5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Get the Best Price on Your New Ram

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
On silent bob's advice I put an email out to his recommended dealers and a bunch of local dealers with the build of the 3500 big horn I wanted. I ordered the truck yesterday from Phillip Olson out in washington state and would recommend him to anybody. He answered my email within a couple hours on his day off and his initial offer was 6% under invoice without any negotiating. Definitely a straight shooter compared to alot of the other salesmen I dealt with. No hidden fees and no shady stuff with the numbers. We ended up at 8% under invoice, 16% under msrp. And that's with no rebates currently on the 3500s. With any luck there might be some more discount by the time it gets here. Thanks silent bob and Phillip. Two thumbs up.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Saw this today when looking around for more rebates: https://www.drivepluscard.com/disclosures

If you apply for a RAM credit card and spend $7500 in 2021, you'll get a $1000 coupon to apply to a RAM purchase. I think you have to wait until January 1st or I could be reading it wrong? I can easily put $7500 on a card in about 4-5 months by using it for everything, just a shame that once you hit that $7500, you have to wait at least until 2021 OR looking at fine print, like 8 weeks for the certificate.

It'd be great if it was instant, I'd put the down payment of $7500 for the truck on the card if I got like a statement credit or something but if it was easy, they wouldn't do it.

Anyone have experience with this deal and want to shed some light?

"Earn a $1,000 Bonus Certificate towards your next new FCA US vehicle* when you spend $7,500 in your first year.3 *Model restrictions apply. See your dealer for program details, current model eligibility and to learn if this offer can be combined with other FCA offers."

I guess in short, if I knew this was a thing I would have opened an account up in December and put everything on it for a few months. It's another $1000 off. I'm sure some credit card geeks in here know other ways to get more value in points for $7.5K in purchases but those looking for the absolute best deal could do well to add this to their savings scenario if they are not buying a truck today.

$1000 Off - PenFed
1% under invoice - TreadLightly
$1000 off - RAM credit card (after spending $7500)
Can the PenFed and credit card for sure be combined? Might be worth calling FCA incentives to confirm. I got the impression that these types of offers typically do not combine. If they do....might need to go on a spending spree!

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can the PenFed and credit card for sure be combined? Might be worth calling FCA incentives to confirm. I got the impression that these types of offers typically do not combine. If they do....might need to go on a spending spree!

That's actually my plan at some point this week to call them up and ask. The fine print does say, "See your dealer for program details, current model eligibility and to learn if this offer can be combined with other FCA offers."

Agreed, I'd hate to waste $7500 in spending that I could put on a card that has a good rewards program only to find out I can't get $2500 in customer cash in addition to my $1000 cert.

mtnchar762

Reaction score
On silent bob's advice I put an email out to his recommended dealers and a bunch of local dealers with the build of the 3500 big horn I wanted. I ordered the truck yesterday from Phillip Olson out in washington state and would recommend him to anybody. He answered my email within a couple hours on his day off and his initial offer was 6% under invoice without any negotiating. Definitely a straight shooter compared to alot of the other salesmen I dealt with. No hidden fees and no shady stuff with the numbers. We ended up at 8% under invoice, 16% under msrp. And that's with no rebates currently on the 3500s. With any luck there might be some more discount by the time it gets here. Thanks silent bob and Phillip. Two thumbs up.
I was working with Mr. Olson as well. I think the best they would offer was 12% under MSRP for my build on a Big Horn nearly identical to Dillon. Did you have some additional incentives?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Phillip Olson (Bud Clary) in Seattle gave me a great deal. Waiting for the truck to be built, then a road trip home.

I'll see what he can do for me with the RAM rebate and the PenFed $1,000. (There's always a lot of fine print in these things.)

I'll also call the FCA number, but I think the individual sales manager (like Phillip) has more flexibility in allowances than does the FCA telephone answering person.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I was working with Mr. Olson as well. I think the best they would offer was 12% under MSRP for my build on a Big Horn nearly identical to Dillon. Did you have some additional incentives?
It seems higher MSRP adds up to more percentage off.
Dillon has great prices but usually requires that you finance with them at a higher rate. They ask that you wait six months before you refinance to get a lower rate.
Phillip and Aaron do not have those financing requirements.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is one of those "coupons" you guys keep talking about? Just received my first one.

Unfortunately, it has not been 60 days yet so I don't have my PenFed Coupon OR Tread Lightly certificate so I'll have to wait for those to come in. This also says "Must take delivery by 3/31"

rhuOoHv.png
EaCcIJu.png

*Obviously I cut out my coupon code*

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well lo-and-behold, it turns Out my employer (which is a part of the magic behind the new UConnect 5 system) has an FCA Affiliates code and I pulled that up and sent it over to Aaron.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that I can’t combine my control number with the Tread Lightly number but maybe I’m wrong? I shared both data points with Aaron.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Well lo-and-behold, it turns Out my employer (which is a part of the magic behind the new UConnect 5 system) has an FCA Affiliates code and I pulled that up and sent it over to Aaron.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume that I can’t combine my control number with the Tread Lightly number but maybe I’m wrong? I shared both data points with Aaron.

Affiliate Pricing is 1% below factory invoice plus a $75 administration fee, before incentives/rebates. Those who are putting in the work should be getting 5 to 8% off.

Technically if the dealer is giving you more than the 1% off they are not supposed to submit for reimbursement using the Affiliate program. Some will give you an additional discount and request the reimbursement anyway.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
By the standards of good pricing, I presume this needs to be about 50K to be "good deal"? That would make it about 20% off?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't finalized anything yet but my interactions with Aaron so far have been very good. He did add some things I wanted to share with you regarding stacking. His responses are sub-bullets to mine:
  • I have a $1000 bonus cash email from RAM, offer code = xxxxxxxx
    • Wouldn’t be compatible with penfed I don’t believe
  • Tread Lightly - Joined 2/19 so will have to wait until 3/20 to get my FCA Affiliate Number
    • You already have a control number through your employer, so you don’t need to be with tread lightly
  • PenFed - Joined 2/21 so I’ll have to wait 60 days for my code to activate with TrueCar for $1000 Off
    • Should be compatible as long as it shows when I pulled your name for incentives at time of delivery
  • I am willing to, if necessary get a RAM credit card and do the $7500 spend to quality for $1000 off via a certificate that arrives later
    • Not sure, never used this and not familiar with it or if its stackable
PS: Aaron's initial offer on a loaded limited was 13.75% under MSRP before any incentives. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll ping him back in a couple of weeks to see if the price changed then probably put in an order.

Update: phone quoted price is 14.3% off before any rebates or incentives. Getting closer :)

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Mtnchar762 the only thing in addition to the stuff silent bob recommended is $500 first responder discount.

That well deserved discount and more are in the More Incentives section on the first page of this post.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't finalized anything yet but my interactions with Aaron so far have been very good. He did add some things I wanted to share with you regarding stacking. His responses are sub-bullets to mine:
  • I have a $1000 bonus cash email from RAM, offer code = xxxxxxxx
    • Wouldn’t be compatible with penfed I don’t believe
  • Tread Lightly - Joined 2/19 so will have to wait until 3/20 to get my FCA Affiliate Number
    • You already have a control number through your employer, so you don’t need to be with tread lightly
  • PenFed - Joined 2/21 so I’ll have to wait 60 days for my code to activate with TrueCar for $1000 Off
    • Should be compatible as long as it shows when I pulled your name for incentives at time of delivery
  • I am willing to, if necessary get a RAM credit card and do the $7500 spend to quality for $1000 off via a certificate that arrives later
    • Not sure, never used this and not familiar with it or if its stackable
PS: Aaron's initial offer on a loaded limited was 13.75% under MSRP before any incentives. I'm not in a huge hurry so I'll ping him back in a couple of weeks to see if the price changed then probably put in an order.

Update: phone quoted price is 14.3% off before any rebates or incentives. Getting closer :)

Update:
Mark Dodge is now at 14.3% after we had a phone call.

I spoke to the salesman @ Bud Clary, their price is 14.7% off MSRP (before any fees, tax, etc)

Note: For me, they would only ship the truck to my dealer if I paid for it in full, or ship it to me around $1 a mile OR I could come get it but shipping & fly & drive NH to WA would eat up the savings so unfortunately, Bud Clary probably won't earn my business unless they can have the truck sent to me. I plan on calling them back in a couple of weeks to ask if their rules on where they ship has changed.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this info here as I get it. Once I actually put in an order, I'll share it in the other "price negotiated" thread.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Note: For me, they would only ship the truck to my dealer if I paid for it in full, or ship it to me around $1 a mile OR I could come get it but shipping & fly & drive NH to WA would eat up the savings so unfortunately, Bud Clary probably won't earn my business unless they can have the truck sent to me. I plan on calling them back in a couple of weeks to ask if their rules on where they ship has changed.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this info here as I get it. Once I actually put in an order, I'll share it in the other "price negotiated" thread.

Sharing here or the other thread is all good.

Would they not take a $5000 cash non refundable deposit for the courtesy delivery?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sharing here or the other thread is all good.

Would they not take a $5000 cash non refundable deposit for the courtesy delivery?

The phone call I had with Bud Clary was delivery to any dealer is possible with fully sold orders (paid in full). If I'm financing, RAM would send the truck to him and I have to come get it or pay for shipping.

I did not offer $5000 non refundable deposit. I'll do that next time we chat.

Given their price savings of $400 less than Mark Dodge, I'll ask him again in a couple of weeks but the diesel from Seattle to New Hampshire would destroy those savings.

mtnchar762

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information here it has been very helpful. I was looking at Dennis Dillon Ram or Bud Clary. So far I have found Mr. Olson at the Bud Clary Dealership in WA to be the must upfront and clear about the purchase, just wish it was a little closer to my location but maybe will make a vacation out of the delivery.

Dennis Dillon Dodge won't allow more than a 10k downpayment and either they handle the financing or add 2k to the price. I could probably do better just locally at that point with the 2k hit. Dennis Dillon Ram also does not seem very willing to disclose their financing terms/interest rate. The price is nearly the same as Bud Clary, but so far I haven't been told by Bud Clary that they too require their "special" financing package to actually get a reasonable discount.

I've at least got the Penfed 1k discount and given the delivery times probably can get the Tread Lightly discount as well. That was very helpful, I've been a member of Penfed for 15 years.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information here it has been very helpful. I was looking at Dennis Dillon Ram or Bud Clary. So far I have found Mr. Olson at the Bud Clary Dealership in WA to be the must upfront and clear about the purchase, just wish it was a little closer to my location but maybe will make a vacation out of the delivery.

Dennis Dillon Dodge won't allow more than a 10k downpayment and either they handle the financing or add 2k to the price. I could probably do better just locally at that point with the 2k hit. Dennis Dillon Ram also does not seem very willing to disclose their financing terms/interest rate. The price is nearly the same as Bud Clary, but so far I haven't been told by Bud Clary that they too require their "special" financing package to actually get a reasonable discount.

I've at least got the Penfed 1k discount and given the delivery times probably can get the Tread Lightly discount as well. That was very helpful, I've been a member of Penfed for 15 years.

Bud Clary does not require financing through them.

Dennis Dillon does but you can refinance, after six months, to a lower rate. This would not be a good option if you want the special 0% rate. If you were going to do your own financing it would not be a big deal.

Nova90

Reaction score
The phone call I had with Bud Clary was delivery to any dealer is possible with fully sold orders (paid in full). If I'm financing, RAM would send the truck to him and I have to come get it or pay for shipping.

I did not offer $5000 non refundable deposit. I'll do that next time we chat.

Given their price savings of $400 less than Mark Dodge, I'll ask him again in a couple of weeks but the diesel from Seattle to New Hampshire would destroy those savings.
Are you sure about this? I've been talking with Phillip and he is contacting some of my local dealers to see if they will accept the courtesy delivery. He mentioned a 10% deposit not 100%. Basically, he owns the truck until I would take delivery and the dealer is trying to cover themselves in the event they would need to ship back from PA to WA if I were to walk away from the deal. He is going to complete the Sold Order Protection as well, but I will most likely take the current 0% financing offer available now as I don't see the Rebel discounts improving much by delivery from the current $1,000.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I've been talking with Phillip and he is contacting some of my local dealers to see if they will accept the courtesy delivery. He mentioned a 10% deposit not 100%. Basically, he owns the truck until I would take delivery and the dealer is trying to cover themselves in the event they would need to ship back from PA to WA if I were to walk away from the deal. He is going to complete the Sold Order Protection as well, but I will most likely take the current 0% financing offer available now as I don't see the Rebel discounts improving much by delivery from the current $1,000.
Thanks, I’m glad I posted. I’ll give him a call back in a week and confirm what I heard was correct.

If he’s able to beat Mark Dodge by $400 and save me a fly & drive, then he may have himself a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread