5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

edehosse

Reaction score
I see on a lot of the posts about calibration, the MX+ seems to be the interface of choice. Has anyone connected using the OBDLink EX (USB) interface?

edehosse

Reaction score
Think I'm finally ready to wrap up the 360 install. Got all my cameras in place, and their respective cables are coiled up in the cab. Lucked out with finding a couple used mirror on ebay that I thought were going to just get scavenged for parts, but they turned out being almost like new. Made the side camera install super simple.

Question is this - Can anyone provide some advice/detail on the best way to run the wiring across the dash? Planning to finalize my install today, and the last step is routing all of the camera cables over to the right footwell, plus run the power/communication harness right to left. At first glance, I'm not seeing an easy path to get through where the center console meets the firewall. Is it best to route everything up in the dash with the radio out? Or should I pull the sides from the console to route everything along the floor/bottom of firewall?

Thanks.

billybaloneey

Reaction score
For the front grill and driver side mirror camera cables I just used a extra long (24") semi rigid cable tie (Harbor Freight has them in packs of 5 I think), and just poked around behind the radio, about where the bottom of the dash ends, (I did not move or remove the center console), till I could exit it and fished the cables through over to the passenger side to make the connections. From there routing was basically "out of site, out of mind", up under the dash/glove box and behind the carpet/padding. Running the power wires was the same in the other direction.

ZeroFactix

Reaction score
Question from someone who is looking to buy a rebel w/out the 360 camera's. If I go through this does it give you the trailering views and such like the stock system does? I would think so but thought I would see if anyone could verify.

TCandee

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 3500 HO Rambox Cummins Limited. I already had the 12” screen with surround view and trailer SV. I bought an upgrade to Uconnect 5 from Infotainment. They told me I would need to upgrade the CVPM to a newer one (56029967AF) to get the surround view working. This would require calibration of the cameras. The problem is, they now tell me they have been unable to get the cameras to be recognized in the new radio with alpha OBD. Very frustrated that I was told I would be able to calibrate the cameras with alpha obd after the install.

There are no soft keys available on the radio for cameras at all so I cannot get to the calibration in alpha OBD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jcostello

Reaction score
I just successfully calibrated my CVPM after upgrading from UC4 to UC5 in my 2019. I had to get a 22+ CVPM to play nicely with the UC5 so I bought a new one and had to calibrate it via AlfaOBD. All of the info in this thread, plus a couple of assists from Jimmy07 and I finally got it done after 2 days. A couple of pointers (most of this is already elsewhere in this thread) that helped me out:

- The front camera was the hardest for me to get calibrated. I was able to get it done on the road in front of my house, which is unmarked (just a residential street in a neighborhood so no center line and no side lines). When doing the front camera, go as slow as the test will allow (basically idle at 2-3 mph). Make sure you're rolling before start the test. Also shadows seem to affect it, so try and do it in a clear area with uniform light.
- The right, left, and rear cameras seem to do better in a parking lot with lines/stripes on the road. I tried endlessly yesterday to get these cameras calibrated on my street but gave up after about an hour of trying. Today I went to a parking lot that had both a center line and parking spots (see image) and the right, left, and rear cameras all calibrated first try. For the right and left cameras, I used the center line to calibrate those, and for the rear I straddled the center line. I couldn't get the front camera to calibrate here because there were a lot of shadows. I noticed every single time I went from a shaded area into a sunny area the test would fail.
- I'm 99% sure the CVPM will hold successful calibrations until/unless you run another calibration on that camera. This morning I calibrated the right/left/rear cameras first then drove home and calibrated the front on my street.

View attachment 177531

In AflaOBD (android version) my procedure was: connect to the CVPM, read faults, clear faults, disconnect, reconnect, read faults, clear faults, then run the calibration on each camera individually. SGW bypass was in the truck. The slower the better, the front did 2-3 mph and the sides/rear I kept it at or below 5 mph.

Side note: if anyone is looking to add the surround view to their UC4 system, I have the stock CVPM from my truck (P/N 68318033AG) available for sale, already calibrated!
Hi, I'd be interested in that CVPM - unless you're saying the up grade to UC5 is worth it! Was looking into that too but seems like all it really adds is wireless CarPlay? (I currently have the 12" UC4).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone done this on a 2024 3500?

I have a 2021 ram 3500 HO Rambox Cummins Limited. I already had the 12” screen with surround view and trailer SV. I bought an upgrade to Uconnect 5 from Infotainment. They told me I would need to upgrade the CVPM to a newer one (56029967AF) to get the surround view working. This would require calibration of the cameras. The problem is, they now tell me they have been unable to get the cameras to be recognized in the new radio with alpha OBD. Very frustrated that I was told I would be able to calibrate the cameras with alpha obd after the install.

There are no soft keys available on the radio for cameras at all so I cannot get to the calibration in alpha OBD. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You're unlikely to get a response here, this is the 1500 (5th gen) site.

Head on over to HDRAMS.COM and you'll get a lot more help with your 3500.

hammersfd

Reaction score
Finally installed everything, have all the buttons and views. Trying to calibrate, keep getting "Failed. Conditions not correct or request sequence error". I attached a picture of my surround screen after clearing faults, and before trying to calibrate the front camera. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_222913350.jpg
    PXL_20240408_222913350.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

saselker

Reaction score
Just a quick thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread! Just completed install on my '22 Rebel, calibration to come.

A few notes from my install experience:

adapter wire not needed for tailgate camera, just carefully shave off the un-needed keying rib on that camera, it will plug right in. Highly recommend this approach if you live in the rust belt, those amazon Chinesium Fakra wires are not weathertight!!!

used Mopar front camera cables, see above

rear camera cable at head unit is the Red one, i tried using the blue one..... for some reason it didn't work LOL
took a long time to find that info in the thread, maybe it can be added to how-to post at the top?

The cameras from Chrysler Pacifica mirrors work in this application, I bought the cheapest most smashed up ones i could find on Ebay and pulled the cameras out. They are significantly less $$$ than Ram mirrors- in any condition. Unfortunately, the the brackets are not the same as a Ram mirror, but the cable is, and as an added bonus if your crafty you can scavenge the wiring for autodim/BSM functions as well.

Being a Rebel, I went with the "cut and splice" method of installing the Grille camera, similar to how another member posted in here. I chose to cut my slot in the "A" further back so it rests more flush with the mesh. Either way it looks close to factory fit.

Removing the Rebel grille is not quite the same as other trims, there is no removable lower piece and the bumper is taller, creating an overlap that is difficult to get the grille past. If i ever pull the grille again, Ill at least loosen the bumper first to make some room(maybe even remove it).

hammersfd

Reaction score
Still no luck, I get "Failed. Conditions not correct or request sequence error." Everytime on every camera. I get this image after clearing faults, then fails as soon as I start the calibration. Do I need the MS-Can Blue adapter? I have the MX+ plugged into my gateway bypass, if it's not plugged into the bypass I get an error say it can't communicate with the CVPM. I'm at a loss.

Attachments

• PXL_20240410_162557385.jpg
    PXL_20240410_162557385.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 17

edehosse

Reaction score
Still no luck, I get "Failed. Conditions not correct or request sequence error." Everytime on every camera. I get this image after clearing faults, then fails as soon as I start the calibration. Do I need the MS-Can Blue adapter? I have the MX+ plugged into my gateway bypass, if it's not plugged into the bypass I get an error say it can't communicate with the CVPM. I'm at a loss.
Not well versed on the use of the MX+, but I'm assuming your using an OBD2 security gateway adapter (Y-harness)?

Only tips I can offer is to try to disconnect and reconnect to the CVPM - When I did mine, it would give weird errors unless I disconnected after each camera. Also, make sure you're moving the minimum MPH (2 I think) before hitting the start button in Alfa.

From the looks of your dash pics, all is working correctly. Why are you trying to calibrate?

hammersfd

Reaction score
I am using a gateway adapter. I was moving the correct speed, and never get to disconnect and reconnect between cameras, because I can't even get 1 camera to run a calibration. I do disconnect and reconnect after each failure. I only get that view after clearing faults as soon as I attempt to calibrate, it fails and goes back to all black around the top down view, and no backup lines.

Last edited:

edehosse

Reaction score
I am using a gateway adapter. I was moving the correct speed, and never get to disconnect and reconnect between cameras, because I can't even get 1 camera to run a calibration. I do disconnect and reconnect after each failure. I only get that view after clearing faults as soon as I attempt to calibrate, it fails and goes back to all black around the top down view, and no backup lines.
Ahh. Gotcha. Sorry but I don't have a clue on that one. I lucked out and had each camera calibrate with no errors. I'm using a wired EX adapter though...

hammersfd

Reaction score
I've now tried with the USB EX, Bluetooth MX+, with and without the MS-CAN Blue adapter. With and without the SGW. I have never got past that failed error once, on any camera.

Fred_Cagedog

Reaction score
I wasn't sure since they stopped offering it in the Bighorn. You never know when they may make a change where the BCM won't see the module...

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wasn't sure since they stopped offering it in the Bighorn. You never know when they may make a change where the BCM won't see the module...

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
They never offered in the Bighorn. But I have a 2020 Bighorn and added it.

hammersfd

Reaction score
Tried again today, no luck. I attached the CVPM status, seems like everything is in order. Not sure what I may be missing. Did you all use the ground lug next to the CVPM? And the white canbus block behind the headlight switch for the harness? Maybe something needs to be programmed differently because it's a Limited or a 23? Grasping at straws, hoping I didn't throw away $1200.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412-171952.png
    Screenshot_20240412-171952.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread