsbm module present, cbc features- trailer tow present. Would you be able to confirm what is enabled on yours? I don’t want to start messing with too much and screw it all up.

the settings that are supposed to be changed are trailer selectEd, trailer type, trailer name, and integrated trailer brake module from my understanding. But no luck with those settings getting to to pop up in the cluster.

Bradleys

Reaction score
Disabled all the settings and then confirmed that the settings disappeared from uconnect. Then re enabled everything with same results. Even tried unhooking the battery to make sure it’s power cycled. I have been trying other settings as well such as cabin net-Ttm trailer tow module, cabin net-Tbm, veh config 7- tsbm module present, cbc features- trailer tow present. Would you be able to confirm what is enabled on yours? I don’t want to start messing with too much and screw it all up.

the settings that are supposed to be changed are trailer selectEd, trailer type, trailer name, and integrated trailer brake module from my understanding. But no luck with those settings getting to to pop up in the cluster.

my wife is using the laptop at the moment- when she is done, I will run out and start over - and report back.

those are the settings I did change.

Bradleys

Reaction score
Well, that is pretty frustrating.

I know the brake controller works - I used it to pull the trailer a few weeks ago and it interacts well with the unit. The naming and configuration of the trailer information shows up on the 8.4 display just fine - so my programming is working as expected.

It just does not show the display / gain / etc... on the main cluster.

I have been through every setting and do not see anything else that might represent a trailer setting. Any thoughts at all?

I checked to make sure it was selecting the correct truck and defaulting the correct year... Check

Capture4.JPG

I enabled the ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module

Untitled2.jpg

I enabled the:
- Trailer Selected CSM
- Trailer Name CSM
- Trailer Type CSM

Untitled3.jpg

Last edited:

Apexbasher

Reaction score
Well, that is pretty frustrating.

I know the brake controller works - I used it to pull the trailer a few weeks ago and it interacts well with the unit. The naming and configuration of the trailer information shows up on the 8.4 display just fine - so my programming is working as expected.

It just does not show the display / gain / etc... on the main cluster.

I have been through every setting and do not see anything else that might represent a trailer setting. Any thoughts at all?

I checked to make sure it was selecting the correct truck and defaulting the correct year... Check

View attachment 53292

I enabled the ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module

I enabled the:
- Trailer Selected CSM
- Trailer Name CSM
- Trailer Type CSM

Okay. In your first screen shot (ECUs) try using "Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet"
This is the one I used on the older version of the software from Feb. You are on the newest version that came out on Apr 9th. There may have been changes, but give that a try. Rest of it looks good.

Last edited:

Bradleys

Reaction score
Okay. In your first screen shot (ECUs) try using "Body computer: MY2019 PowerNet"
This is the one I used on the older version of the software from Feb. You are on the newest version that came out on Apr 9th. There may have been changes, but give that a try. Rest of it looks good.

I did, it automatically jumps to Var 3

Apexbasher

Reaction score
I did, it automatically jumps to Var 3
Also, you could ask if you can download the version just before 2.1.6.0 (i don't know what it was but it is what I used when i did mine in Feb., and what I did the screen shots from in my post)
By the way, I just notcied that I used "Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet" when I did mine (not MY2019). No matter, since it is forcing you to Var 3.

Bradleys

Reaction score
Also, you could ask if you can download the version just before 2.1.6.0 (i don't know what it was but it is what I used when i did mine in Feb., and what I did the screen shots from in my post)
By the way, I just notcied that I used "Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet" when I did mine (not MY2019). No matter, since it is forcing you to Var 3.

and you have a 2019 new body style?

Bradleys

Reaction score
@Apexbasher - I choose My2019 Powernet and it jumps to var 3 when I connect. I haven’t tried selecting My2016-17.

I can try that this evening - I would need to decide if I want go back to Var 3 and turn everything back off before I go into the 2016-17 and turn it back on... hmm

i did send an email over to Alpahobd - we will see if her responds.

Bradleys

Reaction score
I reached out the alphaobd and and will see if he is able to find a solution - but I think it is safe to say that it is no longer possible to fully activate your brake controller DIY...

before people spend a bunch of money on software and security modules - I would wait for an update.

I will change my stuff back - call it a lesson learned, and take the truck into the dealership.

Teamlacalle

Reaction score
I reached out the alphaobd and and will see if he is able to find a solution - but I think it is safe to say that it is no longer possible to fully activate your brake controller DIY...

before people spend a bunch of money on software and security modules - I would wait for an update.

I will change my stuff back - call it a lesson learned, and take the truck into the dealership.
Please keep us updated as to the response from alphaobd. I have the same problem and am frustrated at this point much like yourself. Hopefully they have a solution or can provide a previous version for us to use.

datammwv13

Reaction score
Guys, I am sure it works when you choose "Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet" on my 2019 Laramie. I have added it and removed it at least 3 times with version 2.1.7.8. As I have had dealership put back/load all factory defaults once.. ALONG WITH if I disconnect my battery I loose ALL My alpha odb settings and have to reprogram them . I.e. fog light drop out, turn leds as DRL's, brake controller.

That is disadvantage of not having it done at dealership in Star System. As when even a dealership looks up your VIN they can see all features added to PCM, via dealership (as in my case, wireless charger & bed lights) but do not see brake controller. I have seen this 1st hand when trading my trucks. Plus keep in mind in EVIC, you will see once you have plugged into rear wire harness. Even if light bar with four flat.
92c828de9a35cb0ff22babca200bc1fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Bradleys

Reaction score
@datammwv13 - I am sure it does work if you choose "Body computer: MY2016-17 PowerNet". Unfortunately, it will not let you chose that computer. As soon as you hit connect it jumps to the MY2019 Var 3 in my case and doesn’t allow you to connect to any other profile.

So, again, at this time the system does not work. I have notified alphaodb and we will see if it gets addressed or not. His answer was... “hmm, should work...”

That said, it is no longer possible to DIY enable the brake controller at this time.

Apexbasher

Reaction score
So, again, at this time the system does not work. I have notified alphaodb and we will see if it gets addressed or not. His answer was... “hmm, should work...”

That said, it is no longer possible to DIY enable the brake controller at this time.
Did AlfaODB say anything about getting an earlier version that WOULD have used MY2016-17?

Bradleys

Reaction score
Okay - AlphaODB sent me an old version of the software without the new body computer profiles.

I used the latest version and turned off all of the controls that I had previously enabled.

I then used the older version and repeated the process - activating the four separate items.

And as expected - it worked perfectly.

I am good - this may be an option for other people until he is able to fix the current version of the software.

thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread