5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

E.Hands

Reaction score
Ram dealer needed photos of all over the truck to send to Stellantis. "To make sure we aren't gaming the system." Yes, because the dealer isn't jam packed with service and warranty work anyway...

Estimated 3+ month wait for the window.

I'll be accessing the RF hub so I can cover it with a plastic bag in the meantime.

Unfortunately I also have the driver fender leak. Mechanically this truck has been great. Assembly has been dog ****e. I have cars that are 40 and 50 years old that don't leak.
Where is this "RF Hub"? Has anyone done a DIY on water proofing it?
Is this it?
1716496615443.png

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Is this it?
View attachment 183716
I took a zip loc baggy and put it over the top as far as it would go down and then put a zip tie around it to help hold it in place. Waterproof???? Not hardly but I think the truck would have to be underwater for it to get wet enough to effect it. If that were to happen you have bigger things to worry about. I also checked the vents to be sure they were installed correctly.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
******UPDATE******

I have another leak. I came out to the truck today during the rain and all interior windows were fogged. I guess I have to start this process over again. 21,000 miles and a year and a half old or so.

For those of you who have owned a Ram with a leak at the back window and had it fixed by replacing the entire rear window, did it return eventually?
I had my rear window replaced about 4 months ago and so far no leak yet.

v/r

Pribilof

Reaction score
Pretty unbelievable. XL1 for the rear window is not attached to my VIN even though my 2019 should be covered by build date and options codes listed on the TSB - and I even received the warranty letter. Last Stellantis product ever for me. I've never had so much trouble (multiple times) getting warranty items covered. Subaru, Toyota, Audi, Ford, Chevy, Porsche always covered warranty items without a fight.

cerbo

Reaction score
Is this it?
View attachment 183716
wonder if the unit gets warm or needs to be open or if condensation is possible by covering it up (without a leak)? Just thinking out loud before making a problem where there is none, LOL.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on mine after about 2 months. *Knock on wood* so far so good. It's rained about 200" (at least it feels like it) here in the past 2 months. A couple storms have been 2-3" in an hour with 60mph winds type, so they've been severe. No water on the back window or under the seat.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
My original window fram cracked back during the 'Rona hysteria and they had no replacements available back then anyway. So i just waited. The at some point last year RAM extended a warranty on the window and the 3rd brakelight. I finally was able to schedule the repair earlier this year. The swap was handled by a local glass company of whom offered their own warranty on the repair as well as RAM did too. So far I have had no leaks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My original window fram cracked back during the 'Rona hysteria and they had no replacements available back then anyway. So i just waited. The at some point last year RAM extended a warranty on the window and the 3rd brakelight. I finally was able to schedule the repair earlier this year. The swap was handled by a local glass company of whom offered their own warranty on the repair as well as RAM did too. So far I have had no leaks.
What year is your truck? I still didn’t get my backlight extended warranty paper

Archabald

Reaction score
I noticed the two cracks in my window frame with water marks, I called the local dealer explained what was happening and they said bring it in and they would handle it, I repeated myself a few times on the cracks on the window frame and was assured they are taking care of it. I dropped off the the truck to them and when I picked it up found out they only did the third brake light TSB, not the window frame. I showed my advisor the cracks and they were adamant the leak was coming from the brake light and said it is cosmetic and referred me to a interior upholstery and plastics repair shop. I took the truck home and it rained over the weekend and sure enough I had water on the cracks still. I called back in the next week with the rear window TSB number and asked them to look into it. They called me back a week later after I called multiple times checking in and they said its out of warranty and no coverage. I was given Ram Care's number and told I can see if they could help me.

I called ram care and they said I needed a case number. I then gave them my service advisors number and they started a case for me. I called a week later and no update, so I called today (another week later) and got a hold of my case manager. They told me there is no coverage and coverage is only 1 year 20,000 kms. I am 4 years and 80,000 kms.

Super disappointed in the support even when the TSB acknowledges the manufacture's defect. Ram Doesn't Care

Attachments

• IMG_3694.PNG
    IMG_3694.PNG
    272.7 KB · Views: 6

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the two cracks in my window frame with water marks, I called the local dealer explained what was happening and they said bring it in and they would handle it, I repeated myself a few times on the cracks on the window frame and was assured they are taking care of it. I dropped off the the truck to them and when I picked it up found out they only did the third brake light TSB, not the window frame. I showed my advisor the cracks and they were adamant the leak was coming from the brake light and said it is cosmetic and referred me to a interior upholstery and plastics repair shop. I took the truck home and it rained over the weekend and sure enough I had water on the cracks still. I called back in the next week with the rear window TSB number and asked them to look into it. They called me back a week later after I called multiple times checking in and they said its out of warranty and no coverage. I was given Ram Care's number and told I can see if they could help me.

I called ram care and they said I needed a case number. I then gave them my service advisors number and they started a case for me. I called a week later and no update, so I called today (another week later) and got a hold of my case manager. They told me there is no coverage and coverage is only 1 year 20,000 kms. I am 4 years and 80,000 kms.

Super disappointed in the support even when the TSB acknowledges the manufacture's defect. Ram Doesn't Care
The 3 year/36k mile factory warranty covered replacement of the rear window and RF hub (which was killed by the water) at 33 months when this happened to our Limited.

Mpye

Reaction score
Update on mine after about 2 months. *Knock on wood* so far so good. It's rained about 200" (at least it feels like it) here in the past 2 months. A couple storms have been 2-3" in an hour with 60mph winds type, so they've been severe. No water on the back window or under the seat.
We had ours fixed after going back and forth with FCA and having a warranty. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago we are having the same issue. It hasn’t rained here and we had our 2019 rebel parked in a parking garage for 5 days at the airport while on vacation and came back to a dead battery. Finally got it started and it snowballed with lights from there.

Can’t use the key fob to unlock/unlock/remote start. Replaced the battery, checked fuses, and the press to break to start now drains the battery. We have to disconnect the negative cable to get it to reset. Well today I go to leave work and the key fob doesn’t work and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Wipers came on and truck wouldn’t shut off. Just like it did the first time. The OEM battery was replaced just in case. Battery, started, alternator, fuses, ground wires, and key fob batteries are good. Called Ram cares and off to the dealership it goes. I bought a driveway ornament 😂

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I’ve been following this rear window leak thread since it started and some others as well and I figured my 2022 would have this window leak problem at some point towing 7k# enclosed car hauler 60% of the time. Yep, last week with 33k miles and 30 months old a small leak started that runs down the window on the passenger side tight up against the pillar. Noticed it right away and used a towel to keep it contained.

I’m not having my vehicle tied up to have this window replaced only to find out it leaks again like some others have had after replacement. It’s an inferior design / manufacture and installation. I get it and here’s what I did.

Went to Autozone and purchased 3 tubes ($25) of Permatex 81730 Windshield & Glass Sealant 1.5oz. It dries clear. Taped off the window with Frogtape that is superior to that blue painters tape. I left the CHMSL in place and taped it off. Started on passenger side, used the majority of one tube filling until level up to the sliding window. It flows nicely. Wiped it smooth and then immediately removed the tape before doing the drivers side. Did same and finished with the center window last. I used every last bit of sealant and could have used slightly more. I cleaned anything that got on the window front or paint with lighter fluid.

It looks perfect, and standing on the ground you can’t see it. Haven’t had it in the rain yet, but I’m assuming it’s fixed. For me traveling/ towing the upper Midwest roads that are some of the worst this is a better choice for permanent repair that only took 2 hrs.

Just an update a month after doing this window repair on a truck still under 3/36 warranty. I’ve recently been through several days of rain both sitting and towing. My leak is fixed and I don’t believe it will return with the rear window upper exterior cavity completely filled with Permatex 81730 Windshield & Glass Sealant. I’m glad I didn’t waste my time at the dealer with this. It was a cheep fix and not noticeable with the truck being white and cavity above eye level.

P1010002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread