5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Input on towing setup

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you have weight Distribution some weight will be put back on the axles of the trailer. This is a fact.
There was a link to a YouTube video here comparing air bags versus weight Distribution.
You say you'd be over by 200 lbs. You'd be putting about 300 back on the trailer so you'd be under.

Thank for the link, I'll spend some time when I have a chance reading through it...

I've seen a 1/3rd tossed around as an 'easy' answer... but your scenario, I would have enough to accommodate two people and less than 100 lbs of cargo, and there is no buffer/wiggle room for mistakes.

The only way you are really going to know is by taking it to get weighed... and that only works for that configuration.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you have weight Distribution some weight will be put back on the axles of the trailer. This is a fact.
There was a link to a YouTube video here comparing air bags versus weight Distribution.
You say you'd be over by 200 lbs. You'd be putting about 300 back on the trailer so you'd be under.
The job of a weight distribution hitch is to distribute tongue weight forward from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle of the tow vehicle, (making the axle loads more even on the tow vehicle), NOT to the axle of the trailer. If you're using the WDH to remove total tongue weight from the tow vehicle, it's the same thing as improperly loading a trailer so that there is less tongue weight. Why need a WDH if you can just load a trailer so that you get lower tongue weight? Because removing tongue weight is not the answer. Distributing it across the tow vehicles axles is.

Here’s a great page explaining clearly the reduction in weight from the tow vehicle. In this example it is reduced by 298 lbs.

This math is the first step in a two part equation that should be used to distribute the weight across the axles of the tow vehicle. The second part is setting the height of the hitch so that the proper amount of tongue weight is achieved for proper trailer balance. Using the spring bars to reduce tongue weight does shift the weight back to the trailer, but this needs to be corrected with hitch height so that you don't end up running with the effect of a nose up trailer that's heavily loaded behind the rear axles.

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just asking here, but how did you arrive at these numbers? There's no hard and fast rule like that

You are correct there is no hard fast rule, but with a tandem or triple axle the trailer sway is less likely to occur. This is just from experience towing multiple kinds and types of trailers (flatbeds, boats, cargo, car dolly, auto haulers, etc...) over the years.

slimchance

Reaction score
You are correct there is no hard fast rule, but with a tandem or triple axle the trailer sway is less likely to occur. This is just from experience towing multiple kinds and types of trailers (flatbeds, boats, cargo, car dolly, auto haulers, etc...) over the years.
i do NOT agree with your tandem theory when applied to TT, the biggest majority of the larger TT (above 20' TT) have tandem axles and they receive the most complaints about sway and push by big rigs. i also towed a 6500# boat many times to the Del. bay and because the boat was carried by the proper trailer and pulled did not see sway .... never saw a WD hitch on a boat trailer i think because almost all the boat trailers have surge brakes and i believe only a poorly fitted boat to trailer would add excessive payload to the truck

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i do NOT agree with your tandem theory when applied to TT, the biggest majority of the larger TT (above 20' TT) have tandem axles and they receive the most complaints about sway and push by big rigs. i also towed a 6500# boat many times to the Del. bay and because the boat was carried by the proper trailer and pulled did not see sway .... never saw a WD hitch on a boat trailer i think because almost all the boat trailers have surge brakes and i believe only a poorly fitted boat to trailer would add excessive payload to the truck

Having no experience on TT or 5th wheel setups I completely agree and defer to your knowlege assessment. I only have experience with Class A Motorhomes for campers and wind push is a bugger!

jeffmc306

Reaction score
I do not have a TT, that particular conversation just came up within the last couple of weeks. Had I know her interest in a TT, I would likely not have bought the 1500.

And while it is a very nice truck and can tow a good bit, the payload is what is restricting me... not understanding the numbers made me think the TT we looked at was doable. Based on input here, and research, it appears that I am placing the 1500 at (or just over) its maximum capabilities, not a place where I think I want to be...

Ignorance may be bliss, but physics doesn't give a f***. ;)
Gondul, we met on the Airstream Forums - I’m in the same boat with a 27’ Airstream Globetrotter due to arrive in April. We’ve got a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport with 1220# payload. My first stop will be the CAT scales to check the actual axle weights.

If it makes you feel any better, Edmund’s Automotive did a road test with their long-term Ram 1500 towing a 25’ Airstream Flying Cloud (a few hundred pounds lighter but higher tongue weight). Dan did a really good job explaining how the Ram towed on the California Grapevine Highway (6% grade). And, he had 4 people in the truck - no issues. Here’s the link to the video. Good luck with your decision and Happy Camping!

Users who are viewing this thread