5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
After installing the 360 Surroundview Camera System, I decided to put this together to help others. I know there are several others who have done this. If you have any extra input, please let me know. I will start with the parts list first. Make sure to read the notes. You may need to find the correct part number depending on your configuration or color. It was about $1200 using used items. About $2200 new.

Parts List
1 of CVPM - 68318033AI (Uconnect 4) or 56029964AF (UConnect 5)- This goes in the passenger kick panel. It comes with the mounting bracket.
4 of Camera - 68144068AD - It is the same camera. To save money, I bought used mirrors off of eBay and took the cameras out of them. The mirrors don't need to be in good condition.
1 of Driver Side Mirror - 68276511AG - These vary depending on blind spot monitoring, cap colors, and other options. I bought used ones from eBay.
1 of Passenger Side Mirror - 68276510AH - These vary depending on blind spot monitoring, cap colors, and other options. I bought used ones from eBay.
1 of Front Camera RAM Mount - 68341467AC - This could be different depending on the grill you have.
1 of Front Camera Bracket 1 - 68341480AB - Holds the front camera in the RAM mount.
1 of Front Camera Bracket 2 - 68365873AB - Holds the front camera in the RAM mount.
1 of Tailgate Handle - 6RN80GW7AA - This will vary depending on the color and type of tailgate you have. Replace GW7 with your color code that you can find on the placard on the inside of the driver side door.
1 of 68529657AA - Tailgate handle spacer. This holds the camera in the tailgate handle.
1 of 16.5' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Front Camera to CVPM
1 of 10' Fakra Z - Female to Female Amazon.com - Driver Side Mirror to CVPM
2 of 6' Fakra Z - Female to Female Amazon.com - Pass Side Mirror to CVPM, CVPM Output to Radio
1 of 6' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Rear Camera from Radio to CVPM
1 of 3' Fakra Z - Male to Female Amazon.com - Tailgate Camera Adapter
2 of #6 3/8 Stainless Screws - These are needed to install the front camera in the RAM
1 of Front Camera Jumper Harness - 68322480AD - This isn't really necessary, but it allows you to disconnect the camera easier when removing the grill.
1 of Wiring Harness for CVPM - Jimmy07 can make this for you. Just send him a PM.

Keep in mind that some of the parts listed above need to be researched depending on options on your truck.

The install is pretty simple, but time consuming. I am not going to go into detail on each item. I will give an overview. You can find videos and instructions on removing the items on YouTube and here.

Front Camera:
You need to remove the grill. Once it is removed, you need to remove the RAM letters and replace it with the new one with the camera. Too me, this was the longest part of the build. You can install the jumper harness now too.

Rear Camera:
You need to remove the tailgate handle and replace it with the one with the new camera. And NO, you cannot use the old camera. The new cameras have a wider degree of view. Use the Tailgate Camera Adapter cable in between the factory cable and the new camera.

Driver's side and Passenger side:
Replace the mirrors with the new ones. You will need to install the cameras in the mirrors unless you bought used ones off that already have them installed.

Running the cables:
I ran the front cable down the driver's side and went through one of the firewall rubber gaskets. Make sure to seal it back. I then ran the driver's side mirror and this one together under the dash over to the CVPM. The passenger side doesn't need much running as it is right there. You need to remove the radio. You will unplug the rear camera and plug in the cable to run it to the CVPM. Then plug the other cable into the radio and run it to the CVPM.

CVPM Install:
Remove the passenger side kick panel and install the CVPM. You can hook up all the cables. The CVPM is labeled for the different cameras. Then hookup the wiring harness and run it over to the fuse box. Make sure to plug it into one that comes on with remote start.

AlfaOBD Changes:
You will need an MX+ or switch the cables around. Again, I am not going to go into this as there is information about it already. If you have issues finding the settings, use the search in AlfaOBD.

VehConfig 1: Rear View Camera- NO
VehConfig 2: CHMSL Camera- NO
VehConfig 7: Full Central Vision Processing Present- YES
ECUConfig 3: Rear Camera Present- NO
Radio & Connectivity: Rearview Camera Zoom Buttons Present- YES
Radio & Connectivity: Surround View Camera On/Off Softkey Present- YES
CustSetMenu 1: Rear View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- NOT PRESENT
CustSetMenu 1: Rear Camera CSM Present- NO
CustSetMenu 2: Rear View Camera Delay CSM Present- NO
CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Gridlines CSM Present- YES
CustSetMenu 2: Surround View Camera Delay CSM Present- YES
Cabin Net: CVPM Central vision processing- ENABLE

Once you do this, you should be able to at least see the front and rear cameras in the surround view display. You will now need to calibrate the surround view cameras. This is what you need the MX+ for. Plug in the MX+ using the SGW Bypass. You'll have to calibrate the cameras when you're done. Find an area that you can drive straight at about 4mph for about 400'. Connect to the CVPM in the radio module list. Run the camera calibrations individually for each camera.

Enjoy your new camera system. If you have questions, please post them in here. If I get more time, I will add more details. If anyone has more details to add, let me know and I will add them.

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
Good job, Thank You very much! @Jimmy07 for the front camera said: "20’ fakra z female to female- front camera", what is the reason You used "male to female"? I ordered all cables according to Jimmy07 already

vincentw56

Reaction score
Good job, Thank You very much! @Jimmy07 for the front camera said: "20’ fakra z female to female- front camera", what is the reason You used "male to female"? I ordered all cables according to Jimmy07 already
I don't know, but what I listed is what I used. I also used the jumper wire from Mopar.

St-na

Reaction score
Cameras are the way for saving. New ones are around $400/pc. If You follow advice from @vincentw56 in the first post and buy mirrors with cameras on ebay, You can go as low as $200/pcs,
if You will sale old mirrors on ebay total cost for cameras would be even lower.

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
Got my first mirror today and removed camera. If I will replace my back up camera with surround type now, will it work?

Attachments

• 20221210_142034.jpg
    20221210_142034.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 292

vincentw56

Reaction score
Got my first mirror today and removed camera. If I will replace my back up camera with surround type now, will it work?
I'm not sure, it's easy to get to. You could try it without removing the handle. Just plug it in. Keep in mind, it will look different since it has a wider view, but should be fine.

St-na

Reaction score

Djscandal

Reaction score
Does anybody know if need the 12" radio to have the surround view camera system, or will it work with the 8"

Toperz

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you need spacer for tailgate camera part# is 68529657AA. Mine tailgate handle didn't come with.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
looking at this picture(left) i see white/black lines around truck, mine shows only front and back no sides. Am I missing something?
That pic is on an HD Ram that has tow mirrors and different CVPM. Its CVPM overlays the safety on the sides along with front and rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online