5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Me either, unless it's a super old beater. I don't care what manufacturers say, I don't consider that normal at all.
As car guys, we know it's not normal, but trying to get the manufacturers to agree is a different story.

On a side note, I have a 2000 Dakota R/T. About 10 years ago I had the engine completely rebuilt. Bored out .030, high compression forged Pistons, Eagle SIR rods, big cam, aluminum heads, 4bbl intake manifold, headers....... Since it was built, it's burned about 1qt of oil every 1000-1500 miles depending on how I drive. According to Florida Ram, this is a catastrophic failure. It saw regular drag strip time, and I never drove it easy unless cruising in highway. I carried a case of oil with me when doing cross country trips knowing it used oil. I tried everything I could think of to "fix" it. Replaced rings, re-honed cylinders, had heads completely rebuilt, even went as far as finding another block and having it machined thinking it was a bad bore job. Still burned oil. Cylinders didn't show much oil burning, and no external oil leaks. Said screw it, it's just going to be "normal" for this engine. Even threw nitrous at it the last couple years spraying up to a 200 wet shot. Never had a single issue other than oil consumption. That is, until I switched out my MSD ignition for a Jacobs, and didn't get my rec limiter and nitrous window switch reconnected. It didn't like hitting neutral at WOT on a 200 shot with no safeties to shut it down. Blew head gasket and put a hole in cylinder. Still drove it home from the track.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not a common issue. I figured someone would look for an article.

Common enough to warrant a technical service bulletin. Isn’t that better than an article?

Just because you’ve not heard about it doesn’t mean it’s not a common occurrence and that those aren’t the limits manufactures impose.

Oddly enough it seems that the hemi is relatively good when it comes to consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMach

Reaction score
As a tech and a fleet manager, engine oil is doing more than ever the last 10-15 years. I personally change mine at 6k miles in my hemi and it’s usually at about 50% oil life. No reason for an oil brand or oil filter debate. I use full synthetic due the longer intervals, and I’m a diehard Hastings/Baldwin filter guy. Realistically if you wait much longer on anything, the tires will suffer. I rotate at every oil change. I’m not kicking lift arms under it again at 8500 miles when the light comes on then again to just rotate tires.

I do 6k intervals with my 5.9 cummins on 15w-40 valvoline premium blue.

6k intervals on the 3.2 cherokee.
5k down to 3k intervals on my 99 Dakota due to age and mileage for safety reasons.
5k intervals on the widely hated 2.7 chrysler.

HSKR R/T,
I knew that name was familiar. I remember you from the old Dakota USA boards from over 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not a common issue. I figured someone would look for an article.
You want an article?

Here's the one for FCA

It is considered normal for the engines to burn 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles for the first 50,000 miles per FCA.
They keep releaseing TSBs with the same information every couple of years or so I see a bunch of these with the same verbiage from 2012 and on.
1651157436740.png

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck is sitting at 5,542 miles. Tells me my oil life is at 31%. Nothing is yelling at me yet.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a tech and a fleet manager, engine oil is doing more than ever the last 10-15 years. I personally change mine at 6k miles in my hemi and it’s usually at about 50% oil life. No reason for an oil brand or oil filter debate. I use full synthetic due the longer intervals, and I’m a diehard Hastings/Baldwin filter guy. Realistically if you wait much longer on anything, the tires will suffer. I rotate at every oil change. I’m not kicking lift arms under it again at 8500 miles when the light comes on then again to just rotate tires.

I do 6k intervals with my 5.9 cummins on 15w-40 valvoline premium blue.

6k intervals on the 3.2 cherokee.
5k down to 3k intervals on my 99 Dakota due to age and mileage for safety reasons.
5k intervals on the widely hated 2.7 chrysler.

HSKR R/T,
I knew that name was familiar. I remember you from the old Dakota USA boards from over 20 years ago.
Yeah, been using same name on forums since back then. The R/T really doesn't apply to Rams anymore, but like you, some will recognize me for my user name(good or bad). This is my broken R/T in my garage. Waiting on funds to bring her back to life as a 410 stroker

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-082852~2.png
    Screenshot_20211208-082852~2.png
    720.7 KB · Views: 22

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck is sitting at 5,542 miles. Tells me my oil life is at 31%. Nothing is yelling at me yet.
Generally people say to change it at 25% oil life.
I don't know how accurate those fancy timers really are. I feel like they are are just for people that don't pay attention and need something to remind them that someone major is going to brake if they don't do something.
Can send your oil out to Blackstone Laboratories for a few oil changes and determine if you need to change it sooner or later, or just do what you want. Oil changes are relativity cheap compared to other work needing to be done on trucks imo. I go 5-7.5k miles and change it and always use full syn. Can do a 7qt oil change for $40 myself (including the filter). I have enough oil in my basement for around 6 changes as I stock up from BJs when oil goes to around $4.16 a quart for Mobile 1 (single containers in 6 packs).

Here's another TSB for 2012-2013

The acceptable loss is the same except for after 50k miles it says it's normal to lose 1 quart of oil every 750 miles driven. Could you image owning something with 50k miles burning through a quart of oil every 750 miles?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You want an article?

Here's the one for FCA

It is considered normal for the engines to burn 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles for the first 50,000 miles per FCA.
They keep releaseing TSBs with the same information every couple of years or so I see a bunch of these with the same verbiage from 2012 and on.
View attachment 127984
That's not from the owners manual and it's certainly not normal. It's class action lawsuit avoiding legalese...I'll give you that. :D

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Generally people say to change it at 25% oil life.
I don't know how accurate those fancy timers really are. I feel like they are are just for people that don't pay attention and need something to remind them that someone major is going to brake if they don't do something.
Can send your oil out to Blackstone Laboratories for a few oil changes and determine if you need to change it sooner or later, or just do what you want. Oil changes are relativity cheap compared to other work needing to be done on trucks imo. I go 5-7.5k miles and change it and always use full syn. Can do a 7qt oil change for $40 myself (including the filter). I have enough oil in my basement for around 6 changes as I stock up from BJs when oil goes to around $4.16 a quart for Mobile 1 (single containers in 6 packs).

Here's another TSB for 2012-2013

The acceptable loss is the same except for after 50k miles it says it's normal to lose 1 quart of oil every 750 miles driven. Could you image owning something with 50k miles burning through a quart of oil every 750 miles?
That TSB is all lies. :p Florida Ram says no manufacturer says that much oil consumption is acceptable

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not from the owners manual and it's certainly not normal. It's class action lawsuit avoiding legalese...I'll give you that. :D
Correct it's not in the manual. I thought it was as I read every single page but I also read several TSB. The rambox one even pertained to me. I had to tell them about using the "essential tool" when the tech was fixing it. I asked if he ever did this before and hes like "I have never seen this tool before".

There is actually a class action law suite currently going against FCA for an older engine type. Just because something is in the manual or a TSB doesn't mean it's legal. I believe was is argued is that needing to put in additional oil between oil changes is not considered normal. I would consider is normal for something has has 150k miles on it or something, not less.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
You want an article?

Here's the one for FCA

View attachment 127984
Well, there it is. That is good info. I'm just saying it is not a common issue. I'm new to the Ram world, but I've been on BMW forums for many, many years. Never really saw much about them burning through oil like that. Never once did I ever have a low oil light come on on any of my cars in all those years. Is it common for the low oil light to come on in their Ram? I am surprised to read that Chrysler considers 1 QT every 2,000 miles acceptable. That's almost 1/2 your oil gone in between changes. I wonder at what level you get a warning.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That’s what a dip stick is for.

My last 2017 Silverado I had since new started to burn oil before 20k. Albeit it was a quart every 6k, it would have only gotten worse.

Lots of people don’t check their oil between oil changes. So most never notice it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s what a dip stick is for.

My last 2017 Silverado I had since new started to burn oil before 20k. Albeit it was a quart every 6k, it would have only gotten worse.

Lots of people don’t check their oil between oil changes. So most never notice it.

Your Silverado had a problem.
My 18 Silverado never burned oil and I got it new at 46 miles. When I sold it 4 years later at 44k never had any problem. MDS was disabled so maybe if you left MDS on that might be why you were burning oil.
When they put in acceptable about of oil loss they want the consumer to think it's normal to reduce the number of complaints.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
AFM/dod was turned off with a tuner from day one. I’ve owned three new silverados with afm. That was the only one that did it. And I also helped run one of the full size gm forums and saw it quite a lot.

Just saying it’s more of a common problem across many manufactures than people are willing to admit.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
AFM/dod was turned off with a tuner from day one. I’ve owned three new silverados with afm. That was the only one that did it. And I also helped run one of the full size gm forums and saw it quite a lot.

Just saying it’s more of a common problem across many manufactures than people are willing to admit.

Key word is "problem", not normal.
No one is claiming it's good to lose oil, but it does happen, and companies are going to do whatever they can to not be liable.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I never said it was normal.

I said it’s more common than people realize and manufactures have stupid high levels of consumptions rates they deem as normal.

One quart per 1-2k miles seems to be the standard of what manufactures say is ok.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct it's not in the manual. I thought it was as I read every single page but I also read several TSB. The rambox one even pertained to me. I had to tell them about using the "essential tool" when the tech was fixing it. I asked if he ever did this before and hes like "I have never seen this tool before".

There is actually a class action law suite currently going against FCA for an older engine type. Just because something is in the manual or a TSB doesn't mean it's legal. I believe was is argued is that needing to put in additional oil between oil changes is not considered normal. I would consider is normal for something has has 150k miles on it or something, not less.
This is what's wrong with our court system.

"According to the proposed settlement, the 42 plaintiffs who sued will receive $1,000 to $3,000 each, while the attorneys representing those plaintiffs will receive $7.5 million."

Users who are viewing this thread