5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

OlegShv

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie with 17k miles. Noticed the rear window leak after the rain last week. Ended up just doing the Permatex window sealant fix myself. No leaks so far.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
GM has a problem with their sliding windows too they are very similar to rams in those years as I had to have mine in my old 21 Silverado changed do to leaking. I think those were just designed from the supplier terribly.

RAM and GM used the same design and suppliers. Ford and Toyota used very different design and manufacturer.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry for the rookie question, but is the fix the same for the brake light with the camera? Those leak all the same? *I have a 2021 Limited.

Thanks!
for this get some marine weather stripping from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Take the old gasket off, clean the surface well, and put the new weather stripping on, making sure the seam is on the bottom.

Something like this

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
I now have this dreaded leak...Thought I may have been immune because I have a 2020 QUAD cab 4x4 Rebel 4X4 purchased new. No sun roof or all glass panorama roof to allow the cab to flex more.

Stelantis/RAM mailed me a 10 year extended warranty ONLY covering the rear window leak a few months ago.

Not wanting to seal around the entire rear window just yet ( especially with a 10 year warranty on this issue ! )...BUT if it is a simple fix I am all for doing it my self and NOT letting my headliner and interior get marred & scuffed, fasteners broken that hold interior pieces but still put in place etc...they may fix my window leak but I 100% guarantee something else will get broken in the process that I will not find until I have a opportunity to inspect the entire job.

Has anyone verified EXACTLY WHERE the leak is getting in ??
Looks to me like it is possibly getting in around the 3rd brake light/CMHL as I can see It has left drip marks almost exactly in the same place on each side of the sliding window frame that align/correspond to the width of the 3rd brake light/CMHL.

Mahaloz !!

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to me like it is possibly getting in around the 3rd brake light/CMHL as I can see It has left drip marks almost exactly in the same place on each side of the sliding window frame that align/correspond to the width of the 3rd brake light/CMHL.

Mahaloz !!
Part of the issue is that there's not just one place that can leak. Theoretically, you can have a leak anywhere there is a hole or seam in the sheet metal. The majority seem to be the rear window surround and CHMSL. But people have also had leaks in the shark fin antenna, rear cab vents, sunroof drains, and seams in the sheet metal. For us it was coming through the cracks in the rear window surround. It was pretty obvious. Ram replaced the rear window and resulting fried RF hub just before the factory warranty expired last year, and so far it's still leak free.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I now have this dreaded leak...Thought I may have been immune because I have a 2020 QUAD cab 4x4 Rebel 4X4 purchased new. No sun roof or all glass panorama roof to allow the cab to flex more.

Stelantis/RAM mailed me a 10 year extended warranty ONLY covering the rear window leak a few months ago.

Not wanting to seal around the entire rear window just yet ( especially with a 10 year warranty on this issue ! )...BUT if it is a simple fix I am all for doing it my self and NOT letting my headliner and interior get marred & scuffed, fasteners broken that hold interior pieces but still put in place etc...they may fix my window leak but I 100% guarantee something else will get broken in the process that I will not find until I have a opportunity to inspect the entire job.

Mahaloz !!
It can leak from anywhere. I inspected my headliner and it was in the corners of the rear window. Just seal the whole thing all the way across. I even sealed the CHMSL and the shark fin while I was at it

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
Part of the issue is that there's not just one place that can leak. Theoretically, you can have a leak anywhere there is a hole or seam in the sheet metal. The majority seem to be the rear window surround and CHMSL. But people have also had leaks in the shark fin antenna, rear cab vents, sunroof drains, and seams in the sheet metal. For us it was coming through the cracks in the rear window surround. It was pretty obvious. Ram replaced the rear window and resulting fried RF hub just before the factory warranty expired last year, and so far it's still leak free.
Nice you are leak free now.

I forgot to mention I have the shark fin antenna also, so, not just going to let them replace the window till I know the source of the leak. I'm ready to pull down the headliner myself before I let anyone touch it.

This is where I go back to Bruce Lee, you must be the water

2020 Rebel

Reaction score
It can leak from anywhere. I inspected my headliner and it was in the corners of the rear window. Just seal the whole thing all the way across. I even sealed the CHMSL and the shark fin while I was at it
That's a big negatory, ain't about to go full caulk crazy yet when I got a extended 10-year warranty on this thing just for for rear window leak issue.... Glad it worked for you and it's the worst case scenario backup for me.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a big negatory, ain't about to go full caulk crazy yet when I got a extended 10-year warranty on this thing just for for rear window leak issue.... Glad it worked for you and it's the worst case scenario backup for me.
Understood. I wouldn't think the dealer would penalize you for trying to save your trucks interior tho.

Pribilof

Reaction score

Mahaloz !!

The rear window frame cracks. If you have this issue you'll see the cracks on the inside top frame and also on the outside. Mine cracked on both sides of the rear slider. I filled mine with 2-part 3M urethane. Even though I should be in the XL1 warranty extension list based on my option codes and build date, I'm not. Never in my life had to fight warranty coverage as much as with Ram (both trucks). This will be my last Ram truck based on that.

Users who are viewing this thread