5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

t76turbo

Reaction score
Called my local dealer and they wanted $160+ to program the truck. So I may go the Alfaobd route.

Looks like alfaobd is a Android only thing. Is that true? I looked in the iOS store and didnt find anything. Will have to buy a android tablet or maybe get the pc version.

Charon

Reaction score
If you want to go the DIY route it's cheap.

Does everyone's say if their trailer is disconnected? mine doesn't say that but I have all of the settings enabled.

Magredvet

Reaction score
Next question. Where can I get a FCA Security Gateway Bypass Module? What is the best brand name (around the stated $50) that will function with my BAFX? I appreciate the assistance.
I got my bypass module from "Infotainment.com", as posted before, it is $50

Snowdoggy

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know that I just had a factory brake controller installed at a dealership. I am getting older and i didnt want to take a chance and maybe foul something up, especially with that 12" screen. I went to one dealer who wanted $758 installed parts and labor. I could have bought online for $180.00 and tried to find dealer that would just install and enable it. Second dealer I went to charged me $396.00 for parts, labor and tax included. Then I used points on my Ram Credit Card and wound up paying $260.00 out the door. No fuss and no muss. Now I wont have any warranty issues. If you can do it yourself go for it! If you would rather not, check different dealers. You may get a good deal. Some will work with you instead of on you!

sealemon

Reaction score
Got all the hardware installed.
Have the gateway bypass installed. Alpha OBD connected and trying to make the changes.

Now I can't find the first setting **** ITBM/HWM *****. Did they change the name?

Also looks like CSM is now Customer Select Menu, is that correct?

FROM THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD.

"ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes" "

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Any confirmation this is working on the 2020 models? I suspect it would, but figured I'd ask. Oh, and the eBay link to the complete package is still working so thanks for that share, I'll repost that and some of the items I'm considering purchasing for the endeavor. Worth noting that the AlfaOBD software can be used to perform other functions on your RAM, for example, if you do not have LED lighting, then decide to add it, you can modify the ECU/CANBUS to operate your LED lighting. Of course, you'd need to do the appropriate research, and your mileage may vary of course. None the less, maybe a worthwhile investment and save yourself some money over the stealerships.

Complete Trailer KIT, 2019+ (Repost)

Item's I've found covering the install based on the author's suggestions:

Alfa OBD (Have a PC/Windows Device or Android handy, no IOS support):

FCS Security Bypass Module:

OBD Device (There are a number that are recommended from AlfaOBD this is the more expensive OBD Scanner, the other one is 20 bucks cheaper)

7amada

Reaction score
I agree that it is annoying, but when they get all of the software figured out in the future it may allow you to add things like remote lowering of windows and stuff. If you are in the south Houston area I am certainly willing to help out by letting you come by and use mine for the flash. Otherwise, there may be another person in your area who has one.
I am in houston and would love some help

saturn298

Reaction score
Any confirmation this is working on the 2020 models? I suspect it would, but figured I'd ask. Oh, and the eBay link to the complete package is still working so thanks for that share, I'll repost that and some of the items I'm considering purchasing for the endeavor. Worth noting that the AlfaOBD software can be used to perform other functions on your RAM, for example, if you do not have LED lighting, then decide to add it, you can modify the ECU/CANBUS to operate your LED lighting. Of course, you'd need to do the appropriate research, and your mileage may vary of course. None the less, maybe a worthwhile investment and save yourself some money over the stealerships.

Complete Trailer KIT, 2019+ (Repost)

Item's I've found covering the install based on the author's suggestions:

Alfa OBD (Have a PC/Windows Device or Android handy, no IOS support):

FCS Security Bypass Module:

OBD Device (There are a number that are recommended from AlfaOBD this is the more expensive OBD Scanner, the other one is 20 bucks cheaper)
yes it works for 2020 models. I did many changes the day I bought my 2020

I used the obd mx +
alfaobd on an android tablet
gateway bypass from infotainment (little cheaper than Z automotive)

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Well, I attempted the install today, and I was somewhat successful in that I was able to get the actual brake controller installed, along with the control module, however, I ran into a few issues with the AlfaOBD software. To be clear, I'm running AlphaOBD on my old Samsung S8 which is no longer activated. Also using a MX+ and Taser Gateway module. My confusion is around the actual options within the software as loaded on my phone.

I'm using AlphaOBD 2.1.77, and as per this document, I do not see any option for RAM 1500 DT, however only what I'm sharing with you in screenshots off of my phone, and only RAM 1500 DS/DX. Beyond that, there's simply no option for JUST "Gateway Module", but rather what you see below which is Gateway Module for certain model years. You can see the following errors beyond that, with no ability to program what was called for in the instructions here. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong here.. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on a phone, vs what I've been reading here which is tablets? Unsure....

Screenshot_20200111-132947_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-133030_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-133257_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20200111-131715_AlfaOBD.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111-133519_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-133519_AlfaOBD.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20200111-133046_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111-133046_AlfaOBD.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 42

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I was able to understand how to use AlphaOBD today in conjunction with the MX+ OBD Adapter, and Taser Gateway Module on my Android phone for my 2020 Ram Rebel. The install directions were perfect, and while it was a bit of a pain in the **** to actually take the connectors out of the back of the display, and remove the bottom portion to install the brake controller, re-installation was VERY quick, and I had everything back together in about 10 minutes. Removing the bottom kick panel below the steering wheel, as mentioned by the author of the article is your best bet, as it also allows you easy access to the gateway module which is on the driver's side door side tucked up there.

Aside from that, the screenshots below are what I've used to complete the programming. Although one note where the author calls out for making the following changes, After setting up your Bluetooth communications to the OBD adapter, and with your bypass gateway module (Taser) installed, fire off AlfaOBD and select the following as shown below. Anyhow, hopefully this helps, as I certainly have never used AlphaOBD.

Screenshot_20200111-133030_AlfaOBD.jpg

For "Control Unit", you'll be selecting as you see below:

Screenshot_20200111-133102_AlfaOBD.jpg

Select "Connect", and you'll be presented with a warning as shown below. Just select "continue" to bypass the warning.

Screenshot_20200111-133257_AlfaOBD.jpg

Once "connected" select car graphics with its hood up, and you'll be presented with the following screen. From here, simply choose the following selections as shown, Once selected, select "start" and your setting will be made.

Screenshot_20200112-113612_AlfaOBD.jpg

At this point the author tells you to make a few other changes:

Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

I did not find any of these values within the selection, however, I did confirm that the Trailer selection was actually enabled. Under the battery icon at the bottom of the screen, you can pull the configured system settings from the computer, as you can see, I've successfully set the Trailer brake controller. From this point, I cycled the power of the Truck, and the center dash was showing the trailer menu option, and the gain slide worked perfectly.

Screenshot_20200112-114646_AlfaOBD.jpg

20200112_114502.jpg

brotharon

Reaction score
Thanks for the update to the software selections. I am glad that you were able to get it working. I also appreciate the screenshots which should help the next person get through this install a little easier.

saturn298

Reaction score
There are plenty of write ups and youtube videos on how to do changes with alfa. Our DT ram is not an option but most of our modules are the same as the 4th gen DS/DX.

jnrbtpy

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Thank you for this info, I have been researching it due to mine not having it installed and knew I could do it myself. but now with you help I know I can confidently. This is why I joined this site.

ljinnc

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

So, I called around to several Houston area dealerships and kept getting quoted ~$700 for the purchase and install of a factory trailer brake controller. This seemed outrageous to me, and so I set out to find information about what all was involved in this installation. In the process of doing this I found a lot of information, and I just wanted to share my experience from start to finish including flashing the software myself in order to add the trailer brake controller to UConnect so that I don't have to go to the dealership for anything.

If you are interested in finding out how you can do this yourself at home and in under 2 hours (even if your neighbors keep dropping by and it is 100 degrees outside) then here we go!

Step 1: is to order the parts from whatever vendor you feel like ordering them from. I have the 12" touchscreen (as you will see in the pictures) and these are the parts that worked for me. Individual mileage may vary, but I think that you should be fine with these unless you have some kind of weird unicorn 1500 that takes special parts or something.

PART LIST (original from staffcurtis, but updated by me):
68277136af trailer tow module $79.07
68309259ac (this is the right one at this time for the 12" and probably others) switch instrument panel $28.69
68346572ab module bracket $1.39
6510468aa x3 nuts $0.61 each
6101946 x3 screw $0.54 each
OBD2 Reader (I used BAFX products OBD2 Bluetooth Reader from Amazon) ~$25
FCA Security Gateway Bypass Module ~$50
AlfaObd (From the app store) ~$50

All in price: ~$237.60 (including the software update)

Step 1: get the parts (If you don't want to do the software yourself, or your local dealer will flash the software for less than $100 you can save some money by taking it in to the dealer for the flash. The advantage to having the AlfaObd and the other hardware is that you can read engine codes and clear errors plus add other software updates besides the trailer. There may be some value in that for some people and not for others. Individual mileage will vary.)

Step 2: Disconnect your negative battery terminal. See pics below. Use a 10mm wrench, or something equivalent.

View attachment 31398
View attachment 31399

Step 3: remove the center stack of the dash. This is not as scary as some people make it out to be. Remove the 2 screws at the top. Place on hand in the cupped area at the top and one at the bottom of the piece. Pull straight out (toward the back of the cab) it will come out, and it is a sturdy piece, you wont break it unless you are being a gorilla. Don't be a gorilla.
View attachment 31400
View attachment 31403
View attachment 31404
View attachment 31405

For the connector pictured below I used a very small screwdriver to depress the latch to remove it. You may or may not need to, but I have sausage fingers so I had to. You will have an easier time if you disconnect all of the plugs on the back of the console. It is not a lot of connectors, and it just reduces the chances of damaging wiring or the console...it also makes it much easier to deal with.
View attachment 31406

Step 4: Unwrap that sweet connector that is all covered in cloth tape. You will need it to connect to your trailer brake switch later!
View attachment 31407
Thanks for taking the time to provide such clear instructions, but I do have a question. What parts exactly did you use? I know that I would have to download Alphaobd, what will be needed along with alphaobd? A security gateway bypass module, what brand did you use?
Thanks, I hope it helps somebody get some trailer braking goodness!

I want to say thanks for this detailed instructions. I do have a couple questions, what security gateway module did you use? Did you leave that module installed after you completed the programming or did you remove it and then plug the wires back in the SGW?

saturn298

Reaction score
I want to say thanks for this detailed instructions. I do have a couple questions, what security gateway module did you use? Did you leave that module installed after you completed the programming or did you remove it and then plug the wires back in the SGW?
[/QUOTE]

I used the infotainment sgw I leave it plugged in all the time unless it’s going to the dealer

brotharon

Reaction score
I used the device that I believe I listed in the first post...if I didnt I will have to go to my other house and look at it since it is in my toolbox there. I dont keep it in the truck because it is a bluetooth device and I am concerned that a person who is of nefarious intent could detect the device and use it to open the doors or do other things to my truck. I would say it is unlikely, but I have noticed that criminals are craftier than they are given credit for, and I dont want to make their job any easier. YMMV, but I say take it out unless you are actively programming something into your truck.

Boyter

Reaction score
@Brotheron, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar :cool:

I studied your post in detail, found places in the US that had them and would ship them to the middle east (you would be surprised how many don't) Fitted everything without breaking even one plastic dash with my p3nis fingers and zipped through the set up using AlphaOBD. It all works a treat!

Thank you sir!

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
A huge THANK YOU to the original poster for putting all of this together. You made my life infinitely easier today. I logged on to see if this option could be added and found your post with all the part numbers and step-by-step instructions with pictures. THANK YOU!

And a big thanks to commenters for your helpful links. Everything has been ordered.

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
Quick question. Has anyone tried the alphaOBD DEMO app? Looks like the only limitation is a 15 minute timer. If you can get the settings changed in less than 15 minutes, you can skip the $49 app fee. To program the brake controller, I don't believe we need to worry about the active diagnostic procedures, the number of scanned gauges, or the number of monitored parameters. I'm going to try to use the free DEMO app to make the changes. I'll let folks know how it goes. I just ordered my parts, so it will be about a week before I can report back.

The limitations of the demo version are:
- Application run time limit of 15 minutes. Application returns to the first screen after 15 minutes of connection to a control unit.
- No active diagnostic procedures available
- The number of scanned gauges is limited by four
- The number of monitored parameters is limited by four
Other features are same as in the full version. No expiration is imposed on the application.

brotharon

Reaction score
Quick question. Has anyone tried the alphaOBD DEMO app? Looks like the only limitation is a 15 minute timer. If you can get the settings changed in less than 15 minutes, you can skip the $49 app fee. To program the brake controller, I don't believe we need to worry about the active diagnostic procedures, the number of scanned gauges, or the number of monitored parameters. I'm going to try to use the free DEMO app to make the changes. I'll let folks know how it goes. I just ordered my parts, so it will be about a week before I can report back.

The limitations of the demo version are:
- Application run time limit of 15 minutes. Application returns to the first screen after 15 minutes of connection to a control unit.
- No active diagnostic procedures available
- The number of scanned gauges is limited by four
- The number of monitored parameters is limited by four
Other features are same as in the full version. No expiration is imposed on the application.

I didn't try the demo. If you are able to get it programmed with the demo app that would be really cool. With the quotes I was getting from my local dealerships to just flash the software onto my truck the $49 was still a savings, but if the developer is going to give you all of the tools that you need in their demo then I say go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread