5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Get the Best Price on Your New Ram

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay...my timing is horrible.

I'll be out of the country at the end of the month. Is there any reason NOT to send out an email to the various dealers tomorrow? Or, should I wait for Monday for an internet or fleet sales manager to be there?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Similar to when the sales manager/finance guy at the dealership tells you that they lost money on the sale while smiling and handing you keys. They didnt.
I wish someone who works at the dealership to uncover this secret for us ;) I don't see the same think happening in Ford or Toyota world. Dealers don't sell 5% below invoice price usually.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I don't see the same think happening in Ford or Toyota world. Dealers don't sell 5% below invoice price usually.

"The invoice hasn’t been a vehicle cost for well over two decades. In the mid-1990s the auto industry launched a phony “redesign” of the automaker-dealer financial relationship by raising the invoice price by more than it raised the retail/sticker price year after year, cutting the difference between the two dramatically and turning the invoice into a bloated imposter. Of course, that's what they want us to think they pay for vehicles."

Ford and Toyota examples below.

Ford Mustang
1993 - 10.4%
1995 - 10.0%
1996 - 9.1%
2002 - 8.5%
2011 - 8.1%
2013 - 7.7%
2017-18 - 5.5%

Toyota Camry
1993 - 16.0%
1995 - 13.3%
1998 - 12.5%
2002 - 11.0%
2008 - 10.8%
2013-18 - 9.0%

Toyota Camry Truecar Example
$27,480 MSRP
$25,096 Invoice
Yet many people are paying less than $23,809

If you want to know the whole story check out this five-part investigative series. https://clark.com/cars/eye-opening-truth-about-dealer-invoice-price/

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a work in progress. Please reply with any additional strategies and information.

With differing degrees of work you can get a good to great price on your new truck. We will start with the discounted price on the truck and cover rebates/incentives after.

Easy Method

For those who do not want to put in much effort use just the Affiliate Pricing Program (FFP). You will get 1% below Invoice Pricing (FWP) and any available incentives/rebates.

Check to see if your employer is part of the Affiliate Pricing Program LINK
If not join Access Fund for $50 - LINK
or
Tread Lightly for $100 - LINK
After joining you must wait 30 days before you take possession of the vehicle. This works at any dealership.

You can find invoice pricing for your model and all factory options at one of these websites.
NADA Guides - LINK
Car Connection - LINK

Get a Lower Price

Now that we know anyone can easily get 1% off the factory invoice this can be a starting point to negotiation for those willing to put in the work.
Make email contact with as many dealerships as possible and ask them for their best price. Go to websites and look for contacts for Sales Manager, Internet Sales Manager or Fleet Manager if possible. Those in the internet and fleet departments are used to giving lower prices than the general salesmen. Some fleet departments will not work with an individual and will pass you off. Looking for high volume dealers in adjacent states can often get you lower prices.

Rebates/Cash Incentives

There are other nationwide and local rebates and incentives available in addition to the ones below. For those doing a factory order only the rebates/incentives available when the truck arrives will be applied.

You can often get a rebate ($1500 as of this writing) by going to ramtrucks.com and giving them your email. It is a popup so turn off you ad/popup blocker. If you don't get it try a different device or browser.

BonusDrive $250 Rebate - You or someone in your household must own, lease, or trade in a vehicle that is not a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, or Fiat. You do not need to be an Allstate customer for this - LINK

Membership Incentives

PenFed - $1000 (does not combine with military $500) LINK
Future Farmers of America (FFA) - $500 LINK
SAM's Club (shows up sometime after using their car search) - $500 LINK
More Offers currently including Military Personnel $500, First Responder Personnel $500, and DriveAbility Disability Assistance $1000 LINK
Ram Incentives & Rebates List LINK1 LINK2
USAA no longer offers cash incentives.

You can call FCA Incentives at 1-800-227-0757 to help you figure out which rebates you can use. Helpfulness varies on who you talk to.

Volume Dealers

These are some dealers known to give out low offers. If distance is a problem you can do a "fly & drive", have it shipped, or use the numbers to negotiate locally.
Bud Clary in Washington State LINK
Mark Dodge in Louisiana LINK

Criswell in Maryland LINK
Koons in Virginia LINK
Dennis Dillon in Idaho LINK
Lakeland in Florida LINK

Phillip Olson at Bud Clary in Washington State is offering members of this forum great pricing.
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

Aaron Ginsburgh at Mark Dodge in Louisiana is offering members of this forum great pricing.
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 318-792-1220 (text is great)
[email protected]

Extended Warranty/Service Contacts

Get genuine officially-authorized extended warranty by Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans, products of FCA US LLC (formerly Chrysler Group), at greatly discounted pricing. These two sites have the lowest prices on Extended Warranty/Service Contacts. Buy from them unless you can get your dealer to beat or at least match their price on factory plans.
Chrysler Factory Warranty - Currently forum sponsors - LINK
Zeigler Factory Plans - Usually the lowest price with code PAYINFULL - LINK

The Best Time to Buy Your Ram

This link has advice on when you are likely to get the best price on your new truck. LINK

Rebate vs. lower interest: Which car incentive is right for you?

If you have to choose between lower cost of lower interest. Includes a rebate vs interest calculator. LINK

Percentage off MSRP

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK
Try For More 14% to 15%
Good Discount 16% to 18%
Great Discount 19% to 23%
Amazing Discount 24% or more

Sample Email

Hello,

My name is [name] and I am looking to factory order a new truck this month. I know I can get 1% below factory invoice from any dealership with my affiliate number. I am really looking to get 5 to 8% off now plus any available incentives or rebates when the truck arrives. I will be ordering from the dealership that provides me the lowest price. What is the best you can do for me?

Please provide me with your best detailed out the door price including all fees and please be competitive as I am contacting several dealers.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

Here are some excellent links on how to save the most money.

Surprising tips for car shopping in Internet age LINK
This forums thread "Price negotiated from MSRP" LINK
Five-part investigative series on car buying LINK
Why Invoice is the New MSRP LINK

Another Technique

James Bragg technique (below) for car buying suggests calling but can also be applied to emailing if you prefer.

”¢ First, find the best price offered by dealers on your favorite car-buying website. Get both a price for the car and a detailed “out-the-door” price, including motor vehicle department fees, sales taxes and any dealer charges for documentation, etc. Then keep that number in your hip pocket.

”¢ On the weekend before the last 3, 4 or 5 consecutive weekdays of the month, check dealer inventories online. Many stores list it there. Choose 5 or 6 stores (ideally, but not necessarily, with cars you’d buy if the price were right), even if some are 50 or more miles away. More remote dealers may see you as a sale they’d never make and sell at a better price than they’d offer their neighbors.

”¢ Call their Internet sales managers on the 1st morning if there are 3 consecutive weekdays, the 2nd morning if there are 4, the 3rd if there are 5. Describe the car you want in detail, say you’re ready to buy by month-end, that you’re contacting a limited number of dealers to get price proposals and you’d like to get one from that store. That you need both the price of the car and an itemized out-the-door price (with the details listed above) by phone or email by 11:00 AM the next morning. (Be sure they know your location, so they can figure the sales tax correctly.)

”¢ Say you’ll call all responders that next afternoon, tell them the best out-the-door price and give them one shot at beating it. (It’s none of their business where it came from.) You’re ready to buy, and you want someone to knock your socks off at month-end. But you won’t buy from anyone who doesn’t participate from the beginning.

”¢ The next morning call those you haven’t heard from by 11:00 AM, tell them you have proposals from other dealers and you’re waiting for their response. If any responses have been incomplete, call and ask for the missing info. Call everyone that afternoon with the best out-the-door offer. If the initial o-t-d price from the online car-buying site is the best Round 1 offer, use that price in those calls. (When you’re eliminating the cost of the middleman, that won’t happen often. But it could happen.)

”¢ The store offering the best o-t-d price is the winner. “There will be no third round.” Ask the winner to confirm all the numbers via email because you hate surprises, and say you’re looking forward to giving that store nothing but the highest scores in the questionnaire about how you were treated. Make an appointment to sign the papers and pick up the car. Finally, as a courtesy, call the other dealers to thank them for participating.

Put in your trade in information at Carvana LINK and Vroom LINK to get some sample prices.

Walk Away

Here’s the best part of the “walk away” strategy: if you tell a salesperson or a private seller, “Thanks, but this just isn’t the deal that I’m looking for,” and you leave, they might call you in two hours to say they’ve got a better price.

If you don’t hear from the seller, and you really want the car, you can always call them back and tell them you’ve changed your mind, that you realized it’s a nice car and a pretty good deal, that you’re willing to take it now, etc.. You can do this and know that you’ve negotiated for the best price while also saving face.

My best deal so far on a factory order.
14.3% off MSRP before rebates/incentives
17.0% off MSRP with $2000 rebates/incentives.
18.4% off MSRP with $3000 rebates/incentives.

6.6% off Invoice before rebates/incentives
9.6% off Invoice with $2000 rebates/incentives.
11.0% off Invoice with $3000 rebates/incentives.

I am hoping I can do better than $3000 rebates/incentives when the truck arrives. When rebates/incentives are high we see some people getting 20 to 25% off MSRP. As of this writing the rebates/incentives are not great because of Employee Pricing Plus and 0.0% Financing offers.
This is extremely helpful. I went to the Tread Lightly site and they have memberships as low as $25. Do I need to get the $100 membership to qualify for the special FCA pricing?

ETA: Nevermind, I scrolled farther down the signup page and see that you do have to go in at the $100 level.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an offer for an order (Laramie) that's at 6.5% below invoice (before any rebates/incentives), all in except Tax, Title, License.

Thoughts?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I have an offer for an order (Laramie) that's at 6.5% below invoice (before any rebates/incentives), all in except Tax, Title, License.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good deal. Does this price include any extra non government fees that the dealer is charging, Even mostly honest dealerships will often add "Doc Fees".

Illegitimate Dealer Fees LINK

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is extremely helpful. I went to the Tread Lightly site and they have memberships as low as $25. Do I need to get the $100 membership to qualify for the special FCA pricing?

ETA: Nevermind, I scrolled farther down the signup page and see that you do have to go in at the $100 level.
Yes you do...and I believe you have to wit 30 days before getting a code to use

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. Does this price include any extra non government fees that the dealer is charging, Even mostly honest dealerships will often add "Doc Fees".

Illegitimate Dealer Fees LINK

I have not seen anything on that 6.5% other than the MSRP, Invoice, and then what will be my price. "My price" includes a ~$200 fee. It does NOT include Tax, Title, License. (Nor should it: that way I can keep offers on an apples-to-apples basis.)

(One guy, this is laughable, has a price sheet only showing MSRP, a big "dealer discount" (ignoring my Affiliates Rewards 1% below invoice starting point), and then charges me $800 "pre delivery fee", $200 "electronic registration filing fee", $200 "documentation handling fee", 250 "tag and title transfer fee" AND a higher tax rate (I'll be an out of state buyer). I like the chutzpah. ;) None of those fees are anything I'd pay.)

Of course, as I was typing this, I just got another offer to order at 8.2% below invoice, OTD. Again, not including Tax, Title, License.

Neither offer includes rebates or incentives.

FWIW, 8.2% below invoice is almost $1,000 below the 6.5% below invoice offer. (I have hard numbers: both invoice numbers match each other.)

It's looking like 8.2 beats 6.5. ;)

I'll contact 6.5 guy and tell him he's in number 2 position.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I have not seen anything on that 6.5% other than the MSRP, Invoice, and then what will be my price. "My price" includes a ~$200 fee. It does NOT include Tax, Title, License. (Nor should it: that way I can keep offers on an apples-to-apples basis.)

(One guy, this is laughable, has a price sheet only showing MSRP, a big "dealer discount" (ignoring my Affiliates Rewards 1% below invoice starting point), and then charges me $800 "pre delivery fee", $200 "electronic registration filing fee", $200 "documentation handling fee", 250 "tag and title transfer fee" AND a higher tax rate (I'll be an out of state buyer). I like the chutzpah. ;) None of those fees are anything I'd pay.)

Of course, as I was typing this, I just got another offer to order at 8.2% below invoice, OTD. Again, not including Tax, Title, License.

Neither offer includes rebates or incentives.

FWIW, 8.2% below invoice is almost $1,000 below the 6.5% below invoice offer. (I have hard numbers: both invoice numbers match each other.)

It's looking like 8.2 beats 6.5. ;)

I'll contact 6.5 guy and tell him he's in number 2 position.

Nice! That's how it's done.

U

User_3336

"pre-delivery" fee. What a joke.
Electronic registration here is like $11
To transfer a tag its $17.50
Doc fees here are about $599, but many times it states that fee is included in the online price, so if you negotiate a better price, you get slapped with it on top.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I have actually seen this fee and could not believe they listed it.

"ADM" or "ADP" Fee (Additional Dealer Markup)

"Bogus charges added by greedy dealers. It means "Additional Dealer Markup" or "Additional Dealer Profit," and appears on a sticker next to manufacturer's MSRP sticker. I call it Arrogant Dealer Markup. ADM is an artificial buffer to bargain down the price. If ADM is $1,000 and you talk them down $800, you still paid MSRP plus $200 for the car! If you see this toxic waste, have them nix it. One buyer of a Honda Civic got the dealer to drop a $1,995 ADM!"

U

User_3336

Just like the separate sticker called the "ADDENDUM STICKER". Environmental Package $995 bla bla bla.

I always tell them before I negotiate, NO ADDONS, NO UNDERCOATING, NO FLUFF.

mophead

Reaction score
Prices went up:

Base on a BH Quad 4x4 6.4 up $250, from $40,290 to $40,540
BH Night Edition up $105 from $1995 to $2100

U

User_3336

Prices went up:

Base on a BH Quad 4x4 6.4 up $250, from $40,290 to $40,540
BH Night Edition up $105 from $1995 to $2100
Yeah, they sneak those little price increases in there, and think people don't realize it.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
So, I'm a little confused still. Go figure.

I called FCA Incentives. For a 2020, they told me I'd get the following:

20CL1 $1000
63CL1 $2500
20CA1 $1500
Finance with them $500
Conquest cash 1000
Total: $6500

For a 2021, it would be a little less. There is also no conquest cash:

21CM1 $1500
63LM1 $1000
21LMA1 $500
Finance with them $500
Total: $3500

He said my employer would give me 1% under invoice PLUS these rebates.

Would that mean that I'd get this for 1% under invoice + $6500 off? How do I get the invoice price for this specific vehicle?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Would that mean that I'd get this for 1% under invoice + $6500 off? How do I get the invoice price for this specific vehicle?

Yes you would, if you qualify for all those rebates. Read the first page of this thread for all the information. With varying degrees of work you could get 2-8% below invoice.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

So, I'm a little confused still. Go figure.

I called FCA Incentives. For a 2020, they told me I'd get the following:

20CL1 $1000
63CL1 $2500
20CA1 $1500
Finance with them $500
Conquest cash 1000
Total: $6500

For a 2021, it would be a little less. There is also no conquest cash:

21CM1 $1500
63LM1 $1000
21LMA1 $500
Finance with them $500
Total: $3500

He said my employer would give me 1% under invoice PLUS these rebates.

Well, you'd only get the CONQUEST $1000, if you can prove current ownership of a non-FCA vehicle.
You'd only get the Chrysler Capital $500 if you're financing.
ACTUALLY, there is an employee and supplier FCA program. A supplier gives you 1% below invoice + a program fee. IF you can generate a control #. Only way to get that is if you're employer is eligible. You need your company code.

Silent Bob

Reaction score
ACTUALLY, there is an employee and supplier FCA program. A supplier gives you 1% below invoice + a program fee. IF you can generate a control #. Only way to get that is if you're employer is eligible. You need your company code.
You can also join Access Fund for $50 or Tread Lightly for $100 for the 1% discount.
After joining you are supposed to wait 30 days before you take possession of the vehicle. This works at any dealership.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Well, you'd only get the CONQUEST $1000, if you can prove current ownership of a non-FCA vehicle.
You'd only get the Chrysler Capital $500 if you're financing.
I did get a company code where I can enter in some information to get a control number on the FCA Affiliate site. However invoice on that truck is 57,691.

Less 1% = $57114.09
Less $6500 (I do have a Ford and assume they are competitive with their financing)
$50,614.09

That is more than the dealer list price, although the have a bunch of BS fees that they absolutely won't remove such as VIN etching.

How are folks getting 20% + off? Good old fashioned negotiating, sending offers to multiple dealers, etc?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Here are three spots I signed up on. Don't give out a phone number unless required. Then give out a fake one if you don't want calls.

Click "Mail Me a Brochure" https://www.ramtrucks.com/gab.html
I signed up on the first link a few days ago - I JUST got an email!

But I was supposed to get a code for $1000...correct?

Users who are viewing this thread