5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waiting for my tablet to come in didn’t have anything where I could get Alfa so it says it will be here Monday and once I get it I’ll send info over to Jimmy and see if he can see what’s going on. Still getting the error code after trying lots of things in JScan and setting everything back but nothing is working. I’ll give an update on here after I get my tablet and Alfa tomorrow (if no shipping errors).
Did you check this setting? I changed this too.

Interior Electrochromic Mirror Present: No

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you check this setting? I changed this too.

Interior Electrochromic Mirror Present: No
In JScan all I have is Passenger and Driver not interior. And my tablet is now coming Thursday of course just to update everyone that is curious.

coolblue24

Reaction score
Looking for some help or advice on what to do. I have a 2022 1500 Limited with all the safety options and the DRVM. I have a topper on my truck so I had a factory camera (same as what is in the 3rd brake light) mounted in a housing on the back of the topper. Ran a fakra cable from that location down through the topper, down underneath the box, along the frame, back up into the cab and up to the 3rd brake light on the inside. Unplugged the cable from the 3rd brake light and into this extension cable. Problem that I am having is that it periodically loses the signal and I have to turn off the digital mirror and turn it back on to get the picture back. I had a local audio shop do the install. They are saying this is happening because the extension cable is too long to transfer power to the camera and signal back to the mirror. This caused my first mirror to fail. Luckily I was able to get the mirror replaced under warranty. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you resolve it?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some help or advice on what to do. I have a 2022 1500 Limited with all the safety options and the DRVM. I have a topper on my truck so I had a factory camera (same as what is in the 3rd brake light) mounted in a housing on the back of the topper. Ran a fakra cable from that location down through the topper, down underneath the box, along the frame, back up into the cab and up to the 3rd brake light on the inside. Unplugged the cable from the 3rd brake light and into this extension cable. Problem that I am having is that it periodically loses the signal and I have to turn off the digital mirror and turn it back on to get the picture back. I had a local audio shop do the install. They are saying this is happening because the extension cable is too long to transfer power to the camera and signal back to the mirror. This caused my first mirror to fail. Luckily I was able to get the mirror replaced under warranty. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you resolve it?
Use RG58 coax cable for longer runs to the camera.

Ram2134

Reaction score
Brother…Run the cable along the driver side weatherstripping and trim, and then use a tool to push it up in the rear near the third brake light. From there, with the third brake light removed you will be able to see the cable.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the tablet and we are trying to figure it out will keep those of you interested informed

coolblue24

Reaction score
Use RG58 coax cable for longer runs to the camera.

Would you suggest using RG58 cable from the mirror to the back of the topper or just from the third brake light and leaving the stock cable from third brake light to mirror? Do you know what type of cable Ram uses from mirror to third brake light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright to all of those who have installed the digital rear view mirror and lost auto dim for 2021+ vehicles only these are the configurations you need to use to get Auto Dimming back and the soft key to work again. Thanks to the help of @Jimmy07 we were able to find the following to get it back.

So, again for 2021+ owners who swapped in the digital rear view mirror, you need to change the following configurations in AlfaOBD and the auto dim feature will work.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Alright to all of those who have installed the digital rear view mirror and lost auto dim for 2021+ vehicles only these are the configurations you need to use to get Auto Dimming back and the soft key to work again. Thanks to the help of @Jimmy07 we were able to find the following to get it back.

So, again for 2021+ owners who swapped in the digital rear view mirror, you need to change the following configurations in AlfaOBD and the auto dim feature will work.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
Thank you. I added this to the first post.

Toperz

Reaction score
Thank you. I added this to the first post.
How about this feature? On or off?
555429ecf9b7214dfbd06fba79d7749f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

mgoodness

Reaction score
Thanks for the work here! I have a 2022 Rebel with the single-input DRVM already, and was going to pull the camera out of the CHMSL and relocate it to my SmartCap. But now my plan is to pick up a 68519222AA (dual-input) and add a second camera instead. No auto-dimming side mirrors (because I stupidly got all the towing stuff for a trailer I may never buy), so sounds like it should be fairly smooth.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you switch inputs? Button on mirror?

There's a lot more information in this thread.

This post has pics of the two-channel mirror. There are buttons on the mirror to change inputs.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I did the install this weekend and must say that I'm disappointed for what you get for the money. The mirror works great at daylight but not so much at night. Also there are some adjustments missing, like saturation, color and contrast. You only get brightness and up/down adjustments. At night, the mirror looks out of focus.

Mirror1.jpg Mirror2.jpg

Reactions: SWT

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I did the install this weekend and must say that I'm disappointed for what you get for the money. The mirror works great at daylight but not so much at night. Also there are some adjustments missing, like saturation, color and contrast. You only get brightness and up/down adjustments. At night, the mirror looks out of focus.

View attachment 154456 View attachment 154457
Weird, mine looks good a night.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine looks clear at night and has good resolution like it does during day. That’s very odd! Even when my auto dimming comes on it still looks good no significant change just dims bright lights behind me.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine is better than I expected at night. It is just a camera though, so the resolution won't be as good as your eyes' view.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody have a night shot of the mirror for comparison? I ordered a new cable just in case.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread