5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you bought a truck that's not a Ram

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I switched from a '19 RAM to a '21 F150. Not because I didn't like the RAM (loved it actually and had a 21 on order) but because the dealerships as well as RAM cooperate are unbearable. Worst experience EVER! They're both great trucks with slight advantages in certain areas for one or the other. However the Ford is lightyears ahead when it comes to engines. I've got the powerboost and average 21.7 mpg while leaving the Hemi in the dust ....

Really? You think the little powerboost is going to leave the trx in the dust?

The Ford sucks pretty bad for towing. Suspension is jittery, the truck is lightweight and easier to push around, and the turbos are not durable and guzzle gas worse than a N/A when actually worked. The hemi can run all day towing.

So if you want a replacement for a big passenger car, the Ford might be worth a look (but interior comfort is still better in the Ram). But for towing or durability, I'll stick with N/A like the 5.7, or the GM 6.2.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure a $100,000 truck can be considered mass-market.
Tell that to those on the (sold out) reservation lists!

But seriously, that’s only the top-of-the-line price. The entry model prices are competitive with a Ram Limited or Longhorn, F-150 Platinum/KR/Limited, Denali, etc.

And if that’s still too much, GM is advertising that they’ll have 35(!) EV models for sale by 2025. That’s a big number.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

But seriously, that’s only the top-of-the-line price. The entry model prices are competitive with a Ram Limited or Longhorn, F-150 Platinum/KR/Limited, Denali, etc.

And if that’s still too much, GM is advertising that they’ll have 35(!) EV models for sale by 2025. That’s a big number.
Top of the line (only one that will be on the road this calendar year) starts at over $112K. Next year, you can get one at $100K. Year after that, $90K. And 2024, $80K.

So, entry level in three years competes will a fully optioned Limited today.

As far selling out the Edition 1, what are the numbers? Still doesn’t make it mass market; McLarens sell out, too.

Don’t get me wrong; these are impressive vehicles, and people with money to burn help propel technology forward into the mainstream (I remember when airbags were a luxury feature).

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's cool looking for sure but not very practical unless they make a sequel to Tango and Cash

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Top of the line (only one that will be on the road this calendar year) starts at over $112K. Next year, you can get one at $100K. Year after that, $90K. And 2024, $80K.

So, entry level in three years competes will a fully optioned Limited today.

As far selling out the Edition 1, what are the numbers? Still doesn’t make it mass market; McLarens sell out, too.

Don’t get me wrong; these are impressive vehicles, and people with money to burn help propel technology forward into the mainstream (I remember when airbags were a luxury feature).
Well, the top of the line (Edition 1) SUV is "only" $105,595 ;)

GM won't share production/reservation numbers, but the Detroit Free Press reported that there were 10,000 Edition 1 Hummer EV pickup reservations. They sold out in 10 minutes.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
The price tag is not really that far off of a Loaded Limited, if you drive 30K plus miles a year, the fuel and maintenance savings really begin to play a role. My Ecodiesel will cost me at least $750 in oil changes the first year. I have not looked into EV vehicle tax credits and other stuff but that adds up too. 3 years from now at $80K it will be neck and neck for a limited, cheaper possibly figuring the total cost of ownership. And I bet the rear window won't leak :cool:. I'm not an EV fanboy but when the technology meets my needs, that is what I will purchase, all I know for sure is it won't be Ram, unfortunately, they can't the 12" radio figured out, imagine an entire truck :LOL:.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The price tag is not really that far off of a Loaded Limited, if you drive 30K plus miles a year, the fuel and maintenance savings really begin to play a role. My Ecodiesel will cost me at least $750 in oil changes the first year. I have not looked into EV vehicle tax credits and other stuff but that adds up too. 3 years from now at $80K it will be neck and neck for a limited, cheaper possibly figuring the total cost of ownership. And I bet the rear window won't leak :cool:. I'm not an EV fanboy but when the technology meets my needs, that is what I will purchase, all I know for sure is it won't be Ram, unfortunately, they can't the 12" radio figured out, imagine an entire truck :LOL:.
Who cares about the rear window if you have both a targa top AND a T-top. If that's not a recipe for leaking...(from a former Camaro owner/lover) ;)

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And yet you took the time to reply.
That dude is always negative just ignore it. 😅. Anyways, the redesign for the Ranger and Tacoma come to mind. Should be 2023 model year. The prospect for a Dakota would be cool. Looking forward to the refresh for the 2022 Silverado/Sierra if they do in fact fix that disgusting interior. The F-150 ‘redesign’ (it’s really a refresh lets be honest) looks great on the outside but it really dropped the ball in a lot of aspects, specifically the interior. But the hybrid and generator are cool for sure. So yeah those are competitors I would consider from a Ram. Rivian and Cybertruck...mmmmm yeah maybe I dunno yet.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeep Gladiator

I looked at this first also. I found it to not quite be big enough or have a stout enough engine for my liking.

F150 would have been the next choice since I have a good relationship with a local dealer...but it was just so plain and boring compared to the Ram.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at this first also. I found it to not quite be big enough or have a stout enough engine for my liking.

F150 would have been the next choice since I have a good relationship with a local dealer...but it was just so plain and boring compared to the Ram.
It is just the only other truck Mopar has. I sit in other brands and they stop working lol

MagicA4

Reaction score
Really? You think the little powerboost is going to leave the trx in the dust?

The Ford sucks pretty bad for towing. Suspension is jittery, the truck is lightweight and easier to push around, and the turbos are not durable and guzzle gas worse than a N/A when actually worked. The hemi can run all day towing.

So if you want a replacement for a big passenger car, the Ford might be worth a look (but interior comfort is still better in the Ram). But for towing or durability, I'll stick with N/A like the 5.7, or the GM 6.2.
No ... the 'little' powerboost is no match for the TRX. If I want to leave the TRX in the dust - I'd take my 911 (also twin-turbo) which is faster in the straight and obliterates it in the turns.

And no need to lecture me on gas mileage - I had a '19 HEMI ... ~16mpg vs ~22 now - and the powerboost blows the door of the 5.7 (not that this would be of any interest - racing a truck is downright stupid). And one last thing ... the worst payload my cars and trucks ever experience is the weekly Costco haul.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No ... the 'little' powerboost is no match for the TRX. If I want to leave the TRX in the dust - I'd take my 911 (also twin-turbo) which is faster in the straight and obliterates it in the turns.

And no need to lecture me on gas mileage - I had a '19 HEMI ... ~16mpg vs ~22 now - and the powerboost blows the door of the 5.7 (not that this would be of any interest - racing a truck is downright stupid). And one last thing ... the worst payload my cars and trucks ever experience is the weekly Costco haul.
I agree 100%, I don't get what's with the boomers and the HEMI bros on this forum who are so brand 'loyal'. Like dude, we have fast German cars. We don't need amazingly fast trucks, and we get sick of 13 mpg. The 5.7 is lowkey pretty lame anyways, yes it's a very smooth engine and the power curve is pretty good. But it's old AF, sucks up fuel, and Ford and Chevy have faster more powerful engines now. With emissions, I don't even see the 5.7 being around for another 5-7 years or so. If I wanted 13 mpg, I'd get a Tundra. Hell our 6.4 Hemi gets 13 too, lol.

Apettit13

Reaction score
I would probably go with a tundra, possibly even a Tacoma. I truly wish that dodge would bring back the Dakota, I don’t necessarily need a full size truck, but am a dodge guy through and through.

Misterturbo

Reaction score
I’ll be the odd ball here, and will say the Rivian has my interest piqued. If it delivers what is promised of course. The cyber truck looks wild, but realistically that thing will look ridiculous in my driveway.
I also think the next gen tundra is going to be a hot commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread