5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put it literally across the entire inside of the top of the window.
It would be better to seal the outside, to seal the water out. If you seal the inside, it can trap the water, causing it to rust.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be better to seal the outside, to seal the water out. If you seal the inside, it can trap the water, causing it to rust.
I put Permatex flowing silicone on the outside all the way across then black silicone caulk along the inside.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cr@p I thought he did the entire outside. My bad. Yes, tape up and do the outside!

1st Time Ram

Reaction score
Cr@p I thought he did the entire outside. My bad. Yes, tape up and do the outside!
I just joined the club. Truck wouldn’t start. Jumped it and started right up but if it was off for an hour it would be dead again. 2021 Limited with 11K miles still under warranty. Dealer eventually determined I had a cracked rear window frame which allowed water infiltration which caused an electrical component to short out. They had a window company replace the rear window and ordered the replacement electronics. Had my truck for three weeks due to the part being “Backordered”. I had read about this issue on the forum and asked them to check the third brake light and shark fin antenna which they said they did but not sure they did. Not documented if they actually did check. Service Advisor told me she was pretty sure FCA was going to do an extension since they have seen quite a few of these problems. Maybe that would help those who are outside of their warranty.

SG2018

Reaction score
Bought my 2019 1500 Bighorn in September of 2019. All was well until summer of 2021. I started noticing a musty smell, and guess what.....mold under my floormats under the passenger rear seat. I then noticed the stained headliner and Google quickly told me that I was one of the many who had the dreaded window leak. Trip #1 to the dealer, they found nothing wrong with the window and simply replaced the 3rd brake light. 2 months later, the smell, and mold, returned. Annoyed, I took it back to the dealer. After all, I was still under warranty. This time they finally found the cracked window frame and replaced the window after having my truck for nearly 2 weeks. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, approximately at 46,500 miles, I notice water dripping down the inside of the rear window. Sure enough, I found the leak in the upper corner, where the plastic frame meets the glass. The seal once again has failed, most likely due to flexure of the cab vs the rigidity of the window. The Permatex solution failed, so I removed what silicone I could. I'm now out of warranty and have scheduled to have my dealer charge me hundreds just to tell me what I already know; their sliding rear window is an awful design that has failed for the second time.

I'm hoping that @RamCares can help me out, or else I'm going back to a Chevy.....where I should have stayed a customer. 20230417_175017.jpg

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Bought my 2019 1500 Bighorn in September of 2019. All was well until summer of 2021. I started noticing a musty smell, and guess what.....mold under my floormats under the passenger rear seat. I then noticed the stained headliner and Google quickly told me that I was one of the many who had the dreaded window leak. Trip #1 to the dealer, they found nothing wrong with the window and simply replaced the 3rd brake light. 2 months later, the smell, and mold, returned. Annoyed, I took it back to the dealer. After all, I was still under warranty. This time they finally found the cracked window frame and replaced the window after having my truck for nearly 2 weeks. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, approximately at 46,500 miles, I notice water dripping down the inside of the rear window. Sure enough, I found the leak in the upper corner, where the plastic frame meets the glass. The seal once again has failed, most likely due to flexure of the cab vs the rigidity of the window. The Permatex solution failed, so I removed what silicone I could. I'm now out of warranty and have scheduled to have my dealer charge me hundreds just to tell me what I already know; their sliding rear window is an awful design that has failed for the second time.

I'm hoping that @RamCares can help me out, or else I'm going back to a Chevy.....where I should have stayed a customer. View attachment 157548

Chevy's have the rear window leak too.

SG2018

Reaction score
Chevy's have the rear window leak too.
While most people posting on forums with vehicle issues are in the minority of owners, it seems that this is a much more serious issue for Ram. The filing of a class action lawsuit is quite the indicator that this isn't just a few customers, but is affecting thousands of people who've had the problem and countless others who haven't but may in the future. If Ram is serious about maintaining their strong brand and customer base, they'll resolve this design flaw and support current owners in their resolutions.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if I replied to this thread or not.. but:

I had the leak and window frame crack within the first 2 wks of owning this truck. Less than 1k miles on the clock. Dealer took a few weeks to get the part in (PreCovid) and replaced the entire rear window. The leak came back in 2-3 months.. this time they said it was the 3rd brake light. They claim they replaced the seal with an updated one, but I'm pretty sure they just ran a bead of black silicone on it and plopped it back on. Either way it worked.

I'm 50k miles and 3 1/2yrs in with no leaks. I check it just about everytime it rains. (y)

RamCares

Reaction score

I'm hoping that @RamCares can help me out, or else I'm going back to a Chevy.....where I should have stayed a customer. View attachment 157548
Hey there,

Thanks for tagging us in this! We've received your direct message and look forward to assisting you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Idahoktm

Reaction score
While most people posting on forums with vehicle issues are in the minority of owners, it seems that this is a much more serious issue for Ram. The filing of a class action lawsuit is quite the indicator that this isn't just a few customers, but is affecting thousands of people who've had the problem and countless others who haven't but may in the future. If Ram is serious about maintaining their strong brand and customer base, they'll resolve this design flaw and support current owners in their resolutions.

I disagree. I'm not a Chevy guy, but just doing a search for "Silverado rear window leaks" brings up a lot of hits. There are threads with hundreds of pages, just like there are for the Ram rear window leaks. I agree that Ram needs to address this issue, but switching to Chevy isn't going to fix your problem.

SG2018

Reaction score
Question. Has anyone actually received support for the window leak issue from RamCares? I sent a PM to them a few days ago, but have heard radio silence since. I know every case is different, but I haven't heard of what criteria justifies their involvement toward the resolution of our cases. If there's really no chance of reimbursement for a new window installed out of warranty, I'll just save myself the cost of 4 hours of shop time to "diagnose" my leak. Seems those few hundred would be better spent towards installing a solid rear window through a local glass shop.

kzielu

Reaction score
The question is - are there trucks that never leaked ? Hard to figure that out from the forum but it would be interesting to know what's the percentage of them that do leak and is it pretty much a certainty that you'll end up with this ********...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The question is - are there trucks that never leaked ? Hard to figure that out from the forum but it would be interesting to know what's the percentage of them that do leak and is it pretty much a certainty that you'll end up with this ********...
Mine hasn't, but it's second hand, so it may have already been fixed.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disagree. I'm not a Chevy guy, but just doing a search for "Silverado rear window leaks" brings up a lot of hits. There are threads with hundreds of pages, just like there are for the Ram rear window leaks. I agree that Ram needs to address this issue, but switching to Chevy isn't going to fix your problem.
GM uses the same supplier so yes they have the same issue, now you can more easliy get a fixed window on the GM trucks which will avoid the issue.

6of36

Reaction score
I have had 2, 1 for 3 years, the second totaled at 1 1/2 years, but neither one leaked. None of my friends with Rams have leaks. Being that there have been over a million 5th gen trucks built, and a few hundred people on here with the leak, I think more don't leak. It is a poor design though to have the leaks they do.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had 2, 1 for 3 years, the second totaled at 1 1/2 years, but neither one leaked. None of my friends with Rams have leaks. Being that there have been over a million 5th gen trucks built, and a few hundred people on here with the leak, I think more don't leak. It is a poor design though to have the leaks they do.
My family has owned four 5th gen Ram 1500's. Two of those four trucks developed the cracked window frames and leaked, and two of them didn't. But the longest we kept the two without the cracks was 18 months. While on the two that did leak, it happened right at the end of the 3rd year of ownership. The prevalence of leaks on 5th gens far exceeds issues I've seen on other generation Ram forums. And one local dealership in my rural area fixes a few of these every week. I'm sure the number of trucks that don't leak is in the majority, but it's definitely an issue for more than a few hundred people out of "over a million trucks built".

6of36

Reaction score
My family has owned four 5th gen Ram 1500's. Two of those four trucks developed the cracked window frames and leaked, and two of them didn't. But the longest we kept the two without the cracks was 18 months. While on the two that did leak, it happened right at the end of the 3rd year of ownership. The prevalence of leaks on 5th gens far exceeds issues I've seen on other generation Ram forums. And one local dealership in my rural area fixes a few of these every week. I'm sure the number of trucks that don't leak is in the majority, but it's definitely an issue for more than a few hundred people out of "over a million trucks built".
I wasn't insinuating the few hundred on here weren't the only ones.Just stating because there are a few hundred on here, doesn't mean most leak.

kzielu

Reaction score
The question is whether those that don't leak, don't leak yet. Oldest one are 2019 and amount of miles this shows up might be different due to climate they're used in, style of driving and other factors (and people drive different amount of miles to begin with). Don't think I ever saw such a widespread problem in a recent history of carmaking that doesn't seem to have gotten fixed at production level - which means they don't know how or fixing it though a redesign would be too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread