5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s awesome. Wondering what kind of oil and filters you used?

Is the motor untouched? Any major repairs during that time?

I find those high mileage vehicles interesting. Nice to see long term results. Whatever you did obviously worked.

I have no idea what they used, but since I did actually get the oil changes done at the dealership, I have to assume they used a Mopar filter. I did them at the dealership because they would take you right in and only charged $39.95. No appointment needed. Over the years it has crept up to $59.99.
I never altered the engine in any way. The only thing I changed on that truck was adding step rails.
I did have a lifter tap at about 98,000 miles which the dealer took care of under warranty (it was 100,000 miles on 2014s), other than that, no engine work. I had them change the plugs and wires when they did that repair. That was the only time I changed them.
I had a radiator leak somewhere around 320,000 miles that cost around $340 for a replacement. Changed the battery once. I did the brakes at 185,000 and then again at 412,000 miles. I went thru the factory Goodyear Wranglers and after that put 100,000 miles on every set of replacement tires, which were Cooper Discoverer All Terrains (AT3?)

That truck doesn't owe me a penny.

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no idea what they used, but since I did actually get the oil changes done at the dealership, I have to assume they used a Mopar filter. I did them at the dealership because they would take you right in and only charged $39.95. No appointment needed. Over the years it has crept up to $59.99.
I never altered the engine in any way. The only thing I changed on that truck was adding step rails.
I did have a lifter tap at about 98,000 miles which the dealer took care of under warranty (it was 100,000 miles on 2014s), other than that, no engine work. I had them change the plugs and wires when they did that repair. That was the only time I changed them.
I had a radiator leak somewhere around 320,000 miles that cost around $340 for a replacement. Changed the battery once. I did the brakes at 185,000 and then again at 412,000 miles. I went thru the factory Goodyear Wranglers and after that put 100,000 miles on every set of replacement tires, which were Cooper Discoverer All Terrains (AT3?)

Been a great truck. That one sure wasn’t built on a Friday. 😆

Florida RAM

Reaction score

I've been around the car forums long enough (mostly BMW for years, then F150s and now Ram 1500) to notice a trend that people who don't mess around with their vehicles with mods and simply follow manufacturer recommendations regarding maintenance tend to have less problems.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been around the car forums long enough (mostly BMW for years, then F150s and now Ram 1500) to notice a trend that people who don't mess around with their vehicles with mods and simply follow manufacturer recommendations regarding maintenance tend to have less problems.
We both know that isn't a trend.
People who don't "mess around with their vehicles" aren't on car forums. My brother in law has had 2 F150s die on him. 1 transmissions and the other was something with the engine. Hes never done anything except take it to the dealership for service. Both under 100k miles.
It doesn't matter if you do or don't do to your car, its going to have the same flaws and pros. It's about people the keep up with proper maintenance regardless of what the manufacturer claims. The manufacturer isn't looking out for the consumer. The manufacturer wants your car to last long enough you are happy so when it breaks you buy a new one. Nothing more nothing less. I know people that would buy a new car every 40-60k miles because the dealership would claim a major problem is about to happen on the car outside of warranty and they should trade it in, and they always would.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
We both know that isn't a trend.
People who don't "mess around with their vehicles" aren't on car forums. My brother in law has had 2 F150s die on him. 1 transmissions and the other was something with the engine. Hes never done anything except take it to the dealership for service. Both under 100k miles.
It doesn't matter if you do or don't do to your car, its going to have the same flaws and pros. It's about people the keep up with proper maintenance regardless of what the manufacturer claims. The manufacturer isn't looking out for the consumer. The manufacturer wants your car to last long enough you are happy so when it breaks you buy a new one. Nothing more nothing less. I know people that would buy a new car every 40-60k miles because the dealership would claim a major problem is about to happen on the car outside of warranty and they should trade it in, and they always would.
Yeah, you know a guy. It happens. It's a big conspiracy...

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People who don't "mess around with their vehicles" aren't on car forums.
dd0.png

Reverse

Reaction score
I follow the dash indicator, which works out to 10,000 miles. So I trust, but also verify occasionally by sending a sample to Blackstone. They always come back with a passing score. The last one I did for the 2020 even stated that I could go 12,000 miles between changes based on their analysis of the oil I sent in (taken at 10,000 mile interval change). I won't, but that's good to know.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I follow the dash indicator, which works out to 10,000 miles. So I trust, but also verify occasionally by sending a sample to Blackstone. They always come back with a passing score. The last one I did for the 2020 even stated that I could go 12,000 miles between changes based on their analysis of the oil I sent in (taken at 10,000 mile interval change). I won't, but that's good to know.
About where does it sit when you get it changed?

Just had mine changed earlier this week. At 7,249 miles, indicator was at 5%. That was with a lot of towing.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One warning about Blackstone is that they are not an accredited lab, so their calibration, policies, training etc. may be lacking.
To continue on more important things, they report TBN which will report ALL basic compounds in the oil, even ones that are weak and not working that strong. I have also read that the way Blackstone labs measures fuel dilution is notoriously inaccurate. My analysis now gets done by Polaris Labs and I get the kit from AMSOIL.

Just had mine changed earlier this week. At 7,249 miles, indicator was at 5%. That was with a lot of towing.
That's about what I saw with my 1500, I had about 50% towing and was around 7500 miles for every change.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

For comparison with a truck which has done no towing, my oil life indicator pretty much tracks with mileage. Changed the oil about 3 weeks ago with the oil life indicator reading about 20%. Mileage was at about 8k miles.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For comparison with a truck which has done no towing, my oil life indicator pretty much tracks with mileage. Changed the oil about 3 weeks ago with the oil life indicator reading about 20%. Mileage was at about 8k miles.
Must be the 3.92s and my superb payload. :LOL:

main-qimg-f2e2d07c500e5ef51efda4f4ca45884f

Reverse

Reaction score

I change it as near 1% as I can - mileage is close to 10,000 then, so every 1% = 100 miles. I don't tow.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I change it as near 1% as I can - mileage is close to 10,000 then, so every 1% = 100 miles. I don't tow.
I don't know if I'd run my oil down to almost useless. That seems a bit risky to me.

20% is my minimum.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd run my oil down to almost useless. That seems a bit risky to me.

20% is my minimum.
Been running mine down to less than 1% as long as I’ve been driving truck with oil life monitors. Easily over 700,000 miles. Done my own oil changes on every single one. 10,000 miles each time and never had a single issue. The oil is far from useless after those miles. Actually looks pretty good yet but I do a lot of highway miles.

Dealers tell people to bring them in at 20% because they make more money that way. The owners manual says to change spark plugs at 100,000 miles. Does that mean it should really be done at 80,000 miles?🤔

Last edited:

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been running mine down to less than 1% as long as I’ve been driving truck with oil life monitors. Easily over 700,000 miles. Done my own oil changes on every single one. 10,000 miles each time and never had a single issue. The oil is far from useless after those miles. Actually looks pretty good yet but I do a lot of highway miles.

Dealers tell people to bring them in at 20% because they make more money that way. The owners manual says to change spark plugs at 100,000 miles. Does that mean it should really be done at 80,000 miles?🤔
Dude, I stated my preference. I wasn't giving a recommendation.

Feel free to continue doing you. 👍

puba08

Reaction score
Change mine once a year. Only put in like 7500 miles annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Does the motor explode @ 0? 🙄🙄🙄
It's funny how engine oil is always one of the most controversial discussions on every car forum. Here are some truths that I am sure some people will be offened by:
-Changing engine oil regularly is the single most important thing you can do for your vehicle.
-Going past the mileage limit between oil changes will not ruin your engine, but doing so regularly could.
-There is very little actual difference between oil brands.
-Switching between synthetic and dino will not ruin your engine.
-You aren't smarter than the engineers. Use whatever oil the manufacturer recommends.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how engine oil is always one of the most controversial discussions on every car forum. Here are some truths that I am sure some people will be offened by:
-Changing engine oil regularly is the single most important thing you can do for your vehicle.
-Going past the mileage limit between oil changes will not ruin your engine, but doing so regularly could.
-There is very little actual difference between oil brands.
-Switching between synthetic and dino will not ruin your engine.
-You aren't smarter than the engineers. Use whatever oil the manufacturer recommends.
I agree mostly.
Any oil will protect your engine, just some not as long as others. This will get people too...even dino oil in a 5.7 will work, as long as you change it often enough so that the oil is still effective. Mainly, that the viscosity is in range but there's other things to watch in oil analysis too.
Synthetic oils, and manufacturers requiring 0W or 5W oil have really levelled the playing field. However, there are anti-wear additives that are certainly more expensive than others and work better.
Because synthetics are better base oils, there's more volume left for cleaning additives which is why it got such a bad name for "making" engines leak. It didn't make the leaks, it just cleaned the garbage that was preventing you from seeing that there was a leak path. Some higher end oils account for this by adding things that will actually cause seals to swell and become pliable again to help prevent that from happening.
EPA/CARB is who is getting the last say on oil weights nowadays...fuel economy standards are driving it and pumping fluids is a huge HP loss.

There's new DI engines that call for 0w-20 and then have fuel dilution through the roof...can't be good when the engine actually makes peak torque and the film strength just isn't there... But CARB doesn't care about that!

Users who are viewing this thread