5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Get the Best Price on Your New Ram

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
hey guys just picked up my first ram from Aaron at mark dodge. Aaron and the guys there have been great found me a truck that a wanted, setup shipping and all. gave me a great price got close to 19k off of msrp.
What did you end up getting and did you do a build?

Ram Horns Up

Reaction score
I am going to order a Limited because none are available how I want it equipped, seems nobody wants to inventory black, night edition, level 1, trailer controller with Rambox. Rambox is almost non existent in Southern California. I tried negotiating over email with about 5 dealers in Ventura/LA/Santa Barbara Counties and they are all flakes. I will have to walk in and see if anyone wants negotiate. All of the dealers listed as being competitive are nowhere near me, are there any dealers in Southern California that someone can recommend?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck at Cerritos CDJR. They are just northwest of Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland.

I bought off the lot but they were straight shooters with no hidden/required fees.

Last edited:

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Doesn't look good for Feb. Not showing any incentives on Ram.com. Great feeling to watch the truck you want jump over 4k overnight.
Well damn, looks like you are right. What kind of Presidents day sale is that? One reason ordering a build might be a little scary. For those dealers that only accept the rebates that are active once the truck is delivered, that could be a real problem if something like this happened and all the incentives went away.

Last edited:

adboyd06

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, I haven't read the entire thread - how do strategies change if you, the buyer, gets employee pricing?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered, I haven't read the entire thread - how do strategies change if you, the buyer, gets employee pricing?
Employee Pricing is 5% below invoice plus $200. The best dealer discounts are often lower than this. My current best deal is 6.6% below invoice. Keep in mind that these percentages are before rebates/incentives. Some dealers may use Employee Pricing to get you your best discount and some may ignore it.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Employee Pricing is 5% below invoice plus $200. The best dealer discounts are often lower than this. My current best deal is 6.6% below invoice. Keep in mind that these percentages are before rebates/incentives. Some dealers may use Employee Pricing to get you your best discount and some may ignore it.
So, would you consider this a good deal then since it's over 6.6% off invoice? I was holding out for 18% off MSRP, right now I'm at 15.69%.
Rebel
LA
MSRP
$60,860.00​
Invoice
$57,089.00​
Sale Price
$53,313.00​
Rebate
-$2,000.00​
Net Price
$51,313.00​
License Fee
$875.00​
Doc Fee
$219.00​
Total Fees
$1,094.00​
Total Taxes
$4,258.98​
Total Amount
$56,665.98​
%off Inv.
6.61%​
%off MSRP
15.69%​

Silent Bob

Reaction score
So, would you consider this a good deal then since it's over 6.6% off invoice? I was holding out for 18% off MSRP, right now I'm at 15.69%.
Rebel
LA
MSRP
$60,860.00​
Invoice
$57,089.00​
Sale Price
$53,313.00​
Rebate
-$2,000.00​
Net Price
$51,313.00​
License Fee
$875.00​
Doc Fee
$219.00​
Total Fees
$1,094.00​
Total Taxes
$4,258.98​
Total Amount
$56,665.98​
%off Inv.
6.61%​
%off MSRP
15.69%​
Percentage off MSRP

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK
Good Discount 16% to 19%
Great Discount 20% to 24%
Amazing Discount 25% or more

You have to add the doc fee because it is not a required government fee or tax. It is just dealer profit.
$53,313.00
+$219.00
=$53,532
6.23% under invoice
12.04% under MSRP
Add in $2000 in rebates 15.32% under MSRP
That dealer discount is pretty good but see if they can find you some more rebates or "bonus bucks". Did you join PenFed for the $1000 discount? If not do a truck search at the Allstate link provided below and you should receive a code for $500 in 5-14 days. You do need need to have Allstate or make a purchase through Trucar.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Percentage off MSRP

In my opinion you should be getting at least 16% off the MSRP. The total number you should be using to determine your percentage off should include the total (with rebates and incentives) before trade in, taxes, and any required government fees. Your number should include dealer add-ons you did not request and any dealer fees not listed on the factory invoice, document fees, prep fees, etc. You can use one of these two links to find the factory MSRP and invoice price of the truck and all options. LINK LINK
Good Discount 16% to 19%
Great Discount 20% to 24%
Amazing Discount 25% or more

You have to add the doc fee because it is not a required government fee or tax. It is just dealer profit.
$53,313.00
+$219.00
=$53,532
6.23% under invoice
12.04% under MSRP
Add in $2000 in rebates 15.32% under MSRP
That dealer discount is pretty good but see if they can find you some more rebates or "bonus bucks". Did you join PenFed for the $1000 discount? If not do a truck search at the Allstate link provided below and you should receive a code for $500 in 5-14 days. You do need need to have Allstate or make a purchase through Trucar.
So I can do the Allstate thing and get a code for $500. Can I also join PenFed (not sure what that is) and get a $1k discount as well? Do these work for factory builds?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
So I can do the Allstate thing and get a code for $500. Can I also join PenFed (not sure what that is) and get a $1k discount as well? Do these work for factory builds?

The Allstate and PenFed can not be combined. You must be a member of PenFed for 60 days to qualify for the $1000. The Allstate BonusDrive $250 rebate can be added with anything. They do work on factory builds.

Rebates/Cash Incentives

There are other nationwide and local rebates and incentives available in addition to the ones below. For those doing a factory order only the rebates/incentives available when the truck arrives will be applied.

You can often get a rebate ($1500 as of this writing) by going to ramtrucks.com and giving them your email. It is a popup so turn off you ad/popup blocker. If you don't get it try a different device or browser.

BonusDrive $250 Rebate - You or someone in your household must own, lease, or trade in a vehicle that is not a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, or Fiat. You do not need to be an Allstate customer for this - LINK

Membership Incentives

PenFed - $1000 (does not combine with military $500) LINK
Future Farmers of America (FFA) - $500 LINK
SAM's Club (shows up sometime after using their car search) - $500 LINK
More Offers currently including Military Personnel $500, First Responder Personnel $500, and DriveAbility Disability Assistance $1000 LINK
Ram Incentives & Rebates List LINK1 LINK2
USAA no longer offers cash incentives.

You can call FCA Incentives at 1-800-227-0757 to help you figure out which rebates you can use. Helpfulness varies on who you talk to.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Okay just joined PenFed. Says you have to wait 60 days to be able to use the $1000, but at least it's something. Also did the AllState and Geico Truecar thing, so hopefully that generates some discounts. Hopefully they are allowed to be used on factory builds.

You posted as I was writing this, so you answered already. I thought the $1500 popup stopped a while back in early January. I hadn't heard anyone getting it in February. I can definitely wait 60 days to save an additional $1k on my build. If I can get another $1500 that will put me right in line with my budget. Thanks for all your help here and throughout the forum.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay just joined PenFed. Says you have to wait 60 days to be able to use the $1000, but at least it's something. Also did the AllState and Geico Truecar thing, so hopefully that generates some discounts. Hopefully they are allowed to be used on factory builds.

You posted as I was writing this, so you answered already. I thought the $1500 popup stopped a while back in early January. I hadn't heard anyone getting it in February. I can definitely wait 60 days to save an additional $1k on my build. If I can get another $1500 that will put me right in line with my budget. Thanks for all your help here and throughout the forum.
To be honest, your numbers look good already. You can keep digging for more discounts and wait a little longer, but then that truck might disappear by the time you can get those extra discounts.

Right, today, your biggest bargaining chip is your out the door price. Be honest and give them that number. In your case since you are at $56,600, make your out the door price today, $55k...or even $54k. You can put pressure on them right now with that price, then tell them that you are also going to another dealer to look at a similar ram. If they want to stop you from going, they will work with you. Give them a day, or two.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie (leveled with 2" rc struts and 1" rear spacer on 33.5" toyo open country) , 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I have a question. If I order now can I use the PenFed discount when the truck arrives which would be after 60 days or do you have to use it when you place the order?

Silent Bob

Reaction score
I have a question. If I order now can I use the PenFed discount when the truck arrives which would be after 60 days or do you have to use it when you place the order?
Yes, the PenFed would be applied when the truck arrives. If you are ordering a truck you may or may not be able to lock in current national rebates. Ask your dealer.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Yes, the PenFed would be applied when the truck arrives. If you are ordering a truck you may or may not be able to lock in current national rebates. Ask your dealer.
Wow, so should I notify my dealer that I will also have another $1000 off certificate AFTER we negotiate a deal that way it can be applied once it gets here.

My local dealer stated I can use the rebates that are active now or when the truck arrives. Whichever ones are better.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread, but I hope you guys know how to get FCA Affiliate pricing (aka PP price, -1% below factory invoice) and skip all the pain of negotiating with a dealer? You just need to find your employer here and then register with the company code here. All FCA dealers in US are obligated to give you PP price (7-10% lower then sticker price, and all rebates still apply), while they are not obligated to sell you the vehicle (e.g. don't expect to use this offer on in-stock TRX).

UPD: Yes, I see it was already discussed here. My reality is that local FCA dealers due to high demand and low stock don't give any discounts outside standard rebates, to FCA Affiliate pricing is the best option.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread, but I hope you guys know how to get FCA Affiliate pricing (aka PP price, -1% below factory invoice) and skip all the pain of negotiating with a dealer? You just need to find your employer here and then register with the company code here. All FCA dealers in US are obligated to give you PP price (7-10% lower then sticker price, and all rebates still apply), while they are not obligated to sell you the vehicle (e.g. don't expect to use this offer on in-stock TRX).
Yeah but we’re negotiating for more than 15% off sticker price.

Users who are viewing this thread