5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

Runagun

Reaction score
I agree to mostly what was written above. Most people change oil too soon. If you have a good synthetic it'll last for a good 10k miles. What many people don't do is check oil regularly. Make sure no leaks or burns. Keep oil filled at all times. Now why synthetics are better is they typically handle different climates better than conventional oils. Ever see a conventional oil below 0 degrees? Compare that to a synthetic you'd never want to use conventional oil again. Now if ur in a hot state you won't have to worry about conventional oil solidifying. But conventional oils do burn off quicker then synthetics. So synthetics are the best way to go for Every situation.
Now some synthetics are better than others. That's a whole other discussion tho.

Bob.

Reaction score
8546 miles on my oil. Level is exactly where it was when I changed 3 months ago.
What you put on in 3 months, I put on in 3 years. Every one has different roads to and from work. I happen to be 3 miles from work now. 5.7 barely warms up in the winter. I change my oil twice a year because of all the moisture in it. It doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. Synthetic oil is better and flows better in the winter, no question. However fresh / clean conventional motor oil flows fine too. Just when there is some mileage on the conventional oil the flow is degraded a lot in the winter.

About synthetic...
I'm 60 now. Been owing and driving vehicles for over 40 years. Way before synthetic was even popular. Many didn't even trust it at first. I never had an oil related failure in any car or truck or lawnmower using old fashioned motor oil. I even ran a 52 chevy for years and that never had an oil filter on the engine. Just change the oil often to get the junk out.

I never look at the oil life meter. I don't trust it to be accurate for my style of driving.

Last edited:

beetlespin

Reaction score
Going to change mine when I hit 5000 miles and then whenever the truck monitor hits 25% oil life left.

spg993tt

Reaction score
This is a good question! I use Penzoil Platinum synthetic and change it way to often at 5000 miles with about 45% life remaining shown on the dash gage. But I get an email from Carfax saying my regular maintenance record says it's overdue. I suppose it will show up when someone looks at a Carfax report that my truck wasn't maintained properly! View attachment 127692
first, thx for such a valuable and informative group. im now doing my own oil changes about every 5000. i rotated my tires the other day (2021 power wagon 6.4l) that was a bit of a bear as i have a terrible wrist from a bad bike wreck years ago. anyway, my question is....now that im doing oil, and probably tire rotations, what other periodic maintence should i be doing thats also relatively easy, and for someone with moderate technical skills , what maintenance items should i leave to the dealership ...basically trying to come up with a schedule of DIY maintenance. (normally if i took it to the dealer, they'd tell me when certain things are due). is the maintenance schedule in the manual adequate?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
first, thx for such a valuable and informative group. im now doing my own oil changes about every 5000. i rotated my tires the other day (2021 power wagon 6.4l) that was a bit of a bear as i have a terrible wrist from a bad bike wreck years ago. anyway, my question is....now that im doing oil, and probably tire rotations, what other periodic maintence should i be doing thats also relatively easy, and for someone with moderate technical skills , what maintenance items should i leave to the dealership ...basically trying to come up with a schedule of DIY maintenance. (normally if i took it to the dealer, they'd tell me when certain things are due). is the maintenance schedule in the manual adequate?
Put lubing hinges and locks on your list. It will pay back if you are a long time owner.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go to the dealer & buy discounted packages of 3 of the oil changes/tire rotations & perform them every 5,000 miles. Pretty much one every month or 2 with how much I drive for work - picked up my new 22 on April 8th & have almost 12k on it already.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a 1/2" drive Milwaukee impact to make tire rotations easier.

Rear differential fluid changes about every 60k miles

Coolant every 100K.

spg993tt

Reaction score

Coolant every 100K.
what air filters are there? they require replacement or cleaning/servicing, etc? are there cabin filters on these things?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
what air filters are there? they require replacement or cleaning/servicing, etc? are there cabin filters on these things?
Yes, cabin air filter. Every 20k miles.

Air filter when it's dirty, or switch to an aftermarket one.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just did my 3rd oil change, which I do once a year regardless of how low the mileage is. If I drove her more often, I would do 5,000 or 1 year, which ever came first on synthetic.

This time I only got 2,500 miles on this oil change. Seems like a waste I know, but to stay under powertrain warranty, I cannot avoid an annual oil change even with so little miles.

Bob.

Reaction score
i rotated my tires the other day (2021 power wagon 6.4l) that was a bit of a bear as i have a terrible wrist from a bad bike wreck years ago.

Lube the hinges once in a while and regular oil changes are the #1 thing to do to your truck. Your engine loves clean fresh oil.

Also
I recommend you look into a tire dolly, they really help me not strain rotating tires. If you ever hurt your back, your finished for life.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lube the hinges once in a while and regular oil changes are the #1 thing to do to your truck. Your engine loves clean fresh oil.

Also
I recommend you look into a tire dolly, they really help me not strain rotating tires. If you ever hurt your back, your finished for life.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Coolant every 100K.
I prefer my 3/8 Milwaukee impact.

lighter and packs more then enough punch for anything I have thrown at it.
Also torsion bars so you don't need to use a torque wrench. I have a cheap set from Harbor freight that are within 1-3 ft-lbs every time I check them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer my 3/8 Milwaukee impact.

lighter and packs more then enough punch for anything I have thrown at it.
Also torsion bars so you don't need to use a torque wrench. I have a cheap set from Harbor freight that are within 1-3 ft-lbs every time I check them.
I've had lug nuts intalles by tire shops, using torque sticks, that even my 1/2" drive wouldn't break loose and had to grab my 30" breaker bar. And since it doesn't have to work as hard on correctly torque lug nuts, battery lasts longer

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've had lug nuts intalles by tire shops, using torque sticks, that even my 1/2" drive wouldn't break loose and had to grab my 30" breaker bar. And since it doesn't have to work as hard on correctly torque lug nuts, battery lasts longer
Don't knock the tool if the person using the tool is dumb\you haven't tried it

There is an "art" of using torque bars, you don't just let it hammer till the cows come home.

I find letting it impact for 1-2 seconds TOPS with a torque bar gives the desired results.
This also depends on what impact you are using, 3/8, 1/2 battery vs air.

From what I can tell people using air tools in shops get bad results with the torque sticks for whatever reason, and they also beat the crap out of them and use them daily in shops and never check the torque and replace the sticks when they wear out. These are wear and tear items that don't last forever (even if they don't snap) so I would recommend checking them after every 50 uses or so or if it feels off.

The tire shops around here use air impacts without torque sticks, so you best believe i'm stuck re-torquing them whenever I have a tire put on or what not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't knock the tool if the person using the tool is dumb\you haven't tried it

There is an "art" of using torque bars, you don't just let it hammer till the cows come home.

I find letting it impact for 1-2 seconds TOPS with a torque bar gives the desired results.
This also depends on what impact you are using, 3/8, 1/2 battery vs air.

From what I can tell people using air tools in shops get bad results with the torque sticks for whatever reason, and they also beat the crap out of them and use them daily in shops and never check the torque and replace the sticks when they wear out. These are wear and tear items that don't last forever (even if they don't snap) so I would recommend checking them after every 50 uses or so or if it feels off.

The tire shops around here use air impacts without torque sticks, so you best believe i'm stuck re-torquing them whenever I have a tire put on or what not.
Wasn't knocking the torque sticks. I k ow they work when properly maintained. Was just saying my 1/2" wouldn't "bust a nut" sometimes. Also, most impact sockets are 1/2" drive.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Also

After doing a little research, I bought this tire dolly. This type of dolly seems a little easier to use.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Just did my 3rd oil change, which I do once a year regardless of how low the mileage is. If I drove her more often, I would do 5,000 or 1 year, which ever came first on synthetic.

This time I only got 2,500 miles on this oil change. Seems like a waste I know, but to stay under powertrain warranty, I cannot avoid an annual oil change even with so little miles.
How would that void your warranty? I don't think you are under any obligation to provide proof that you changed your oil at any particular intervals.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How would that void your warranty? I don't think you are under any obligation to provide proof that you changed your oil at any particular intervals.
The manual, and even oil manufacturers, say change at 1 year...which we all know with new synthetic oils that is not needed...but it's a CYA.
The proof may not be required, but it will definitely help to have all the data you can to backup your claim should something happen.

Users who are viewing this thread