5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you bought a truck that's not a Ram

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I make a change it’s going to be the Silverado 1500 duramax, crew cab standard bed with the max tow package and tow mirrors.

if I went away from the diesel for some reason I’d get the same truck with the 6.2 I really like the AT4 but I’ve gone from buying what I think is cool to buying what I need to tow my camper since I use all year round

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No ... the 'little' powerboost is no match for the TRX. If I want to leave the TRX in the dust - I'd take my 911 (also twin-turbo) which is faster in the straight and obliterates it in the turns.

And no need to lecture me on gas mileage - I had a '19 HEMI ... ~16mpg vs ~22 now - and the powerboost blows the door of the 5.7 (not that this would be of any interest - racing a truck is downright stupid). And one last thing ... the worst payload my cars and trucks ever experience is the weekly Costco haul.

Yeah let's compare a 911 vs a truck lol, that seems fair 🤦‍♂️

silver billet

Reaction score
I agree 100%, I don't get what's with the boomers and the HEMI bros on this forum who are so brand 'loyal'. Like dude, we have fast German cars. We don't need amazingly fast trucks, and we get sick of 13 mpg. The 5.7 is lowkey pretty lame anyways, yes it's a very smooth engine and the power curve is pretty good. But it's old AF, sucks up fuel, and Ford and Chevy have faster more powerful engines now. With emissions, I don't even see the 5.7 being around for another 5-7 years or so. If I wanted 13 mpg, I'd get a Tundra. Hell our 6.4 Hemi gets 13 too, lol.

On the one hand you say "we have fast german cars" and on the other you complain that the 5.7 is slower than top engines from Ford and GM. Can't have it both ways.

It's the entire package that counts. I don't need fast german cars (which are notoriously unreliable btw) or fast trucks. I would take a mild bump in power and MPG, but the entire truck as a package, no other truck comes close.

You have to look at the 5.7 as more of a competitor to the Ford 2.7/5.0 and the Chevy 5.3, and a direct competitor to Nissan 5.6 and Toyota 5.7. When you do that, the 5.7 isn't a bad engine at all, it has competitive power and mpg specs. Ram doesn't offer a higher powered engine, which is how I look at it. The 5.7 isn't a failure, it's just that Ram doesn't offer a competitor to the two bigger engines from GM/Ford (if you don't include the TRX, if you do include it, well you'll have no choice but to agree the Ram is on top)

silver billet

Reaction score
Well, you compared the powerboost (a.k.a. hybrid) to the TRX. To me the TRX (as well as the Raptor) is as useful as the popes testis.

Yes and we're comparing Ford trucks vs Ram trucks. You wrote:

However the Ford is lightyears ahead when it comes to engines. I've got the powerboost and average 21.7 mpg while leaving the Hemi in the dust ....

So you want to compare Ford truck engines against Ram truck engines, but not the top Ram truck engine, and then say "it leaves it in the dust".

If you're argument is simply that Ram needs to offer a bigger engine in lower trims, OK fine, agreed. The simple fact is, Ram and Ford have different engine strategies, and both have advantages and disadvantages. For guys like me who look at the total package (Ram as a truck vs Ford as a truck), and then just want a good/strong/reliable engine for towing, well the 5.7 works pretty well. And I still get 25 mpg on the highway if I put a little thought into driving well.

MagicA4

Reaction score
Yes and we're comparing Ford trucks vs Ram trucks. You wrote:

So you want to compare Ford truck engines against Ram truck engines, but not the top Ram truck engine, and then say "it leaves it in the dust".

If you're argument is simply that Ram needs to offer a bigger engine in lower trims, OK fine, agreed. The simple fact is, Ram and Ford have different engine strategies, and both have advantages and disadvantages. For guys like me who look at the total package (Ram as a truck vs Ford as a truck), and then just want a good/strong/reliable engine for towing, well the 5.7 works pretty well. And I still get 25 mpg on the highway if I put a little thought into driving well.
My bad ... I should've said "all but" ... and be more specific about "leaving in the dust". I didn't mean performance only. As I've said before I'm no hillbilly who needs to race other cars or trucks on the highway. Let's call it 'modern technology' ... that's where most of the Ford engines are simply ahead. As you said, the complete package counts and there are certainly areas where the RAM leads the way.
About the 25mpg with the 5.7 HEMI ... lol ... I believe you when you believe me my 911 does 60.

silver billet

Reaction score
My bad ... I should've said "all but" ... and be more specific about "leaving in the dust". I didn't mean performance only. As I've said before I'm no hillbilly who needs to race other cars or trucks on the highway. Let's call it 'modern technology' ... that's where most of the Ford engines are simply ahead. As you said, the complete package counts and there are certainly areas where the RAM leads the way.
About the 25mpg with the 5.7 HEMI ... lol ... I believe you when you believe me my 911 does 60.

Ford uses a turbo, Ram uses superchargers. "simply ahead" is simply incorrect, and neither are new technologies. Heck, until recently Ford didn't even offer anything resembling MDS which FCA had already back in 2009. You got blinders on my friend.

As for MPG, glad you asked! 9.4 l/100 km = 25 mpg. 3 hour freeway trip, MDS disabled entire time.

9.4 l_100 km.png

MagicA4

Reaction score
Ford uses a turbo, Ram uses superchargers. "simply ahead" is simply incorrect, and neither are new technologies. Heck, until recently Ford didn't even offer anything resembling MDS which FCA had already back in 2009. You got blinders on my friend.

As for MPG, glad you asked! 9.4 l/100 km = 25 mpg. 3 hour freeway trip, MDS disabled entire time.

View attachment 90095
Well ... my powerboost is a hybrid twin turbo. But you're right a supercharger is equally good and efficient. BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Audi RS, Porsche etc etc etc etc must all be morons for using turbos. But why are you so obsessed with the TRX anyway? Go ahead and buy one then. Don't discuss **** you don't even own.
Oh ... and post your picture in the 5.7 gas mileage thread. They'll declare you their king!
And that's over and out for me.

ben b

Reaction score
I went with the 2021 RAM 1500 for my first truck buy for two non-truck reasons: The incredible limousine-smooth ride and the luxury trim inside. Now I'll haul my stuff around in comfort.

If not RAM, I would have bought an F150. Not for any of the solid reasons that people above me have described. Instead, I just like the feeling inside the F150 because of the way the side window drops and you can see what is outside easier. It gives me an open and pleasant feeling when I drove it. Purely emotional, non-sensible, maybe-even-silly reason. But the vehicles I have enjoyed the most have all spoken much more to my emotional side than to my logical brain.

silver billet

Reaction score
Well ... my powerboost is a hybrid twin turbo. But you're right a supercharger is equally good and efficient. BMW M, Mercedes AMG, Audi RS, Porsche etc etc etc etc must all be morons for using turbos. But why are you so obsessed with the TRX anyway? Go ahead and buy one then. Don't discuss **** you don't even own.
Oh ... and post your picture in the 5.7 gas mileage thread. They'll declare you their king!
And that's over and out for me.

I didn't say Ford were morons for using turbos, I said both turbos and super chargers have been around for years and Ford uses one Ram the other.

I did say, that Ford didn't even offer cylinder skip tech (you know, "modern tech" you like so much) such as MDS; both Ram and GM have offered that for 10+ years. GM is currently ahead in that area since it turns off any number of cylinders seamlessly.

As for the powerboost, Ram has had etorque since 2019; powerboost is quite similar, Ford just has a really big battery and a really big inverter to power the bed. Neither of these are ground breaking either, the Chevy Volt has been out for years and could run on all electric for miles and seamlessly start it's little 4 banger when gas ran out or when more power was required. The engine would power the wheels and recharge the battery at the same time.

So if I had to pick a truck manufacturer that has the best drivetrains available, my vote would be GM at this point. They have the best diesel, they have the strongest N/A 6.2, a really good 5.3, and a tiny 4 banger for those that just want an engine. Too bad they reserve the 10 speed for the premium trucks, so that's one thing I think Ford does best all around; they give you whatever drive train you want in whatever trim, which is what they should all do. But I'm not complaining either, my 5.7 and 8 speed works really smooth and seamlessly.

Finally; you asked for the MPG, I delivered, you could be a little more adult about it.

MagicA4

Reaction score
I didn't say Ford were morons for using turbos, I said both turbos and super chargers have been around for years and Ford uses one Ram the other.

I did say, that Ford didn't even offer cylinder skip tech (you know, "modern tech" you like so much) such as MDS; both Ram and GM have offered that for 10+ years. GM is currently ahead in that area since it turns off any number of cylinders seamlessly.

As for the powerboost, Ram has had etorque since 2019; powerboost is quite similar, Ford just has a really big battery and a really big inverter to power the bed. Neither of these are ground breaking either, the Chevy Volt has been out for years and could run on all electric for miles and seamlessly start it's little 4 banger when gas ran out or when more power was required. The engine would power the wheels and recharge the battery at the same time.

So if I had to pick a truck manufacturer that has the best drivetrains available, my vote would be GM at this point. They have the best diesel, they have the strongest N/A 6.2, a really good 5.3, and a tiny 4 banger for those that just want an engine. Too bad they reserve the 10 speed for the premium trucks, so that's one thing I think Ford does best all around; they give you whatever drive train you want in whatever trim, which is what they should all do. But I'm not complaining either, my 5.7 and 8 speed works really smooth and seamlessly.

Finally; you asked for the MPG, I delivered, you could be a little more adult about it.
Let's agree to disagree and call it a day. I honestly don't even now why I'm arguing here. This is a pickup truck - I couldn't care less.
If you ever want to discuss sports cars, hit me up and we can go on for days. A fair warning though - as a dual citizen I like me freedom American and my sports cars German 😉 But hey ... go Maple Syrup!

silver billet

Reaction score
Let's agree to disagree and call it a day. I honestly don't even now why I'm arguing here. This is a pickup truck - I couldn't care less.
If you ever want to discuss sports cars, hit me up and we can go on for days. A fair warning though - as a dual citizen I like me freedom American and my sports cars German 😉 But hey ... go Maple Syrup!

I don't know anything much about sports cars to be honest. Wouldn't be much of a discussion.

silver billet

Reaction score
And actually, though I'd be the first to admit the German sports cars probably have a significant edge up in terms of handling and heading around a track (maybe the new vette is competitive too?); I do feel drawn towards the bigger American cars like the Challenger, the Charger, the older 60's - 70's sports cars like firebird, GTO etc.

The reason for that is just my preference, I want a comfortable road cruiser. If I had money in the budget, it would probably be a new Challenger with a stick and the big N/A 6.4. I could drive that for hours. I don't want a tiny runabout with low profiles that jars me all the time. I know they have traction issues and handling isn't the best, but I wouldn't be street racing, just cruising in comfort.

Maybe I'm just getting old lol. When I was a kid I was all about the BMW 3 series; was it the "E" generation? The ones made in late 90's I think, a lot of newer cars were benchmarked against it while being designed, like the ATS/CTS, the G8 etc.

Anyway, I can dream.... One day.

Fatherof3

Reaction score

View attachment 90095
I can attest to the 25 MPG , I’ve gotten the same on the highway for a 400 km run . I did keep it at the speed limit though .

SD Rebel

Reaction score

View attachment 90095

Well Ford uses turbos on the majority of their engines where as the supercharger on the RAM is on a very expensive low production vehicle. Not exactly similar applications.

Ford has historically not liked cylinder deactivation, and lets be honestly, most RAM owners don't either.

I love my RAM, especially with the sound the 5.7L Hemi makes. But my 2.7L Ecoboost was a jewel that got me vastly better mpg on the same route, if it just didn't sound like an Accord sedan.

I bought my RAM not as a technology engine tour de force, which it isn't, but because it's a big burly truck that isn't ashamed of it. I lament the day that goes away.

silver billet

Reaction score
Well Ford uses turbos on the majority of their engines where as the supercharger on the RAM is on a very expensive low production vehicle. Not exactly similar applications.

Ford has historically not liked cylinder deactivation, and lets be honestly, most RAM owners don't either.

I love my RAM, especially with the sound the 5.7L Hemi makes. But my 2.7L Ecoboost was a jewel that got me vastly better mpg on the same route, if it just didn't sound like an Accord sedan.

I bought my RAM not as a technology engine tour de force, which it isn't, but because it's a big burly truck that isn't ashamed of it. I lament the day that goes away.

Yes Ford uses turbos more, but what does that "prove" in this context? That they're superior and leaving Ram in the dust? That's all I was trying to point out, that Ram uses N/A for the most part but still has the ability/tech/know how to super charge and make an absolute monster. No other brand has more tire shredding v8's in the stable; small v8, big v8, supercharged v8; FCA is pretty much the definition of American Muscle at this point. Talking about Jewel; the dodge demon is what, 808 hp at this point?

As for 2.7 MPG, my brother got worse than I get on the highway (I do worse in the city); and he got worse while towing. As soon as you dip into that turbo it's game over, MPG is down the drain. Nature of the beast, when you push more air through the engine you need to push more gas through too. The 5.7 is also more linear in power delivery. So I guess in order to define "jewel", we have to say what matters most to us in an engine. I'm towing, so no turbo for me. I can see how people would enjoy them as a family hauler or daily driver.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes Ford uses turbos more, but what does that "prove" in this context? That they're superior and leaving Ram in the dust? That's all I was trying to point out, that Ram uses N/A for the most part but still has the ability/tech/know how to super charge and make an absolute monster. No other brand has more tire shredding v8's in the stable; small v8, big v8, supercharged v8; FCA is pretty much the definition of American Muscle at this point. Talking about Jewel; the dodge demon is what, 808 hp at this point?

As for 2.7 MPG, my brother got worse than I get on the highway (I do worse in the city); and he got worse while towing. As soon as you dip into that turbo it's game over, MPG is down the drain. Nature of the beast, when you push more air through the engine you need to push more gas through too. The 5.7 is also more linear in power delivery. So I guess in order to define "jewel", we have to say what matters most to us in an engine. I'm towing, so no turbo for me. I can see how people would enjoy them as a family hauler or daily driver.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound aggressive, you mentioned that Ford uses turbos and RAM uses superchargers, my only point is that RAM only uses superchargers on a very specific engine that isn't common while the vast majority of their engines are naturally aspirated. The application of forced induction from Ford and RAM isn't on the same level.

"Leaving in the dusty", you mean literally or figuratively? Sure, a TRX will smoke a Raptor (for now). If you mean by modern engine tech, absolutely. Ford has small displacement turbos, hybrids and soon an electric. GM even has a 4-banger turbo and will also have a hybrid and full electric. RAM has what, E-Torque? RAM has already admitted that they are behind in engine tech and are working on catching up. Some talk of an electric I heard, though nothing specific.

Tire shredding V8s is cool, but not exactly forward thinking is it? You need more if you are going to stay competitive in the future, unless you just want to be the muscle truck brand and running 3rd fiddle in sales like they have historically.

When I said my 2.7L was a "Jewel", I meant it was a nice motor with good power, efficiency and reliability. But you compare it to a 808 hp motor? I wasn't comparing the most common motor found in the F-series to the least common motor found on FCA vehicles.

My 2.7L got me 7 mpg better than my 5.7L on the same drive, also faster. But again, as I mentioned earlier, I like my Hemi more because its powerful enough and sounds great. You can love your RAM and still be open minded about the competition. I don't have any brand loyalty, I buy what I feel is the best, and right now that's the RAM. But I can also say they won't stay there for long if they don't start progressing. Heck, GM has a mid-cycle refresh for their Silverados and Sierras, what is RAM doing for 2022?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was in the market for my 2019 1500, I tried out the Silverado/Sierra, the F-150, and the Tundra. The Ram was was the clear winner. However, I am anxious to see what Toyota does with the new Tundra. I still love my Ram though.
I love my ram and the 5.7, however I think ram has the worst reliability 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/