5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you bought a truck that's not a Ram

RamOwner

Reaction score
If you were going to buy truck that's not a Ram, what would it be and why?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
EV Hummer, no oil changes no transmission, no gas tax, crab walk, push-button 6" lift, instant heat in the dead of winter no waiting for the engine to warm up, acceleration that almost matches my C7 Z06. I know a lot of people are laughing at it but I like it. If I didn't have to drive 400+ miles in a day so frequently I would have bought one of those. I am hoping this new truck I am getting is the last fuel truck I will have to buy. The technology is coming along quickly on the battery trucks, and with 400-mile regular trips, yes I want the truck to drive itself over the boring parts.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm normally a Ford guy, had a 2015 which I loved. I do get bored every few years and tend to get something new, however the all new F150 looks too much like the one before, even though it's all new, which makes me want something else. If they were more adventurous with the exterior & interior design, it would likely be my next truck.

However, I do like how the Silverado Trail Boss looks, and they are finally fixing the interior, that would likely be something I would consider. Probably a 6.2L LT with the Trail Boss trim.

Also, the Tundra is finally being redesigned, and I heard they went big with it, in terms of design and innovation. I would like to see what they came up with on that one as well.

RamOwner

Reaction score
EV Hummer, no oil changes no transmission, no gas tax, crab walk, push-button 6" lift, instant heat in the dead of winter no waiting for the engine to warm up, acceleration that almost matches my C7 Z06. I know a lot of people are laughing at it but I like it. If I didn't have to drive 400+ miles in a day so frequently I would have bought one of those. I am hoping this new truck I am getting is the last fuel truck I will have to buy. The technology is coming along quickly on the battery trucks, and with 400-mile regular trips, yes I want the truck to drive itself over the boring parts.
EV is the future. Right now, the mileage limits and charging times are too restrictive for my primary vehicle.

RamOwner

Reaction score
I'm normally a Ford guy, had a 2015 which I loved. I do get bored every few years and tend to get something new, however the all new F150 looks too much like the one before, even though it's all new, which makes me want something else. If they were more adventurous with the exterior & interior design, it would likely be my next truck.

However, I do like how the Silverado Trail Boss looks, and they are finally fixing the interior, that would likely be something I would consider. Probably a 6.2L LT with the Trail Boss trim.

Also, the Tundra is finally being redesigned, and I heard they went big with it, in terms of design and innovation. I would like to see what they came up with on that one as well.
When I was in the market for my 2019 1500, I tried out the Silverado/Sierra, the F-150, and the Tundra. The Ram was was the clear winner. However, I am anxious to see what Toyota does with the new Tundra. I still love my Ram though.

James1414d

Reaction score
I had two new Silverados before my Ram. They were both great! Not anywhere near as comfortable as the Ram, but good runner ups.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
When I was in the market for my 2019 1500, I tried out the Silverado/Sierra, the F-150, and the Tundra. The Ram was was the clear winner. However, I am anxious to see what Toyota does with the new Tundra. I still love my Ram though.

I agree, the RAM was the best truck on the market in 2019, maybe still. Who knows, I may just keep it beyond the 3-4 years I typically keep one.

MagicA4

Reaction score
I switched from a '19 RAM to a '21 F150. Not because I didn't like the RAM (loved it actually and had a 21 on order) but because the dealerships as well as RAM cooperate are unbearable. Worst experience EVER! They're both great trucks with slight advantages in certain areas for one or the other. However the Ford is lightyears ahead when it comes to engines. I've got the powerboost and average 21.7 mpg while leaving the Hemi in the dust ....

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I switched from a '19 RAM to a '21 F150. Not because I didn't like the RAM (loved it actually and had a 21 on order) but because the dealerships as well as RAM cooperate are unbearable. Worst experience EVER! They're both great trucks with slight advantages in certain areas for one or the other. However the Ford is lightyears ahead when it comes to engines. I've got the powerboost and average 21.7 mpg while leaving the Hemi in the dust ....

The dealership network is something I forget to mention as well. Before I got my truck, I did notice, FCA network (Chrysler, Dodge, RAM & Jeep) were essentially last in just about all reviews for dealership network and experience. I didn't really think nothing of it, but now I know it's pretty accurate and a big reason why I may not go RAM next time around. I came from Ford, which aren't the greatest dealers either, but honestly light years ahead based on my experiences at RAM. We recently got a entry-level Toyota, half the price of my truck, and the service is so much better there as well.

The service department sucks so much, Its a hassle to get even the simply stuff looked at, like my recall floor mats. Simply put, FCA dealerships are swamped with new customers and weren't ready to handle it. While RAM service dealers are rated like 30th or something (near last), Chevy is like 2nd or 3rd place and Ford is 10th. Another reason why I am looking at a Trail Boss.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sierra or a Silverado. I have never been a fan of the Ford interior or the Ecoboost.

Sherran

Reaction score
Some of these Silverado's with the right trim and color will def. get me to turn my head.

Pretty much ditto what Snofire said.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
EV is the future. Right now, the mileage limits and charging times are too restrictive for my primary vehicle.
Boy I sure hope the future can make them a whole lot better than they are now. Not to mention power grids recently couldn't even keep up with an itty-bitty cold front that dipped down into the southern states.

So not to throw this thread off mine would of been a trail boss with a 6.2.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right now, maybe another F150 with the Powerboost, but in acouple years when I'm looking to trade in, who knows.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you were going to buy truck that's not a Ram, what would it be and why?
I like variety, I guess...
  • GMC Hummer EV (both pickup and SUV) - first "serious" mass-market electric truck offerings, with sky-high potential.
  • Ford F-150 PowerBoost - intrigued by this legitimate hybrid. Not as much of a leap as the Hummers, though.
  • Power Wagon (oh wait, that's a Ram)
  • Ford F-250 gasser with 4.30 gears, either loaded Platinum/King Ranch or maybe with Tremor package - a nice HD truck with a potentially fun gas engine.
  • GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali or Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD High Country - I like the GM trucks when properly equipped and could see going diesel here (as much for the Allison as for the Duramax...I miss the old 8.1L gasser).
  • I keep hearing that the new Tundra is coming, but it'll have to be epic to compete here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/