5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

Panic

Reaction score
Your calibration issue with the front camera is indeed because of the bull bar. I'd just remove it and calibrate it. You can also have someone else calibrate in their vehicle. It might be slightly off, but probably not enough to mess with anything. Others have bought used CVPM and used the calibration already on it.
Thanks, any idea why it crashes after successful calibration and goes to blue screen and then normal screen. How would I know that calibration is stored in the system? By the way I use security bypass.

knightro84

Reaction score
I just successfully calibrated my CVPM after upgrading from UC4 to UC5 in my 2019. I had to get a 22+ CVPM to play nicely with the UC5 so I bought a new one and had to calibrate it via AlfaOBD. All of the info in this thread, plus a couple of assists from Jimmy07 and I finally got it done after 2 days. A couple of pointers (most of this is already elsewhere in this thread) that helped me out:

- The front camera was the hardest for me to get calibrated. I was able to get it done on the road in front of my house, which is unmarked (just a residential street in a neighborhood so no center line and no side lines). When doing the front camera, go as slow as the test will allow (basically idle at 2-3 mph). Make sure you're rolling before start the test. Also shadows seem to affect it, so try and do it in a clear area with uniform light.
- The right, left, and rear cameras seem to do better in a parking lot with lines/stripes on the road. I tried endlessly yesterday to get these cameras calibrated on my street but gave up after about an hour of trying. Today I went to a parking lot that had both a center line and parking spots (see image) and the right, left, and rear cameras all calibrated first try. For the right and left cameras, I used the center line to calibrate those, and for the rear I straddled the center line. I couldn't get the front camera to calibrate here because there were a lot of shadows. I noticed every single time I went from a shaded area into a sunny area the test would fail.
- I'm 99% sure the CVPM will hold successful calibrations until/unless you run another calibration on that camera. This morning I calibrated the right/left/rear cameras first then drove home and calibrated the front on my street.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 121608.png

In AflaOBD (android version) my procedure was: connect to the CVPM, read faults, clear faults, disconnect, reconnect, read faults, clear faults, then run the calibration on each camera individually. SGW bypass was in the truck. The slower the better, the front did 2-3 mph and the sides/rear I kept it at or below 5 mph.

Side note: if anyone is looking to add the surround view to their UC4 system, I have the stock CVPM from my truck (P/N 68318033AG) available for sale, already calibrated!

Last edited:

truckman

Reaction score
I also just finished the installation thanks to a last-minute assist from @Jimmy07
Agreed with @knightro84 , to calibrate the front camera you need to drive really, really slowly for it to take. Also I'm pretty sure the environment matters since I failed to calibrate any of the cameras at night even with fairly decent streetlighting.

If you're a dumb-dumb like me and just go buy the first-page list and get a 16.5 ft male-to-female FAKRA cable without the harness, you can just get the smallest possible female-to-female FAKRA cable so that you can plug it into a CVPM.

This was my first-ever car modification and I'm fairly pleased with the results. The hardest part was interestingly just having enough confidence to yank the door panels off without fear of breaking clips.

UncleLemon

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this with any aftermarket cameras such as this one from ebay. I know with aftermarket stuff YMMV and it's probably best to go with OEM but just curious if anyone has tried them.

Panic

Reaction score
Does anyone know if sideview mirrors are replaced should recalibration be done again?

truckman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if sideview mirrors are replaced should recalibration be done again?
Should not require recalibration as the calibration is tied to the CVPM. This assumes you're doing a like for like replacement (i.e., non-tow mirrors with non-tow mirrors, etc.)

edehosse

Reaction score
Gathering up the parts for this to attempt sometime soon. Quick question for those that added side cameras by drilling their existing housings: How did you end up routing the camera cable through the mirror housing? Is there enough room to sneak the connector through the pivot without removing the existing harness wires?

Eric

knightro84

Reaction score
Gathering up the parts for this to attempt sometime soon. Quick question for those that added side cameras by drilling their existing housings: How did you end up routing the camera cable through the mirror housing? Is there enough room to sneak the connector through the pivot without removing the existing harness wires?

Eric

If you're still looking for a CVPM/surround module, I have one from my 2019 for sale currently.

billybaloneey

Reaction score

Eric
I did it...it is a pain...you have to virtually disassemble the whole mirror to snake the Fakra cable. I used a large rigid zip tie as a fish tape...you'll pull a little, then adjust/move the existing cable bundle, then repeat the process several times till the Fakra connector is pulled through.

edehosse

Reaction score
I did it...it is a pain...you have to virtually disassemble the whole mirror to snake the Fakra cable. I used a large rigid zip tie as a fish tape...you'll pull a little, then adjust/move the existing cable bundle, then repeat the process several times till the Fakra connector is pulled through.
Thanks for the info. Figured it wasn't gonna be easy, but I'm too cheap to buy new mirrors with cameras... :)

hammersfd

Reaction score
Would anyone know the part number for the correct tailgate handle with the LED light, that's found on the limited? Just realized the part# listed here doesn't have it.

billybaloneey

Reaction score
Would anyone know the part number for the correct tailgate handle with the LED light, that's found on the limited? Just realized the part# listed here doesn't have it.
The LED light is easy to move from one handle to the other...if no one replies with a part number.

knightro84

Reaction score
The part number depends on what options your truck has and what color you're looking for. If your truck does not have the multi-function tailgate but does have the surround view camera system, the part number is 7KJ43XXXAA where the XXX should be replaced with your paint code.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really? Doesn't look like theres a slot for the light on the new handle I ordered, I'll look again. Thank you.
Like knightro84 was saying, need to know paint color, multifunction tailgate or not, full body color handle, or body color with chrome.
The first “X” knightro84 mentioned will not necessarily be the first letter of the 3 letter paint code, but the last two “X’s” will always be the last two letters of the paint code.

hammersfd

Reaction score
Like knightro84 was saying, need to know paint color, multifunction tailgate or not, full body color handle, or body color with chrome.
The first “X” knightro84 mentioned will not necessarily be the first letter of the 3 letter paint code, but the last two “X’s” will always be the last two letters of the paint code.
It's a standard tailgate on a limited night edition, so it would be the black full body color version. So I believe 7KJ43KXJAA may be it?

edehosse

Reaction score
Hey all - Another quick question - One of the used cameras I picked up for my project has a decent rock chip/scratch in the center. Has anyone had success polishing the camera lens to remove defects?

EDIT: For those interested, it's glass and can't be polished/repaired. Thankfully eBay seller had a good return policy...(y)

Last edited:

hammersfd

Reaction score
Finally got around to starting this project, got the mirrors, cables, and CVPM in. When installing the CVPM, I noticed there is a green female FAKRA connector sitting right there, not connected to anything. Is it possible the front camera is pre wired on the Limiteds? I haven't taken the grill off yet to see if there is an end there.

Users who are viewing this thread