5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add 360 Surround View Camera System

St-na

Reaction score
Continued troubleshooting. I put an object on the ground directly underneath the left mirror camera. I could not see it in the camera.

Comparing my video to Piotr's, mine is definitely pointing forward, and it's pointing more at my door:
View attachment 150094 View attachment 150095
In mine (left), my truck occupies half the image. In Piotr's (right), his truck takes up less than a quarter. I am certain this is the cause/related to my calibration issue.

I do not believe the problem is with my cameras. I have used three different cameras, from two different sellers on eBay. They all had the same forward/inboard pointing view. I think this problem has to be coming from the CPVM.

I physically checked my CPVM to confirm I wasn't sent the wrong model by mistake:
View attachment 150096
It's 56029964AF (at least according to this sticker).

Based on Piotr's information above, and what I've been able to find, this is the correct module for my '22 with non-tow windows. I'm wondering if I just have a defective module and should send it back.
I do not believe, that CVPM is defectives, May be @Jimmy07 can help to solve this issue.

St-na

Reaction score
Thanks for the photo.
I've posted only what found in my mobile, but You are right, that simply checking rather lenses of the cameras are flush and paralel to the cover can confirm proper installation.
I know You have installed cameras in to original mirrors, I did the same. But @rbusbee installed complete mirrors with factory installed cameras. And he tried several units already. As long he has non tow mirrors, camera installation shouldn't be an issue.

rbusbee

Reaction score
Just a thought, since 21st and 22nd models using one CVPM for tow and non tow mirrors, may be there are some settings in alfaobd to be changed.
I was wondering the same. That's why I wanted to compare logs. But, from looking last night, I can't see anything specific that I would change.

I would rather check from this view.
20230129_140429.jpg 20230129_140133.jpg 20230129_135901.jpg
I didn't touch the camera or bracket in this one. It is as it came. As Stepanchina said, I've used different cameras and housings.

I purchased a 3-day subscription to the service manual :rolleyes: , and for '22 Ram DTs, they list only one CVPM, 56029964AF. So, I think this is module, regardless of mirror type.

The reason I'm thinking it's the CVPM is that when I connected the front and back cameras, they immediately had that panoramic, fish-eye view. These side cameras are the same cameras as the ones in the front and back, but the module is cutting it down to just that limited view. Natively, the camera is picking up the area from the front of my truck to the back. I don't know if I'm describing this clearly, but the camera must be sending same, fully field-of-view image to the CVPM, and the CVPM must be picking a subsection of that field-of-view to read and send to the display.

The only instructions I could find in the service manual about programming the CVPM are instructions to calibrate. I think I'm going to try that classic computer repair technique of unplugging and plugging it back in. lol.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Make sure both of these are no.
f3a76ad51afd1feb7872ef748f39828c.jpg
b6d58a870c7fc8e9405a5bae2ff03546.jpg

rbusbee

Reaction score
Make sure both of these are no.
f3a76ad51afd1feb7872ef748f39828c.jpg
b6d58a870c7fc8e9405a5bae2ff03546.jpg
Those are good.
Screenshot_20230129_150829_AlfaOBD.jpg Screenshot_20230129_150747_AlfaOBD.jpg

Weird thing happened, though. I switched the wires, just to see what would happen. When I did, the images were closer to correct, in the sense that my truck took up less of the image, but obviously mismatched:
20230129_151725.jpg Left Camera.jpg
Left is mismatched, right is correct. I also notice a black bar on the edges that is not present in Piotr's pics.

rbusbee

Reaction score
I can rule out the cameras as the problem. I plugged the rear camera into the right camera port. It pointed off to the driver's side and still had the black bar on the side.

20230129_170331.jpg

I plugged the right camera into the rear port, and I could suddenly see straight down, and there was no black bar.
20230129_170438.jpg
The problem is happening inside the module.

St-na

Reaction score
I can rule out the cameras as the problem. I plugged the rear camera into the right camera port. It pointed off to the driver's side and still had the black bar on the side.

View attachment 150187

I plugged the right camera into the rear port, and I could suddenly see straight down, and there was no black bar.
View attachment 150188
The problem is happening inside the module.
or CVPM is trying to build an image for tow mirrors.

rbusbee

Reaction score
or CVPM is trying to build an image for tow mirrors.
Maybe, but I don't have tow mirrors, and my settings don't say I have tow mirrors. How do I tell it I have normal mirrors?

Edit: and there's the black bar in both images, like the video tracking isn't lined up.

Last edited:

MLB12

Reaction score
This calibration issue has been the most frustrating thing for me. After all the time and work, to get to the very end and keep running into a brick wall over and over!

Here's where I'm at. I completed installation of parts and wiring and alfaobd programming. Cameras appear on display:
View attachment 150036 View attachment 150037 View attachment 150038

In initial attempt to calibrate, front and rear calibrate quickly. Mirror cams give me trouble. Left camera eventually calibrates after several attempts. Right does not. So, I order another mirror with camera from Ebay. Install, and try again. I'm having the same problem.

During troubleshoot, I recalibrate all cameras. Again, front and rear calibrate right away. Left camera now will not re-calibrate and right still does not. I have tried different surfaces and speeds. Going as slow as possible, in the middle and 7-8mph. I'm running out of ideas.

I can't help but notice that the front and rear had a fish-eye view right away, before calibration. Left and right just seem to point at front tires.

Do you guys have any ideas/suggestions?

I posted the same scenario a few weeks ago, so it's good to know that I'm not the only one with this issue. It does appear though that I might be the only one with a 2021 with the UC5 and non-tow mirrors.
This is getting extremely frustrating, so I'm watching this very closely.

St-na

Reaction score
I guess biggest connector on the left (aside from other 4) is from rear camera. On camera itself connector was pink, but cable with the pink connector on head unit marked as antenna.

Attachments

• 20200215_135608 - Head Unit (1).jpg
    20200215_135608 - Head Unit (1).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 88

TheLegend

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good install video for this? I am going to do BSM, CPD, & 360 all in one build. Part numbers I’m pretty sure on it’s the actual installation and wiring I’m not sure about. Any help is much appreciated.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good install video for this? I am going to do BSM, CPD, & 360 all in one build. Part numbers I’m pretty sure on it’s the actual installation and wiring I’m not sure about. Any help is much appreciated.
I don't have a video, but it is pretty easy. The hardest part is running the video cables.

TheLegend

Reaction score
I don't have a video, but it is pretty easy. The hardest part is running the video cables.
So, I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Southwest with 12” screen. These are the part numbers am I missing anything I’m assuming running the wires all just go to the processor in the passenger front kick panel and the back up camera I have now just switches out with the Surround View Camera? Basically I’m getting the complete side view mirrors and taillights complete with BSM & CPD. The mirrors come with the surround view built in them already. And just mounting the front mirror to the RAM part of my grill? Below is my parts list. Basically I feel like this kills two birds with one stone and beats buying the kits from other websites that costs just about as much and I get 360 cameras.

5ZK48JSCAH (BS Right Mirror) $434
6YJ65JSCAB (BS Left Mirror) $434
68262531AH (Full Left Taillight w/Both)$712.62
68262530AH (Full Right Taillight w/Both) $712
68144068AD (Surround View Camera) $352 - 2 (Grill & Tailgate)
68341467AC (RAM Decal Front Camera) $30
68341484AB (Camera Bracket for Grill) $7
68364322AA (Screw Set) $3
56029964AF (Camera Processor Module) Passenger Kick Panel $338
68436659AA (Rear Camera Cable) $34
68533364AA (Front Camera Cable) $60
68436658AA (Left Camera Cable) $33
68436659AA Right Camera Cable) $34
68416789AA (Cable Camera Output) $30

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
You have to watch on youtube each step, most are shown there

St-na

Reaction score
I did not know, that RAM offered Laramie Southwest addition for '22, how is it possible that Southwest package comes without BSM. All the parts shown in the first post works nicely with my Laramie Southwest '21 for surround view, but for sure You need different CVPM, as shown in this thread already.

6RN821SCAA handle tailgate (billet silver)
Also You need spacer, same as shown in this thread

Last edited:

TheLegend

Reaction score
I did not know, that RAM offered Laramie Southwest addition for '22, how is it possible that Southwest package comes without BSM. All the parts shown in the first post works nicely with my Laramie Southwest '21 for surround view, but for sure You need different CVPM, as shown in this thread already.

6RN821SCAA handle tailgate (billet silver)
Also You need spacer, same as shown in this thread
Chip shortage and just all around shortages wouldn’t allow me to get it had only Level A and Level B packages at the time really sucks but I’m trying to make due with what I have now. Thanks for letting me know.

Users who are viewing this thread