5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Input on towing setup

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So... I mentioned to the wife about getting a TT and seeing the sights; I know, ***-backwards, but here we are...

Payload on the truck is 1310.
GVWR on the TT is 7600
TW on the TT is 791

GCVW is 17000
Actual GCVW is 15200

Once I add passenger and the WD hitch, it doesn't leave much of anything for payload.
So while well within the towing capacity, payload is kinda short.

So I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served moving to a 2500; the question then becomes how to do so without losing my shirt on the trade.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that tongue weight is high for a 7600 GVWR trailer. Is that the dry tongue weight?

What make/model trailer?

I have a 7600 GVWR trailer (5168 dry weight) and thought my dry tongue weight was high at 658. It’s about 840 tongue weight when loaded, ready to camp with no water in the tanks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I will start out a different route. Cummins, 3500, dual rear wheels are overkill. ;)
Cummins in a 2500 still robs you of payload.:unsure:

A limited 2500 is still gonna be low on payload:oops:

What setup/configuration of 2500 would you be seeking?

Looks like the Camper you are going after isn't a deal breaker with a 1500...but you will have to watch where you pack the pillows.

Good times trying to figure out the towing enjoyment.

Only one month til camping season here in PA.

I cannot wait to findout how my overkill rig tows ours...and then we can start thinking about a new camper or new Powerwagon/Rebel:love:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that tongue weight is high for a 7600 GVWR trailer. Is that the dry tongue weight?

What make/model trailer?

I have a 7600 GVWR trailer (5168 dry weight) and thought my dry tongue weight was high at 658. It’s about 840 tongue weight when loaded, ready to camp with no water in the tanks.

Airstream 27FB.

Base Weight is 5,868
GVWR is 7600
Hitch Weight is 791 (includes 2-30# LP tanks and two batteries)

791 lbs is 10% of 7600 which is the GVWR... or am I reading all this incorrectly?

RichT

Reaction score
haha, I'm still trying to convince myself I can haul what I need to with a Powerwagon and am scared to hear what kind of upgrade/trade-in numbers get thrown out in this thread.

2wd

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem if it's just you and the wife. Keep the truck mostly empty and get all your gear into the trailer to keep the payload within limits.

It's true in many half tons and even some 3/4 tons, payload will limit you before towing capacity.

For max payload/towing capability, you would need one of these:

good - option light Tradesman/Bighorn 1500
better - Gas 2500
best - Gas or Diesel 3500

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with 2wd. When you travel and have people in the truck, put your stuff in the trailer. For me, when I pull it onto the beach where I have a bunch of junk in the bed (generators, firewood, boards, etc), it is jut me and the dog. Wife and kids are in her truck. When we all travel far, its just people. No need for generators, firewood, etc. so it stays roughly the same payload anyway. My payload comes in just under when I estimate at maximums. Payload is 100 lbs under. Max Towing is at 1,265 under. If you step up to a 2500 it's more money, and then you're driving a work truck around the other 340 days of the year. It's all about your needs and wants. You seem under, just drive safely - which is for any load. I am always perplexed at people driving 70 mph with 55' rigs. Why risk it to get there 1.5 hours earlier.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously think your deciding factor has to be based more on your actual use of the truck.

We camp every weekend from April to October. I haul heavy things during the summer and I dont mind the unloaded ride of the 2500. I also like the overall look of the truck.

If you have a similar use schedule and opinion of the 2500, by all means consider just going to a 2500.

If your truck sees more daily driver use, only a few camping trips, no heavy hauling planned, by all means stay with the 1500.

There is a good bit of middle ground. The 1500 will tow the trailer you want, and the 2500 can make a decent daily driver.

Once you decide what the priorities are, then you can make a more informed decision.

As @orlando bull said, it is doable, and others at 5thGenRams are towing this type of trailer.

@YoAdrian from the othersite is towing a similar trailer. If you haven't read his story, you should. He ordered a fully loaded truck, canceled the order got a lightly optioned truck and is happy as can be staying with the 1500.

Good luck. At least you aren't stuck with the decision and have time to explain all this to the wife.

Note: copies it over from our other site. In case the wording doesnt make sense here lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am always perplexed at people driving 70 mph with 55' rigs.
This is why I do not use the highway anymore. Our first year everything was by the highway.

This past year...every trip was back roads. The biggest time loss was 20 mins. Going the back roads the mileage was shorter, got better fuel mileage and skipped a stop. Got there 15 mins sooner.

Some (most) states do have a speed limit of 55 mph for towing trailers on the highway. So going that fast can also cost you more time and money.

I love these discussions.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I do not use the highway anymore. Our first year everything was by the highway.

This past year...every trip was back roads. The biggest time loss was 20 mins. Going the back roads the mileage was shorter, got better fuel mileage and skipped a stop. Got there 15 mins sooner.

Some (most) states do have a speed limit of 55 mph for towing trailers on the highway. So going that fast can also cost you more time and money.

I love these discussions.
Agreed. The only downside is low bridges and tight turns.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Road construction and the detours are the worst. Ended up going through a town a Fiat 500 shouldn't go through...but I learned I am as good a driver as I think I am lol. But i was sweating it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Good Sam club has an app that is a little more user friendly when planning a trip. It takes into account you are driving a bigger vehicle and plans accordingly.

Google sometimes doesn't care what you drive and just send you however.

I still use an up to date paper map and also use Google earth to scout out the trail, if I can not take a pre run of it unloaded.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also learned that if you can't leave on time, do not rush the drive...only makes things worse.

We go on 2 full one week vacations each year. I give the whole daylight hours for the drive. Night time really changes the comfort factor.

Johnvan

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I went to a towing seminar by Andy Thomson of Can-am RV. It was really interesting. He went over everything from liability to insurance, suspension, braking, aerodynamics and more.
He showed a mustang towing an airstream with a 600lb tongue weight. The weight distribution hitch transferred a couple of hundred pounds to the trailer and almost 200 to the front axle.
He really emphasized that the RAWR was what really mattered.
He had a Chrysler 300, Mercedes sedan, and a dodge Grand caravan on display all towing really large trailers.

Zinger

Reaction score
Tough call. Will the truck haul that rig? Absolutely, no issues. Will you be right at payload? Probably. Could you load the trailer and keep weight out of the truck such that you're within official limits? Probably. I think it comes down to your tolerance for potentially being a bit over payload. The truck will handle it. Perhaps you can do a test hookup and drive to gauge it.

Your only other options are an HD truck or a different trailer, the latter being the cheapest alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread