5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody have a night shot of the mirror for comparison? I ordered a new cable just in case.
Thanks.
I looked and all I have is from day time but I’ll take some tonight and post for you in comparison.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody have a night shot of the mirror for comparison? I ordered a new cable just in case.
Thanks.
These are my pictures I just took it’s kind of hard to capture a car going by when you are going one way and they are going the other but I still think the resolution is great mainly any blurry you see is because I’m driving and they are as well and my phone camera probably isn’t the best lol 😂

Attachments

• AAD57829-09E7-4AA5-9184-63CC2B304F41.jpeg
    AAD57829-09E7-4AA5-9184-63CC2B304F41.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 160
  • B92ED8DA-92F9-4139-B520-A050EB3262E1.jpeg
    B92ED8DA-92F9-4139-B520-A050EB3262E1.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 160
  • A638BE2C-4DA5-426D-8AF7-4D94C2D3F14F.jpeg
    A638BE2C-4DA5-426D-8AF7-4D94C2D3F14F.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 3573852E-CA8F-49F7-88FA-38D7B7A77A78.jpeg
    3573852E-CA8F-49F7-88FA-38D7B7A77A78.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 158

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are my pictures I just took it’s kind of hard to capture a car going by when you are going one way and they are going the other but I still think the resolution is great mainly any blurry you see is because I’m driving and they are as well and my phone camera probably isn’t the best lol 😂
My still pictures are the same. Looks like driving and taking a picture is the same as mine. Just looks out of focus.
Thanks for your reply.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SO, update to this. I installed the new coax cable from Pasternack for $40 and that did not change anything. Ordered a new camera for $95 to see if this will improve, probably not, will see.

Toperz

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Did anyone took apart 3rd break light?
I have f...g water inside light, still works.
Thats why what i think I had wet headliner.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

04yfz

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Did anyone took apart 3rd break light?
I have f...g water inside light, still works.
Thats why what i think I had wet headliner.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Probably just the seal against the cab, you can try new weatherstripping (get epdm) or use butyl.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put mine in and used the clear silicone around the whole thing. I know it's a potential problem area and I use the automatic car wash a lot, and has been an issue in the past until I used the silicone. I know it's a hack, but what you gonna do.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding night time video quality, I actually just made a video on my IG about this. It is one of the questions I’m asked most frequently after installing it. I don’t know, I think it does very well considering what it is. If in an area with decent surrounding lighting (street lights, city lights, etc.) it’s pretty clear in my opinion. I do agree, areas of total darkness, it does become a little less useful, but it is still way better than what my standard mirror was in low light situations. My windows only have 15% window tint, and at night my standard rearview mirror was basically useless. With this, I can still make out the vehicles behind me pretty effortlessly. I do think having additional settings would be a nice touch though!

In all fairness, both of these images came from parking lots. One was in a drive through, and the other I was filming while the traffic behind me on the main road was passing by. It isn’t quite as clear when on a road with less lighting, but again I don’t think it’s terrible by any means.
D40A5FE7-37A8-4EAB-A26C-A6DAC88AEAF2.png
D66CD733-075C-4A35-9101-18397AC38197.jpeg

@MannyN, did the replacement camera make any difference at all for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: ouv

04yfz

Reaction score
Regarding night time video quality, I actually just made a video on my IG about this. It is one of the questions I’m asked most frequently after installing it. I don’t know, I think it does very well considering what it is. If in an area with decent surrounding lighting (street lights, city lights, etc.) it’s pretty clear in my opinion. I do agree, areas of total darkness, it does become a little less useful, but it is still way better than what my standard mirror was in low light situations. My windows only have 15% window tint, and at night my standard rearview mirror was basically useless. With this, I can still make out the vehicles behind me pretty effortlessly. I do think having additional settings would be a nice touch though!

In all fairness, both of these images came from parking lots. One was in a drive through, and the other I was filming while the traffic behind me on the main road was passing by. It isn’t quite as clear when on a road with less lighting, but again I don’t think it’s terrible by any means.
View attachment 155630
View attachment 155631

That quality is impressive to me, I’m sure it also looks slightly better with the eye than in a pic.

Do you have 15% tint on top of the factory tint on the rear glass?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That quality is impressive to me, I’m sure it also looks slightly better with the eye than in a pic.

Do you have 15% tint on top of the factory tint on the rear glass?
I do. 15% on all sides and rear glass. Air80 film on the windshield.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this might be my favorite add on so far. I really like having the full view, stead of looking at my black bars in my back window and the rear seat headrests. much better visibility. Thanks @Jimmy07 for the custom BCM harness for my 2019 truck.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 155630
View attachment 155631

Na, new camera did not change anything. Still the same blury at night.
So, I have a new camera for sale.

tac63

Reaction score
Can anyone say if the 2019s with dimming side mirrors lose that function when doing this swap? I read through all the thread about the 21+ but if I do the brake light, harness, cable, and 2nd bcm, am I able to retain the side mirror dimming on my 2019?

RamDealer

Reaction score
So i just installed drvm an 3 brake light with camera on a 2022 laramie night edition an it was straight plug an play no need to change settings with alfaobd

Whois502

Reaction score
Can anyone say if the 2019s with dimming side mirrors lose that function when doing this swap? I read through all the thread about the 21+ but if I do the brake light, harness, cable, and 2nd bcm, am I able to retain the side mirror dimming on my 2019?

Enable these settings with alfaobd:

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO
CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES

Then the auto dimming should work again.

I took this from the night edition thread. So credit goes to someone else who helped those of us out who did the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ouv

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Enable these settings with alfaobd:

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO
CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES

Then the auto dimming should work again.

I took this from the night edition thread. So credit goes to someone else who helped those of us out who did the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't work on 2019/2020.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, you will not have dimming side mirrors on the 2019/2020. I'll add this.

Users who are viewing this thread