5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Before changing ABS and HCU did u guys put truck in brake service mode?
And did u disconnect battery?(assuming yes).

tdb0021

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I did disconnect battery, did not but in brake service mode. I think service mode is more for calipers and pads rather than what you're doing.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys.

No need for service mode as others have mentioned.

I will say to make sure you do not have the parking brake engaged when you begin. I forgot I had mine set and it took me a little bit to reinitialize the system as it couldn’t seem to figure out what position they were in and would not release. Thought the truck was gonna be stuck sideways in the garage overnight until I figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bessy

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks to all that have put in a lot of time and effort to making the ACC possible. I have ready every page and I think the one question that hasn’t been asked is can a used parts be used for the HCU and ABS control unit?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks to all that have put in a lot of time and effort to making the ACC possible. I have ready every page and I think the one question that hasn’t been asked is can a used parts be used for the HCU and ABS control unit?
It's been discussed and the answer is no. At least for the ABS module.

Bessy

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought that’s was just for the DASM. Used parts are so much cheaper. I’m in Canada and it’s $900 for the parts new.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know the DASM has to be a virgin, but is there specifically someone here that tried with a used 5th gen abs module and failed? I’ve swapped in many used ABS modules on the 4th gens and 2019+ HD rams, and all that’s needed is re-initialization.

Bessy

Reaction score
I know the DASM has to be a virgin, but is there specifically someone here that tried with a used 5th gen abs module and failed? I’ve swapped in many used ABS modules on the 4th gens and 2019+ HD rams, and all that’s needed is re-
Thanks for the input. It took me 5 hours to read though the thread. It’s getting crazy long.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It took me 5 hours to read though the thread. It’s getting crazy long.
I never tried used HCU or ABS Modules, I just assumed they needed to be new based on what I’ve read regarding other vehicles. The ABS and HCU are fairly cheap in my opinion, so it was a pretty easy call to just buy new and not worry about it. I didn’t want to buy used and fall deeper into the hole.

MikeTho

Reaction score
Hi there! Just registered but have been pretty much memorizing this thread for the last month. I want to thank everyone who did all of the trial and error and whomever wrote up the great instructions. I have a 21 Laramie Limited Longhorn or whatever it is with the FCW+. I was able to swap out the ABS module and HCU, clear all of the codes and enable the ACC tonight after work. I took it for a spin and it worked flawlessly.

In the write up on the first page, the author mentioned he had trouble clearing the parking brake error, I did the assembly check routine and the parking brake engaged/released and the code cleared. Hopefully that helps someone in the future!

tdb0021

Reaction score
Hi there! Just registered but have been pretty much memorizing this thread for the last month. I want to thank everyone who did all of the trial and error and whomever wrote up the great instructions. I have a 21 Laramie Limited Longhorn or whatever it is with the FCW+. I was able to swap out the ABS module and HCU, clear all of the codes and enable the ACC tonight after work. I took it for a spin and it worked flawlessly.

In the write up on the first page, the author mentioned he had trouble clearing the parking brake error, I did the assembly check routine and the parking brake engaged/released and the code cleared. Hopefully that helps someone in the future!
Awesome. Glad this worked out with ease for you. Your work on the front end reading through this thread definitely paid off!

St-na

Reaction score

Great job! @konon was the one, who made discovery on page 31 about assembly check routine for clearing the code. @tdb0021 , what do You think about an idea to add this info to the reserved section 3, also would be nice to mention there, that all necessary information for mod. was collected and updated in the first 3 section. Newcomers do not need to read all 37 pages or ask same questions over and over again. This would help them a lot. Thank You!

tdb0021

Reaction score
Great job! @konon was the one, who made discovery on page 31 about assembly check routine for clearing the code. @tdb0021 , what do You think about an idea to add this info to the reserved section 3, also would be nice to mention there, that all necessary information for mod. was collected and updated in the first 3 section. Newcomers do not need to read all 37 pages or ask same questions over and over again. This would help them a lot. Thank You!
I have updated the reserved section to include the information on clearing the parking brake code

MikeTho

Reaction score
Hi, me again! So I’ve gone a little crazy with this stuff… I changed out the center screen to the unit with the lane assist button and enabled that feature. Now I’ve got an extra button for the auto park or whatever FCA calls it and might as well make that my next project. I’ve ordered all of the parts I believe I’ll need but the information on the front sensors is a bit ambiguous. I already have 6 sensors on the front but it’s my understanding two of them need to be replaced with a more advanced sensor, but I’m unsure which two. I was assuming it was the two that face sideways but I see that the part is labeled as an inboard sensor. If someone could tell me exactly which two I’m swapping out, I’ll be forever in your debt.

Thanks!

Attachments

• B97EA348-B35B-4F58-85EE-76F6E82093EF.jpeg
    B97EA348-B35B-4F58-85EE-76F6E82093EF.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 33

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've added in the back bumper corners(if u have 4 in the back).

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, me again! So I’ve gone a little crazy with this stuff… I changed out the center screen to the unit with the lane assist button and enabled that feature. Now I’ve got an extra button for the auto park or whatever FCA calls it and might as well make that my next project. I’ve ordered all of the parts I believe I’ll need but the information on the front sensors is a bit ambiguous. I already have 6 sensors on the front but it’s my understanding two of them need to be replaced with a more advanced sensor, but I’m unsure which two. I was assuming it was the two that face sideways but I see that the part is labeled as an inboard sensor. If someone could tell me exactly which two I’m swapping out, I’ll be forever in your debt.

Thanks!
Inboard is the front, outboard is the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread