5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

ar2186

Reaction score
Put a big box a few feet behind your truck and try to back into it. Even if you hit it, it won't hurt your truck. It should slam on the brakes.

I just tried it on some cones - really weird behavior as I finally got it to work. First time it hit the cones but braked, the second it didn't hit them. If my foot was on the brake, it wouldn't do it - which I guess is good but also inconsistent with the behavior on my 2017 Grand Cherokee (which activated if it thought you were going to hit something in reverse, regardless of where your foot was)

Thanks for the suggestion

rizman22

Reaction score
Did you change out the abs module and HCU?
No I did not, I’ll need to have that changed professionally do you the part numbers I will need. Can I add lane sense with new screen and programming as well. Does that use the camera like the auto high beams I was able to enable.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No I did not, I’ll need to have that changed professionally do you the part numbers I will need. Can I add lane sense with new screen and programming as well. Does that use the camera like the auto high beams I was able to enable.
Yes, same camera and yes, you need the new screen.

St-na

Reaction score
There are first 2 posts on page 1 with pdf attachments, all information is there

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally ordered the HCU and hoping to tackle the ACC in the next day or two.

@Jimmy07, can you think of any reason the ABS module I ordered way back to test out wouldn’t work with the new HCU since I did have it installed in the truck for a day or so with the incompatible HCU? I wouldn’t think there’d be an issue, but you know more about all these modules than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdb0021

Reaction score
Finally ordered the HCU and hoping to tackle the ACC in the next day or two.

@Jimmy07, can you think of any reason the ABS module I ordered way back to test out wouldn’t work with the new HCU since I did have it installed in the truck for a day or so with the incompatible HCU? I wouldn’t think there’d be an issue, but you know more about all these modules than me.

Assuming that module is the correct one for ACC, and as long as the module wasn’t installed on another truck (different vin) then there won’t be an issue. I did the same thing. I attempted the ABS module before swapping the HCU. Ordered the HCU a few weeks later.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Assuming that module is the correct one for ACC, and as long as the module wasn’t installed on another truck (different vin) then there won’t be an issue. I did the same thing. I attempted the ABS module before swapping the HCU. Ordered the HCU a few weeks later.

Forgot to tag you in my post, realized after the fact you probably had the answer from your testing as well. That’s what I was thinking about the vin. It was a new unit and only installed on my truck that day I tested it. Thanks for confirming.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the parts installed tonight and ACC functions as intended. After a few frustrating moments thinking the truck was going to be stuck sideways in the garage overnight, I was able to get things figured out and cleared all codes and lights. The parking brake would not release at first, I'm guessing maybe because it was set when I disconnected power and did all the bleeding. After initializing it, I was able to get it to cycle as it should.

Thanks again to @tdb0021 and all the rest of you that have contributed to this. I got sidetracked after my initial attempts seeing what might work, but you all got it figured out for everyone.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my window sticker:
"Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus"

My truck has this and a handful of other safety goodies. Assuming this means I can add ACC for about $600 and a little bit of effort, I'm thinking about giving it a go.

What are the downsides of doing this?
I'm also assuming it's recommended to not use ACC while towing?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my window sticker:
"Full–Speed Forward–Collision Warning Plus"

My truck has this and a handful of other safety goodies. Assuming this means I can add ACC for about $600 and a little bit of effort, I'm thinking about giving it a go.

What are the downsides of doing this?
I'm also assuming it's recommended to not use ACC while towing?

If you already have the FCW+, you should just need to swap the ABS module, HCU, and add the switch. Plus the changes using AlfaOBD.

Only downside I see with adding this if it didn’t come from the factory, assuming the install was done properly, would be warranty coverage related to brakes if they could prove what you did caused an issue. If a service department did a vehicle config restore for whatever reason for something else it would make stuff unhappy until you went back in and redid the changes in the BCM; but that’s a simple fix.

As far as towing…I’ve used regular cruise while towing plenty without issues, don’t see why this would be much different. Just stay aware of your surroundings and disengage as conditions warrant.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you already have the FCW+, you should just need to swap the ABS module, HCU, and add the switch. Plus the changes using AlfaOBD.

Only downside I see with adding this if it didn’t come from the factory, assuming the install was done properly, would be warranty coverage related to brakes if they could prove what you did caused an issue. If a service department did a vehicle config restore for whatever reason for something else it would make stuff unhappy until you went back in and redid the changes in the BCM; but that’s a simple fix.

As far as towing…I’ve used regular cruise while towing plenty without issues, don’t see why this would be much different. Just stay aware of your surroundings and disengage as conditions warrant.

Appreciate the info. I also used the regular cruise control without issue.

Wonder if the dealer would add this to avoid those issues. A minor inconvenience, I know, but after the gremlins I dealt with in my last truck I'm cautious about modifying this one.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I also used the regular cruise control without issue.

Wonder if the dealer would add this to avoid those issues. A minor inconvenience, I know, but after the gremlins I dealt with in my last truck I'm cautious about modifying this one.

Pretty much 0% chance of a dealer doing it. They don’t even have the ability to make the needed changes in the bcm to make it actually work. They won’t do stuff that isn’t tied to your vin, or available as an official Mopar accessory.

It actually took me longer to bleed the brakes and make the changes in alfa than to swap the actual parts. Having a second person to work the brakes while you open the bleed screws makes it pretty easy.

Pulling the driver’s side wheel and wheel well liner makes changing the parts out really easy with just a few tools.

St-na

Reaction score
I did bleed the brakes myself, without any help. Just make sure that the hose is going deep enough to the brake fluid in the bottle, to avoid air sucking back to the system.

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
Thanks for all information, I check tomorrow on my truck rebel 2021 with FCC . I would like line assist and maybe parking assistance

St-na

Reaction score
Only Lane assist is absolutely useless on our trucks, parking assist I used 2 times only, including test. ACC is in use every single day in combination with comma 3.

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
Only Lane assist is absolutely useless on our trucks, parking assist I used 2 times only, including test. ACC is in use every single day in combination with comma 3.
But the lane assistance don’t work ? Only show the lane or also keep the steering wheel in the lanes ?

rlmich

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the forum but wanted to jump in on this conversation. I bought a 1500 limited last week that did not have ACC as there just wasn't one available at the time that had it as an option (slim pickins around here). The dealer that sold me the vehicle did everything they could working through ram to get it added but there just isn't a way for them to do it. The svc manager felt my pain as he said it would be incredible easy and quick to swap the parts but ram has not provided them with an option package to add it. And he said he was informed that making the switch would void the warranty. All that being said, I wanted to see if ANYONE has had any luck getting assistance from a dealer in doing this. The svc mgr said he would gladly talk to another dealer that was able to do it and work to get it done for me. Fingers crossed someone out there has had luck with dealer support....

St-na

Reaction score
There is no way for dealer to do it, nobody ever had a luck to get it installed by dealer. This question has been asked at least 10 times in the thread, reply was always the same "no way".

Users who are viewing this thread