5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

Vinslayer

Reaction score
Scratch that. Came back out to the truck to check the settings. Now seeing it in the radio display. Must have just needed some time to set in. So now I can confirm that this works with jscan as well. 0161424F-34C0-42C0-BFB6-DB0D126F8444.jpeg

Attachments

• F53A29E5-278B-43C7-9020-96F60EF8161B.jpeg
    F53A29E5-278B-43C7-9020-96F60EF8161B.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

khzinger

Reaction score
Have you already installed the controller and module? The $90 is just to program the computer. You will need to install the controller and module.
I installed and programmed everything using Alpha OBD, it was a piece of cake.

funtrucker

Reaction score
Kept getting error message stating trailer control module was failing. Disconnected and reconnected the plugs. All is good, now. Must’ve been a poor connection. Thanks for all the help with the AlphaOBD settings.

Pete7919

Reaction score
I just did this upgrade with the kit from eBay, parts from Amazon and my Iphone. I didn't see anyone post directions for that method all in one spot so I thought I would. The pictures from OP were great and very helpful so this is really just the changes when using an Iphone and JScan.

1. I ordered the OEM Kit from eBay: Here is the one I bought for $139.95
2. I ordered this OBD controller: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner for iOS and Android for $16.99
3. I also ordered this cable: sportuli Fit for Chrysler -12+8 Cable Adaptor for Autel MaxiSys MS908 MS906S 908S MS905 for $35.99
4. Install the Kit from Ebay - this came with instructions.
5. Plug the bypass cable into the two connectors and add the OBD controller on the end.
6. Without foot on brake push the run button on the truck 2x to get it to "run" without the engine on.
7. In your phone settings connect to the wifi that the Veepeak OBD unit puts out. (If you want to also use the internet while connected see below instructions found on Amazon page)
7. Open JScan. (I'll assume you've already purchased the license for your VIN but if not do that now or later when you get to your car settings).
8. Select "Ram DS 1500" on the initial screen almost all the way at the bottom. (There is no option on this software for the DT)
9. Select your OBD tool
10. Toward the top select menu for "ADAPTATION"
11. Navigate to "Trailer Settings"
12. Navigate to "ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module On/Off"
13. Change setting to "Active" and click "GO".
14. Wait for Success.
15. Done - Remove the cable and put the plugs back into the module under the dash.
16. Turn off the truck and turn back on. Test.

Instructions for Veepeak and internet at the same time: go into Settings on your iPhone. Click on the WiFi settings and then tap the "WIFI-OBDII" wireless network (the one created by the Veepeak device.) Click on the "i" with a circle around it to get to the detail settings for the device. In "IP Address" enter 192.168.0.150. For "Subnet Mask" enter 255.255.255.0. For "Router" enter 192.168.0.10. Now your iPhone will use those settings to talk to the Veepeak unit while still having 3G/4G data available for Pandora, iHeartRadio, surfing the web, etc

Total Cost:
Brake Controller Kit: $139.95
OBD Controller: $16.99
Bypass Cable: $35.99
JScan OBD Software 1 VIN license: $18.99

Total Cost: $211.92 (+Tax not shown) installed. The cost for the equipment/software to flash the truck was $71.97. My local dealer wanted $65.00 to do that part and he was on the lower end as I called around. Plus, I don't have to rely on the dealer for any other changes I want to make in the future.

maurodc

Reaction score
My dealer In south Florida (University Dodge) wants $525 just for the install if I bring all the parts :eek:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a rip-off . It takes maybe 30 mins to install the controller and module. Super easy

Lordy123

Reaction score
My dealer said $50 to program the controller after I install it, is that the lowest yet?

Janko

Reaction score
Great instructions! Thank you so much for posting. All of the pictures really gave me the confidence that I could do it myself. I paid $130 for the parts and shipping and dealer performed the software flash for $67. Out the door for less than $200! I am am very happy with that!
Can you please share your dealer name/phone number that I can set up software flash if it is in my area :)

maurodc

Reaction score
Ok just did mine easy but still not showing On the UCONNECT 12.
Trailer is plugged and I did it yesterday and still not showing. Any clues?

Thanks

Bypass from Infotainment 50+shipping
OBDII form BAFX $25 Amazon
and AlfaOBD sofware 49

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok just did mine easy but still not showing On the UCONNECT 12.
Trailer is plugged and I did it yesterday and still not showing. Any clues?

Thanks

Bypass from Infotainment 50+shipping
OBDII form BAFX $25 Amazon
and AlfaOBD sofware 49
Did you get is activated by a dealer after your installed it? Or utilize AlphaOBD yourself?

maurodc

Reaction score
Few days and still not showing anyone any ideas? should I disconnect my battery or uninstall from AlfaObd and reinstall??
Thanks

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have a 12” screen and I didn’t use alpha so I can’t help you. I would uninstall and try again. If that doesn’t work take it to the dealership

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear! I can remember complaining as a youngster about how long it took to get my 1962 Dodge D100 started and warmed up with a manual choke. Amazing how times have changed and now we wait for our radios to update. :)

Users who are viewing this thread