5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Paco

Reaction score
I am going to install my ACC on Friday.

Quick question: Can I do it in 2 stages???
Can I do my steering wheel switch on Thursday, then do my HCU/ABS on Friday???.

Is it still drivable????
Or will I need to do everything on the same day.???

Thanks for any help.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am going to install my ACC on Friday.

Quick question: Can I do it in 2 stages???
Can I do my steering wheel switch on Thursday, then do my HCU/ABS on Friday???.

Is it still drivable????
Or will I need to do everything on the same day.???

Thanks for any help.
Yes, you can do it in stages.

Paco

Reaction score
Installed ACC with a used module I got from ebay. Works great, but still need to do 1 more bleed to allow parking brake to grab better. Easiest part was swapping out steering column switch and also HCU was really easy also. Can't believe it was worried about the install after reading how tough they could be. Found a few shortcuts,that I'll post pictures of tomorrow. Wish I had know about some of my issues before I had started. But all is good. Really impressed with how well the system works. Thanks for all the info that wad posted. Would Not be able to program without it. Difficult to install New ABS MODULE and Steering column switch. 2 out of 5. Hope that helps anyone sitting on the fence.

Paco

Reaction score
Things i did for ACC/HCU install that helped or would have.
1. You got to wash the area your working in. Pop the hood and wash around the HCU etc.( If you get any grit in your ACC/brake lines your fcked).
Pop the hood looking at the truck from the front, on the right side of the fan shroud , theres the HCU wash it.

2. Pick up caps for the lines, so you dont get grit on the threads, and it also stops fluid from coming out while your working on it.
This is what I used. The red caps work for the 4 lines on top, The Blue caps work for the other 2 lines coming out the side.
I took a picture of how much fluid I lost swapping the ACC/HCU over.
Pull a line put a cap on it, keep moving.( also as your pulling lines and putting caps on, take the red plugs you removed earlier and put them in the HCU your pulling out.
(Its going to help later).
3.If your donor HCU has Red caps covering the holes, you need to remove or loosen before you install.
They are hard enough to remove when not installed, but really hard if you wait till you get it onto the truck.
My Suggestion: Remove all the Red caps before installing HCU, just put a small piece of tape over each port,(which will be easy to remove as you do each line).
Or loose a extra 1/2 hour by not doing it, leaning over the engine bay. Your Choice.
After I changed out my HCU/ACC you can see in the picture how little fluid actually got lost.

4. If you have never worked on these type of break lines, you could get in a lot of trouble cross threading.
Im 65 years old and what I found always works is to:
put the line over the hole your going to put it into.
If it feels like you have to pull or push it over the whole, then you need to take that pressure off before trying to start the treads.
Now is the part that will make this so easy: Wiggle the line back and forth a few millimeters as you are trying to start the treads.
Do this with your fingers no wrenches,, as you wiggle it and turn it by hand you will be able to get the treads started really easily.
Because you are trying to thread it by using just your finger force, you wont be able to cross thread the line, plus as you wiggle it back and forth ever so slightly it will find the treaded hole so much easier.
5. My biggest worry and reason I did not do sooner, was I thought accessibility for removing HCU was going to be a *****.
Once you pop the hood and wash the old HCU, you will see how easy it is to work on.
Th 3 mounting bolts I believe are 13MM , 2 can be reached easily from drivers wheel well. other from underneath.
The 6 lines going to the HCU and the electrical connector are best accessed ( for me anyway) from the top of the motor.( I used a small ladder to stand on when possible).
6. Remember to undo the Red clip on the harness before pulling on the white lever. ( I let it hang when I was working, as the are was nice and clean so I felt it was fine, just putting it slightly out of the way. If I had a zip tie it would have helped.
7. I pulled the HCU out of the top of the motor where I was working, its going to be hard to wiggle around the wires and everything.(But your going to be glad you put the Red plugs back in the old HCU, cause you wont have brake fluid everywhere.

Sorry for the long write up, but after reading and re-reading the 60 pages, I did not find a lot of helpful information to help with what I have posted.
Anyway took less than a couple hours taking my time swapping out the old to new HCU.
The programming of the New ACC system and bleeding breaks was a bit of a **** show.
But reading the install guide, and the other guide on installing a Used HCU and it all worked.
Love the Stop and Go.
Thanks to all those that made these mods possible. Jimmy etc.

Attachments

• Bleed 2.jpg
    Bleed 2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 64
  • Bleed 1.jpg
    Bleed 1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 63

2DIRTYKIDS

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: ACC Guide Full (3).pdf
Wow, not looking to do this upgrade but your detailed PDF is amazing. I have to remind myself that I only drive my truck 12 miles each way to work and home and can't justify it.

furialfil

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I recently purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie w/o Adaptive cruise control. The truck does have the, Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus, Advanced, Automatic High–Beam Headlamp–Control Brake–Assist, Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection, Advanced Brake–Assist, ParkSense Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop.
I have been reading around the forum, there is a lot of information and it can get a bit overwhelming so I just wanted to ask if is possible to install and activate the ACC on my Truck since looks like I have some of the required modules. Any help will very much appreciated.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I recently purchased a 2024 Ram 1500 Laramie w/o Adaptive cruise control. The truck does have the, Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus, Advanced, Automatic High–Beam Headlamp–Control Brake–Assist, Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection, Advanced Brake–Assist, ParkSense Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop.
I have been reading around the forum, there is a lot of information and it can get a bit overwhelming so I just wanted to ask if is possible to install and activate the ACC on my Truck since looks like I have some of the required modules. Any help will very much appreciated.
This thread has all the information you need. You just have to read it. TLDR version: you need the ACC steering wheel button, the ABS/HCU, and programming.

jburke90

Reaction score
So I am getting a 2022 Ram 1500 Quad which only has the 5 inch screen and virtually none of the safety features. I am curious if this guide would likely work for it? I've seen some conflicting info on just upgrading the center screen so I thought I would just ask directly knowing it will probably seem like a stupid question to many.

Ming

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.

Additional download link: ACC Guide Full (3).pdf
Hi, I'm wondering if I already have lane keep assist and emergency brakes in my 2022 ram 1500 bighorn, I wanna add acc, what parts should I buy? Or I can only install the acc switch and that it is?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if I already have lane keep assist and emergency brakes in my 2022 ram 1500 bighorn, I wanna add acc, what parts should I buy? Or I can only install the acc switch and that it is?
You can find all the info in this thread. Even a few posts up this was answered. But only you can tell us if you have FCW+. I believe that it only comes standard on 2023+ vehicles now.

Ming

Reaction score
You can find all the info in this thread. Even a few posts up this was answered. But only you can tell us if you have FCW+. I believe that it only comes standard on 2023+ vehicles now.
Thank you bro! I thought my truck has everything except the switch button and stop/go sensor🥲 I wish I can figure out but I don't have the alfarOBD experience and not too much modification experience, if only u were here😭 Wish u have a wonderful day.

St-na

Reaction score
Thank you bro! I thought my truck has everything except the switch button and stop/go sensor🥲 I wish I can figure out but I don't have the alfarOBD experience and not too much modification experience, if only u were here😭 Wish u have a wonderful day.
Most of us had not modification and alfaOBD experience, that's why this thread was developed. Read first 3 posts, do not read all 56 pages! Use search button for specific questions related to 23/24' models with uconnect 5.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thank you bro! I thought my truck has everything except the switch button and stop/go sensor🥲 I wish I can figure out but I don't have the alfarOBD experience and not too much modification experience, if only u were here Wish u have a wonderful day.
The easiest way to tell is the windshield. There are examples on here how to tell just by that. Looking at the truck from the front, you should be able to see the location at the top of the windshield. Also, in your Uconnect settings, there will be a setting for it.

f_martinek

Reaction score
Alright I've been searching all day to try to figure out which center stack I need in order to finish the ACC and LKA.
2022 Laramie ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, 8.4 without NAV. no front or rear park sensors
I don't care if there is an extra button that doesn't do anything I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right part.
I don't have any interest in upgrading to the 12" screen or to the 8.4" NAV

Here's the 3 part numbers I came up with but wasn't sure.
2022 Ram 1500 Center stack, center stack controls. Lower - 68340288AC | Mopar Parts Overstock, Lakeland FL

2022 Ram 1500 Center stack, center stack controls. Lower - 68340288AD | Mopar Parts Overstock, Lakeland FL

2022 Ram 1500 Center stack, center stack controls. Lower - 68421874AB | Mopar Parts Overstock, Lakeland FL

View attachment 163404 View attachment 163405
Which part number did you ultimately order? I have a 2021 Laramie with all the same options except I have NAV (shouldn't make a difference in the center stack part). I can't tell which part to order based on the pictures or descriptions on Mopar Parts Overstock. My trim around the screen is glossy if that makes a difference but if I have to lose the glossy finish to get the LKA button and not go through all the work to put in the 12" display I'm fine with that.

mahnkal

Reaction score
Has anyone used JSCAN to add the ACC? or does just alpha OBD work. my truck has everything but ACC and Rain sense, so it looks like I just need the ACU ABS and the button, but the big question is if I need alpha of if my JSCAN will work

vincentw56

Reaction score
Has anyone used JSCAN to add the ACC? or does just alpha OBD work. my truck has everything but ACC and Rain sense, so it looks like I just need the ACU ABS and the button, but the big question is if I need alpha of if my JSCAN will work
I haven't heard of anybody using JSCAN. But as long as it can access all the settings, you would be fine. I don't have experience with it to know if it has those settings or not.

mahnkal

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like there are a majority of them, hard part is they're not all named the same thing, but im also not sure about the ABS initialization part.

Users who are viewing this thread