5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

CJW

Reaction score
JScan so far as sort of worked. I'm able to see the trailer options on my dash between my gauges, but i don't have any options to remember or rename trailers in my settings on my radio.

Everyone with that option seems to have the 12" screen, but i have the 8.4Nav and I don't even know if i SHOULD have the option. I've asked someone but I'm going to RTFM again and see if i can find it in there.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
JScan so far as sort of worked. I'm able to see the trailer options on my dash between my gauges, but i don't have any options to remember or rename trailers in my settings on my radio.

Everyone with that option seems to have the 12" screen, but i have the 8.4Nav and I don't even know if i SHOULD have the option. I've asked someone but I'm going to RTFM again and see if i can find it in there.
I have a non-NAV 8.4 and do have all the options. Go back and make sure all 4 trailer options are properly configured

CJW

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation Tyromeo. I went in a few days ago and thought I found some I was missing and enabled them, but still haven't got anywhere.

The four I changed as follows, but so far no luck.

Trailer Settings
-ITBM/HW Integrated Trailer Brake Module On/Off (This was first)
Radio User Settings
- Trailer Name On/Off
- Trailer Selected On/Off
- Trailer Type On/Off

Edit: I also checked Trailer Tow Present On/Off and it was already enabled.

CJW

Reaction score
Follow up again. Came out this afternoon to mess aroubd again and setting showed up

I hate this delay before the system detects changes, but it'sfinally done. Thanks everyone for the write up, the help and putting up with my rambling!

CJW

Reaction score
Here's a concise write-up for how I got JScan to work. Though Alpha certainly appears to have way more features for those who want to tinker and mod, I decided to save the $30 by going with the cheaper software.

Phone: Samsung Note 10 Plus
JScan Version: v24.01.2021.15:55
Installation Date: Jan 30, 2021
Truck Info: 2019 Ram Laramie Sport 8.4" Nav Head unit, Tow package but no brake controller.

Make sure your truck is connected to the Security Bypass Module first. Connect your Bluetooth adapter to your OBD2 port. (I already had the inexpensive Veepeak one that was mentioned previously.) With your foot off the brake, press your button until vehicle is in the run position. In your phone settings, pair your device to the Bluetooth adapter. (I believe the code for that one is 1234, but check your manual to be sure). Once paired, launch the JSCan software.

Select Ram in the top right. Scroll down and select Ram DS 1500 (2013-2018) in the bottom left. (Image: Step 1.jpg) When prompted for your connection type, select your Bluetooth adapter from the bottom.

Once connected you'll see Dashboard / Modules / Adaptation options. You will select Adaptation. Scroll down this list and you'll see options for Radio User Settings and Trailer Settings. (Image: Step 2.jpg)

From there, you will select "Radio User Settings" and then open each one of these separately, activate them, and press the green GO button to save after each. (Image: Step 3A.jpg)
- Trailer Name On/Off
- Trailer Selected On/Off
- Trailer Type On/Off

When done with that section use the arrow in the top left to back out to the main Adaptation menu From there, you select Trailer Settings. There is only one option to enable and it is ITBM/HW Integrated Trailer Brake Module On/Off. (Image: Step 3B.jpg). Enable that.

Close your software on your phone. Press your start button to turn the ignition to Off and you should be all set.

It may take some time for the settings to become active. It did for me, but I assume that's because I forgot to two the radio settings and only did the trailer setting. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Step 3A Radio.jpg
    Step 3A Radio.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Step 3B Trailer.jpg
    Step 3B Trailer.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 63

Papabear_08

Reaction score
Just did the trailer brake controller install on my 2021 Rebel with the 8.4” Nav. Worked great with the JScan app, the Obd MX + and the SGW Bypass on my iPhone.
God I love it when people come together and share their knowledge with one another lol this forum is awesome. 🙌🏼

saylor

Reaction score
just tried with jscan , the infotainment bypass, and bafx products wifi odbii reader on a galaxy 9 - i get a ELM comms error when i try to push a change...

will research and repost...

Last edited:

saylor

Reaction score
following up - complete success!

with jscan , the infotainment FCA bypass module, and bafx products wifi odbii reader on a galaxy 9 -
i sat in the car with the car running and worked out the wifi connection. i would also do this when registering your jscan and getting it tied to your VIN. work all that stuff out first before actually trying to program anything.
so -

the odbii scanner is 192.168.0.10, but it never offered me a network to join.
per some details in the manual, i built a network connection and put my phone at 192.168.0.11 with a 'gateway' (the manual is wrong this is a subnet mask) of 255.255.0.0.

On my phone the default subnet was given as /24 - so put /16 and a /16 = 255.255.0.0 which is what they asked for - and i left the really gateway blank. this will work, but i expect you could set your gateway to the device IP 192.168.0.10 and keep your /24 = 255.255.255.0 subnet and it should work that way also.

so anyway i got my network solid from the phone to the odbii reader. then turned off the truck. then installed the FCA bypass.
20210222_181002.jpg
plugs into the bypass module
20210222_181053.jpg
where those plugs come from - left of fuse box where the white paint mark is

so -

then put the truck into -RUN - 2 clicks on the start button no foot on the pedal.
open your phone and make sure you are on the ODBii network.
open jscan and choose that network ^^ your phone and the device are on
then connect to your truck - in jscan its the lower left icon/choice a 2018 ram 1500 DS or something - just go with it

so this time instead of setting the radio menus first, i enabled the ITBM controller under adaptations > trailer settings. Enable that and GO.
then - go to radio settings and do
trailer name > GO
trailer selected > GO
trailer type > GO

push each change 1 at a time and save (GO) every time.

turn the truck OFF at the start button.
unhook the FCA bypass.
unhook the odbii scanner.

start the truck as normal.
squeeze the trailer brake or go into vehicle settings on the dash monitor
20210222_181455.jpg
20210222_181529.jpg
20210222_181542.jpg

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
So just did the $139 ebay kit...easy to do. Harness wires/plug ins are a little short on my harness so it was kinda a pain to cut them from the taped harness. Truly about a 30-40 min job if you're being careful. Got all mounted and plugged in. Went to dealer for program in Boulder, CO - $75. Took about 20 min - just enough time to see the new stuff on the lot. All in: $214.99. Camper $16,999...

Devilonwalk

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
You are a savior my man. Just bought a CPO 2019 Ram Big Horn 4x4 5.7L. Only thing it’s missing to get me started with towing my travel trailer is a trailer brake controller..... this will definitely save me some money and negotiating with Absurd dealerships here in Bay Area.

Geo-Pacific

Reaction score

Many, many thanks to brotharon who began this thread. I was a bit disappointed that the Limited I purchased came without a trailer brake controller. Dealer quotes in my area range in the low $700 range. [USER=16095] brotharon gave excellent instruction and a great part list.[/HEADING]
My total cost $230 for everything from scratch + About 1 1/2 hour to install (a bit intimidating at first ripping into the Center screen console and under-dash :)) +2 hour (a lot of trial and error) TheAlphaOBD programming instructions Brotharon gave are excellent instructions for his vehicle. I got it within the first half-hour if not for the weird Uconnect delay. My vehicle was different so there was a bit of a learning curve to figure out my style. I also had the dreaded Uconnect delay which complicated things. Having never done this before I was unsure if I was doing it right. So after three attempts, I was getting the hang of it. Luckily the dash display came up right away and the Switch unit responded well showing Gain and Application of Brake - so I was fairly sure I selected the four simple things correctly - just the darn Uconnect screen would not display "Trailer Brake" in the Settings!!! But as others noted turning the vehicle on and off and after several tries low and behold it magically appeared on its own! must be some sort of a network update-verification?
[HEADING=2][FONT=arial][SIZE=4]1) $49 on Amazon for the Playstore App AlphaOBD for Android Samsung phone[/SIZE][/FONT][/HEADING]
[HEADING=2][SIZE=4][FONT=arial]NOTE - the jscan appears to be a simpler interface AlphaOBD is like an encyclopedia a bit intimidating [/FONT][/SIZE][/HEADING]
[SIZE=4][FONT=arial]2) $21 on Amazon for the BAFX OBDII Bluetooth/Wifi
3) $25 on Amazon for the ECRI Security Gateway Bypass Module fit 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler Gladiator (But works just fine on my 2019 DT 1500)
4) $135 on Ebay 2019 2020 Ram 1500 DT New Body Style Integrated Trailer Brake Controller Mopar Mopar (Included everything to be installed, Trim Switch, Module, Mounting Plate and fasteners)

So much thanks to all who posted - it was greatly beneficial to hear how you were able to succeed - I hate being a captive to a dealership - [/FONT][/SIZE]

Geo-Pacific

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
You're awesome Brotharon! You started an amazing thread - and your detailed illustrations really helped me get this done and be one step beyond the dealer! My turnkey cost Controller, Switch, Bracket, OBDII, and AlfaOBD was around $260. I am going to get some tamper-resistant screws for the center unit - 12" one runs around $2500 plus. So not only did you help save me around $450 on the trailer brake controller you may have prevented my center 12" unit for an easy hiest! - Thanks so much

Erickr123

Reaction score
I followed all steps, bought the bypass, and alfaobd but getting an error "the option is not supported by the body computer modification. Any ideas?

**Disregard - For my 2020, I connected to "RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)" - "Body Computer" - "Body Computer MY2020 PowerNet" and then it allowed me to make changes. Thank you everyone for the great information on here. I used the BAFX OBDII connector and it worked great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-091524_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-091524_AlfaOBD.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210309_101524.jpg
    20210309_101524.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Great writeup! Do you know if we can get the all new "Trailer Reverse Steering Control system" installed if we already have the trailer brake control system by any chance?

Arbormann

Reaction score
I successfully installed the brake controller using the following;

1) Veepeak Mini Bluetooth from Amazon Link I paid $10.98 (2018)
2) Autel MaxiSys bypass cable w/OBD connection from Ebay Link $17.11 W/taxes
3) Jscan for Android (T-Mobile Revvl 5G Android 10) $25.86
4) Brake Kit from Ebay Link $151.40 w/taxes
Total cost; $205.35

The only issues I had were connecting to my Bluetooth Veepeak (I moved my phone closer to the scanner) and screw droppage when mounting the controller bracket.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I successfully installed the brake controller using the following;

1) Veepeak Mini Bluetooth from Amazon Link I paid $10.98 (2018)
2) Autel MaxiSys bypass cable w/OBD connection from Ebay Link $17.11 W/taxes
3) Jscan for Android (T-Mobile Revvl 5G Android 10) $25.86
4) Brake Kit from Ebay Link $151.40 w/taxes
Total cost; $205.35

The only issues I had were connecting to my Bluetooth Veepeak (I moved my phone closer to the scanner) and screw droppage when mounting the controller bracket.
Thanks for the info as I am getting ready to do this also.

Arbormann

Reaction score
Great writeup! Do you know if we can get the all new "Trailer Reverse Steering Control system" installed if we already have the trailer brake control system by any chance?
Personally, since it seems to be fairly new technology, I would hold off on it for a while. I searched the internet and couldn't find it as a stock kit yet.
Check out this review Youtube link

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Personally, since it seems to be fairly new technology, I would hold off on it for a while. I searched the internet and couldn't find it as a stock kit yet.
Check out this review Youtube link
That's what I was thinking however, it would be awesome if it is something we could add to existing trailer break system.

Misterturbo

Reaction score
Excellent directions for installing the TBC. You da man.

I just installed on a new 2021 Rebel with AlfaOBD, and am patiently waiting for the settings to appear on my uconnect 12". Sounds like the system needs to fully go to sleep over a period of time and restart to see the options? I do have the console display and it seems to be working. Fingers crossed they appear.

Even if I need to go to the stealership, i'll still end up ahead.

Misterturbo

Reaction score
Ha! NINJA second post. Figured it out.

For those of you not seeing the trailer brake controller settings immediately within uconnect, all you need to do is hard reset the uconnect system.

Easy-Peasy Solution:
Hold down the middle power and middle tuner knob buttons for 10 seconds, and let off at the same time. The system will restart completely and the options will now show up within the uconnect display.

Users who are viewing this thread