5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

E711

Reaction score
I agree that it is annoying, but when they get all of the software figured out in the future it may allow you to add things like remote lowering of windows and stuff. If you are in the south Houston area I am certainly willing to help out by letting you come by and use mine for the flash. Otherwise, there may be another person in your area who has one.
Need your help brotharon!

jleafgre

Reaction score
the entire kit is now available on line for anywhere from $189.00 to $259.00. My dealer said install time is one hour, if you get the kit for 189 and add 108, dealer hour charge, you get everything done for 296.00 and have a two year warranty on the it and no gorilla fingers banged up.
My dealer wanted 4 hours, all in cost was over $750. Purchased the parts using his part numbers for $160, stilll need to get it programmed. Install was a breeze.

tobym66

Reaction score
I just did this upgrade with the kit from eBay, parts from Amazon and my Iphone. I didn't see anyone post directions for that method all in one spot so I thought I would. The pictures from OP were great and very helpful so this is really just the changes when using an Iphone and JScan.

1. I ordered the OEM Kit from eBay: Here is the one I bought for $139.95
2. I ordered this OBD controller: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner for iOS and Android for $16.99
3. I also ordered this cable: sportuli Fit for Chrysler -12+8 Cable Adaptor for Autel MaxiSys MS908 MS906S 908S MS905 for $35.99
4. Install the Kit from Ebay - this came with instructions.
5. Plug the bypass cable into the two connectors and add the OBD controller on the end.
6. Without foot on brake push the run button on the truck 2x to get it to "run" without the engine on.
7. In your phone settings connect to the wifi that the Veepeak OBD unit puts out. (If you want to also use the internet while connected see below instructions found on Amazon page)
7. Open JScan. (I'll assume you've already purchased the license for your VIN but if not do that now or later when you get to your car settings).
8. Select "Ram DS 1500" on the initial screen almost all the way at the bottom. (There is no option on this software for the DT)
9. Select your OBD tool
10. Toward the top select menu for "ADAPTATION"
11. Navigate to "Trailer Settings"
12. Navigate to "ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module On/Off"
13. Change setting to "Active" and click "GO".
14. Wait for Success.
15. Done - Remove the cable and put the plugs back into the module under the dash.
16. Turn off the truck and turn back on. Test.

Instructions for Veepeak and internet at the same time: go into Settings on your iPhone. Click on the WiFi settings and then tap the "WIFI-OBDII" wireless network (the one created by the Veepeak device.) Click on the "i" with a circle around it to get to the detail settings for the device. In "IP Address" enter 192.168.0.150. For "Subnet Mask" enter 255.255.255.0. For "Router" enter 192.168.0.10. Now your iPhone will use those settings to talk to the Veepeak unit while still having 3G/4G data available for Pandora, iHeartRadio, surfing the web, etc

Total Cost:
Brake Controller Kit: $139.95
OBD Controller: $16.99
Bypass Cable: $35.99
JScan OBD Software 1 VIN license: $18.99

Total Cost: $211.92 (+Tax not shown) installed. The cost for the equipment/software to flash the truck was $71.97. My local dealer wanted $65.00 to do that part and he was on the lower end as I called around. Plus, I don't have to rely on the dealer for any other changes I want to make in the future.
So I installed the JSan software and didn't see an option to select my 2019 RAM (5th Gen). I contacted support and was told it's not supported yet. This worked on your 2020?

datammwv13

Reaction score
Use Alphodb
7a4505775131b5c7632c0380d854e992.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Squirtle

Reaction score
I was planning to buy the parts individually and have it installed at the dealer.. just ended up going through the dealer for this (but an FCA dealership in a smaller rural town). Paid $381 (parts + 1hr labour) for this, taxes included. Canadian rubles.

Funny enough, I was quoted $750 from 2 different dealerships for parts and install in the Toronto area.

Could I have had it done for cheaper? Probably. But for $381, after taxes, I'm happy. From the factory I believe it's a $270 option. So I feel like I'm really only out $110 here all things considered.

L a r r y

Reaction score
Has anyone ran into an issue that after they get the module and the switch in place, when the truck is started, that the windshield wipers come on and stay on? I've disconnected the module/switch to try and figure out where I mucked things up at

Pete7919

Reaction score
So I installed the JSan software and didn't see an option to select my 2019 RAM (5th Gen). I contacted support and was told it's not supported yet. This worked on your 2020?
Yes. Select DS instead of DT. Worked fine on my 2020.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Thanks to all that helped out on this. Dealer I purchased the truck from said $700 to install the Brake controller

Got mine installed and all in it was under $260 PLUS Now I own the Bypass, OBD Dongle and Alpha Software (PC) for an upcoming passive entry MOD.

mthird

Reaction score
Thanks, @brotharon and @Pete7919 (and I'm sure others I'm forgetting)! I was able to get everything working after a bit of trouble.

I initially made this change using the JScan tool and while the instrument cluster towing option lit up. the 8.4" UConnect setting did not. I waited almost two weeks without seeing the option so I broke down and purchased AlphaODB as well. As suspected, none of the CSM options were set to Yes so I would have been waiting a *long* time.

@Pete7919, does your UConnect screen show the towing options?

Lastly, for anyone that runs into an issue where JScan says something like "ECU incorrect length, can't perform adaptation", I had to disconnect the negative terminal for a few minutes to get things to work.

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel and the trailer break controlled will be installed by the dealership for $750 in a couple of weeks. My dump trailer is 6x12' rated at 10,000lbs. My plan is to tow a CAT 303 mini excavator. Please tell me that I DO need the trailer break controller so I don't feel bad about paying $750 for it.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie Ecodiesel and the trailer break controlled will be installed by the dealership for $750 in a couple of weeks. My dump trailer is 6x12' rated at 10,000lbs. My plan is to tow a CAT 303 mini excavator. Please tell me that I DO need the trailer break controller so I don't feel bad about paying $750 for it.
If your a DIY kind of guy it could be done yourself for about $250. from a quick search the CAT 303 can have a weight of 7400# (more with a counterweight. At that weight I would absolutely recommend trailer brakes of some kind. Id also test them to make sure they work properly. Without I'd say pulling that load would be extremely SKETCHY at best. Also, Check the weight of your trailer also. for a 10K dump your easily riding the line of being overweight.

BEST-

MeyerzRam

Reaction score

This post is a DIY for the break controller to avoid paying the dealer.

Reaction score
First thing's first: thank you for the awesome instructions. One addition from me: move your dirver seat backwards before you disconnect the battery - it would make it easier to work in the footwell. I'm all done with the mechanical installation and hit a snag with the software update. 1st I'm not sure that 5th gen ram is listed in the AlfaOBD options. then I get the "ECU Verification Failure message" Any ideas?

get am message that Screenshot_20210130-110611_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-112048_AlfaOBD.jpg

CJW

Reaction score
Thank you VERY much for this write up! Your parts list was spot on and your pictures very helpful. I watched a YouTube video as well to help see how things moved.

The most difficult part was dislodging the blank faceplate from the switch bank those clips were a pain!

$138 for the Mopar Parts
$58 for the gateway m odule
$23 for the JScan license
$0 for the Bluetooth Adapter (I had the same Vepeek one someone else mentioned)

So all in, I got out of this for $211 bucks and a few hours of my time. In all honesty, it took so long because I was fiddling around and it's 20 degrees out.

I had the same problem as another user where their climate would only go HI/LO on the first startup, but I turned off the truck, opened and closed the door and sat there for a few moments and it came back to normal.

Thank you again!

CJW

Reaction score
Martin, I had the same problem using the AlfaOBD demo where it wouldn't recognzie. I didn't want to pull the trigger on $50 software so I opted for the JScan for less than half and it worked great. It was easier to use, too as there was only one option and it toggled all the different sub settings for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It worked with AlfaOBD. There was a difference in the steps sequence, but that's understandable because they update the app often. Just read the options in the app and you'll find the right settings to change.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
It worked with AlfaOBD. There was a difference in the steps sequence, but that's understandable because they update the app often. Just read the options in the app and you'll find the right settings to change.
Glad you got it done and saved all that money the dealer was asking. I’m little help with the android version since I purchased the PC version

I know little about JSCAN. When initially looking thought I saw where a couple people had bricked their truck computer using it (don’t know if true). Also seems to be a ton more user support for alpha

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online